TMO Forum Mgmt - Text is Getting Cut Off Again in Safari

Posted: 17 September 2011 09:40 PM

And I’m not sure why.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 18 September 2011 08:06 AM #1

Yes, it’s happening on my screen as well (1680 x 1050, Safari 5.1). It seems as if the advertisements are clipping parts of the text.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 18 September 2011 11:54 AM #2

concur. contacted Adam to see if he can address it.

[ Edited: 18 September 2011 11:58 AM by Intruder ]

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 18 September 2011 07:18 PM #3

Sorry this is happening. Something that would be helpful for me troubleshooting this issue would be a link to the specific thread(s) that are having issues. Generally it is due to our moving to a fixed width site layout to better support full screen mode in Lion. I have been trying to quickly adjust the CSS as these problems come up, but it’s helpful to me to have a page I can test against. Thanks.

Posted: 18 September 2011 07:18 PM #4

Ah ha, and I see in my post above it is slightly cut off, so I guess I now have my example. wink

Posted: 18 September 2011 08:19 PM #5

Ok, I think I at least go this one tackled. I know there are some other places and will continue to try and fix them as quickly as possible. Thanks for the heads up on this one.

Posted: 18 September 2011 09:52 PM #6

Thanks.  I take it you mean the fix is on the way, because right now, the slight text cutoff deal is still happening (because of the way the forum column and ad/info columns are getting in each other’s way).

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 10 December 2012 03:20 AM #7

Really you are right. Ok, I think I at least go this one tackled.

Posted: 27 February 2013 10:11 PM #8

Also, on an iPad:

1. the blue bar at the top still comes down the page in landscape view, and covers the top of the reply text box so you can’t see what you’re typing unless you flip the iPad to portrait view. It’s been like this for a long time.

2. Worse is the intermittent freezing and bombing of Safari when you hit the login icon, and the username-password fields come up. At times when you try to log in it happens. If you quit, then restart Safari, sometimes it clears it, sometimes not. It’s like it’s hung trying to execute something. The only way I’ve gotten it to work is to pinch and snap the page size.

Signature

pbg

Posted: 28 February 2013 12:52 AM #9

Paul Goodwin - 27 February 2013 10:11 PM

Also, on an iPad:
    1. the blue bar at the top still comes down the page in landscape view, and covers the top of the reply text box so you can’t see what you’re typing unless you flip the iPad to portrait view. It’s been like this for a long time.

This is on the list to get addressed, but with only one developer and some other more critical items it might be a while. I’ve tried looking into it a few times, but haven;t yet found a solution. It has to do with a bug when using “fixed” CSS elements and the iPad. I’m open to suggestions in someone can help me track down a fix.

Paul Goodwin - 27 February 2013 10:11 PM

2. Worse is the intermittent freezing and bombing of Safari when you hit the login icon, and the username-password fields come up. At times when you try to log in it happens. If you quit, then restart Safari, sometimes it clears it, sometimes not. It’s like it’s hung trying to execute something. The only way I’ve gotten it to work is to pinch and snap the page size.

I’ve never experienced this one, is there a way to reliably reproduce it? Which gen iPad and iOS version?

Posted: 28 February 2013 09:50 AM #10

Hi Adam,

On #1 above, I was wrong. The blue bar is a problem in both Portrait and Landscape.

On # 2: it is an odd one. It just happened to me again when I tried to log in. The only things running were Mail and Safari. No other tabs in Safari open. As soon as I tried typing in the login text field, Safari bombed and closed. All I did was reopen Safari, and repeat the process and it worked fine. I leave it on Auto Login on future visits so I don’t see it as a big problem…auto login never fails Safari.

iPad 2 32GB with 3.4 GB free, iOS 6.1.2 (problem was there in all prior iOS 6).

Thanks for responding.

Signature

pbg

Posted: 28 February 2013 10:22 AM #11

Thanks Paul. I have an iPad 2 around here, so I’ll try and give it a try and see if that’s a factor in the crashing problems.

• Posted: 20 March 2013 08:07 AM #12

nice job smile

Posted: 20 March 2013 10:51 AM #13

Adam Christianson - 28 February 2013 10:22 AM

Thanks Paul. I have an iPad 2 around here, so I’ll try and give it a try and see if that’s a factor in the crashing problems.

I just experience the crash on login again a couple of times today. I had Splashtop running on the iPad at the time, which is quite a memory hog, but very useful. TMO page crashed twice in a row as soon as I put my cursor down into the username field, which was running as a popup on this thread page.

I shut Splashtop down, and tried again. This time, selecting the login icon brought up a separate login page (rather than the popup of this page) and it worked fine. Don’t know if it’s a conflict with Splashtop, or a RAM shortage (Mail, Safari and Splashtop running).

[ Edited: 20 March 2013 10:54 AM by Paul Goodwin ]

Signature

pbg

Posted: 20 March 2013 10:52 AM #14

The blue TMO bar thing is still there though when posting a comment

Signature

pbg

• Posted: 30 August 2013 02:27 PM #15

I think my safari browser has ghosts

Signature

Mackomac
    —Webmaster—