New CEO - new conference call?

• Posted: 20 September 2011 10:13 AM

Tim Cook may make some changes now he’s CEO, taking us by surprise on the conference call.

Buyback? Stock split? Dividend? New basis for guidance calculation (median expectation instead of current 95% probability).

Ideas? Expectations?

Posted: 20 September 2011 10:50 AM #1

adamthompson3232 - 20 September 2011 01:17 PM

I doubt it. I think TC sees that what SJ did was working beautifully so I don’t think he’ll change much, if anything. Then again, maybe TC is a heavier hitter than I thought and he’s ready to shake up a few things with the confidence that he, too, knows a successful path forward for Apple and AAPL even if it’s slightly different than the one blazed by SJ.

I find it revealing that the charity-donation thing was announced a week into TC’s tenure.  Was that something that TC wanted to do for a while, but SJ wouldn’t allow?  Or was it something SJ wanted, but allowed TC to take credit for?  I honestly don’t know, but maybe the idea is to convey that new management is in place.  As far as I’m concerned “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!”, but TC might have other ideas in mind.  I wouldn’t mind a 10-1 split, or 80% EPS projections going forward.

I would bet though, anything that TC is even remotely thinking about doing, there is a lot of consultation going on with SJ.  It’s the same exact thing we’ve had for the last few years, only now TC is officially CEO.

• Posted: 20 September 2011 11:05 AM #2

In addition to being an indicator of confidence and stability, from one point of view, the charity donation matching can be viewed as a staff retention move. If you want people to be contented lifetime employees, you need to offer better work - life integration than elsewhere.

Of course it’s absolutely standard for new management to make an immediate small change.

[ Edited: 20 September 2011 11:09 AM by sleepygeek ]      
  • Posted: 21 September 2011 02:59 PM #3

sleepygeek - 20 September 2011 01:13 PM

Tim Cook may make some changes now he’s CEO, taking us by surprise on the conference call.

Buyback? Stock split? Dividend? New basis for guidance calculation (median expectation instead of current 95% probability).

Ideas? Expectations?

The first three of these are board decisions.  The Chairman of the Board has not changed.

And just my opinion, but I do not buy the idea that Apple management has changed.  Our best player is on the DL, but he has been there for quite some time, and the rest of the team continues to do their jobs as before.

Conjecture:  Steve and Tim communicate daily.