The iPad in Education

• Posted: 19 September 2011 01:03 PM

University study finds students with Apple’s iPad perform better than peers

By Josh Ong; Published: 01:13 AM

The university’s iPad-specific research results are “uniformly positive,” as noted by TUAW after a preview of the data. One study found that “students who annotated text on their iPads scored 25% higher on questions regarding information transfer than their paper-based peers.”

Researchers who tracked ACU’s first all-digital class noted that the iPad promotes “learning moments” and helps students to be more efficient with their time. Graduate students in an online program responded with a 95 percent satisfaction rate to online iPad-based coursework.

The Chicago public school system has seen gains as much as 50 to 60 percent in reading math and science in classrooms with the iPad.

Posted: 19 September 2011 07:34 PM #1

Let me try to play devil’s advocate, at least in part. I’d first argue that a stylus would make highlighting text easier. Incorporate handwriting recognition and it would make note taking easier also.

There are various 3rd party styluses for the iPad, but it’s too easy to have my wrist register as a touch when I use one. Apple either needs to figure out some software-based solution to that problem, or install a screen that can recognize the stylus only.

If Microsoft can get a stylus to work on a competitively priced ARM-based tablet, that could be a positive differentiating factor. Price & “just works” are two very big IFs.

[black hat off]
    I personally think the existing highlighting and notation method in iBooks is excellent. Unless the handwriting recognition was stellar, I think I can type on glass faster than using a stylus. Better yet, of course, would be to incorporate voice recognition for note taking.

Remember that these are results based on early trial studies. The content now being created specifically for educational purposes goes way beyond text based material that can only be highlighted and annotated. I imagine the studies using the latest iPad-specific course materials will show more spectacular results.

• Posted: 20 September 2011 02:21 PM #2

Catholic school uses iPad as learning device

?It has been working really well,? Kiladjian said of integrating the iPads into course work. ?Even fairly mundane things like homework they are excited to do.?

After some initial trepidation, the school?s parents have embraced the program, participating in strong numbers in iPad training sessions tailored specially for them…

Students said they discover new education apps on a daily basis, and estimated they are working on their iPads about 60% of the day.

The technology has meant a drastic reduction in paper use ? students rarely turn in assignments in hard copy, using email instead.

?The iPad teaches you responsibility,? Gary Cruley, 13, said.

Posted: 10 October 2011 01:24 AM #3

Check out Gridloch.  It’s a great numeracy app for education.  It can be used on iPhone and iPad.  Best to browse through the Gridloch website first for lots of valuable info.

http://www.gridloch.com

[ Edited: 11 October 2011 02:04 AM by Gridlochfan ]

Signature

When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die.
    Get in the cave!

Posted: 14 October 2011 09:13 PM #4

I have written some scholarly articles and produced some videos to assist educators with using apps and iPad2 in the classroom.

It’s probably best to view this link and have a look:

http://gridloch.iapps.net.au/articles

I’d be happy to participate in further discussion on the topic of education and technology!

Signature

Get in the cave!

Posted: 19 October 2011 12:02 AM #5

You’re welcome.  Hope you enjoyed the read and playing the game.  Are you in education?

Signature

Get in the cave!

• Posted: 25 April 2013 12:34 AM #6

Technology has good and bad effects in our everyday lives but in terms of education, I guess, you’ll get the highest advantage of it just what Astroloquiz shown me with my kids. I thought that it was a simple educational app but as I guiding them while using it, I found out that this app is great if you want to know more of your kids. I highly recommend this to some mommies out there.