Supply chain cuts for the Ipad. Here we go again…

Posted: 26 September 2011 06:38 PM #16

HOLY CRAP:  Henry Blodget wrote that article!*

*Filter, AT!  Filter!

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 26 September 2011 06:47 PM #17

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-26/apple-report-by-jpmorgan-asia-staff-not-view-of-u-s-team-moskowitz-says.html?cmpid=yhoo

“Those guys?  They’re in our Asia bureau.  We don’t share that view.”

OK… smile

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 26 September 2011 06:47 PM #18

Unique - 26 September 2011 09:46 PM

And this is why we’re going to $1000

Demand>Supply

Grey market for apple products are huge already

Where’s my Jan 15 950/990s?!  raspberry

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 26 September 2011 06:53 PM #19

I think there should be a general rule here that no one posts a link to that Blodgett link whore.

Posted: 26 September 2011 06:53 PM #20

Violators can’t enjoy Gray Goose for a week.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 27 September 2011 01:50 AM #21

adamthompson3232 - 26 September 2011 03:45 PM

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/09/26/did-j-p-morgans-foxconn-analyst-forget-about-brazil/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

My vote for overlooked news item of the day.

Sept. 27 (Bloomberg)—JPMorgan Chase & Co. analyst Mark Moskowitz said research from his colleagues in Asia about a cut in Apple Inc. iPad orders doesn?t represent the views of the securities firm?s U.S. team.

?Apple is fine,? Moskowitz wrote.

US JPM analysts felt the need to distance themselves from Asian JPM analysts.

Also interesting,

The later note may have been prompted by complaints from Apple or large shareholders, said Bruce Foerster, president of South Beach Capital Markets in Miami.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 27 September 2011 01:53 AM #22

Apple?  More like the shareholders.

If Apple was complaining, Digitimes would’ve been wiped off the Web years ago.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 27 September 2011 01:54 AM #23

For all we know, even IF the report was true, it could just be Apple cutting orders for calendar Q1 2012 in advance.  Well duh.  There’s one hell of a tablet comin’ down the pike in about 6 months…

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 27 September 2011 04:38 AM #24

Forbes states that JPM withdrew the report.

“Contributing to the weakness in tech was what turned out to be an erroneous report from a JPMorgan analyst that said Apple (AAPL) had cut estimates for iPad production in China due to slowing demand, while in reality the consumer behemoth simply planned to shift much of that production to a new plant in Brazil. AAPL was down over 3% this while the news was out there, but bounced once the situation was clarified and JPM withdrew the report.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2011/09/27/euro-euphoria-sends-stocks-into-bounce-encore/?partner=yahootix

Signature

Read more at: Asymco Blog

• Posted: 27 September 2011 08:33 AM #25

ChasMac77 - 26 September 2011 11:53 AM

Same article, different year.

We all know how that worked out.

Chasmac77. Congrats. You pretty much nailed it.  I can imagine the conversation in his office the AM.  Starts with, “what the hell were you thinking…”. And maybe ends with, “you can get a cardboard box for you things from the supply closet”

• Posted: 27 September 2011 08:38 AM #26

fas550 - 27 September 2011 11:33 AM

Chasmac77. Congrats. You pretty much nailed it.  I can imagine the conversation in his office the AM.  Starts with, “what the hell were you thinking…”. And maybe ends with, “you can get a cardboard box for you things from the supply closet”

You’d hope it’s that.

Or maybe he’s getting a bonus for a nice buying opportunity.

• Posted: 27 September 2011 08:52 AM #27

Mav - 27 September 2011 04:54 AM

For all we know, even IF the report was true, it could just be Apple cutting orders for calendar Q1 2012 in advance.  Well duh.  There’s one hell of a tablet comin’ down the pike in about 6 months…

If I were the Apple buyer, given the torid demand for iPad, I would give suppliers the maximum possible purchase numbers, then back off if not needed.  If nothing else, it is a way to determine for sure they can deliver.  Can you imagine the supply chain gyrations that must go on with Apple components?  Especially after the Japan tsnumami and the Samsung crap going on.

It really makes me wonder just how “connected” these analysts are.  I mean if they really knew the supply chain and had good intelligence, they would be able to predict the quarterly earnings better.

• Posted: 27 September 2011 08:56 AM #28

kevinhernandez - 27 September 2011 11:38 AM
    fas550 - 27 September 2011 11:33 AM

You’d hope it’s that.

Or maybe he’s getting a bonus for a nice buying opportunity.

Good point.  Alternate scenario is high fives all around at the water cooler :-(

• Posted: 27 September 2011 09:03 AM #29

qualitywte - 27 September 2011 11:52 AM

If I were the Apple buyer, given the torid demand for iPad, I would give suppliers the maximum possible purchase numbers, then back off if not needed.  If nothing else, it is a way to determine for sure they can deliver.  Can you imagine the supply chain gyrations that must go on with Apple components?  Especially after the Japan tsnumami and the Samsung crap going on.

It really makes me wonder just how “connected” these analysts are.  I mean if they really knew the supply chain and had good intelligence, they would be able to predict the quarterly earnings better.

IMHO most analysts just have either too much to do to get into any serious level of research on one of the companies they cover.  Alternately given how easy it is to make money in a up market, they are just plain lazy to do the necessary due diligence in a down market.  I know two analysts and the stories they tell me about their collegues convinced me I’d be irresponsible to leave my financial future in the hands of such people which is why I do it myself.  From this perspective I often cringe or laugh at fund managers advice and how they try to manage investors expectations.

Posted: 27 September 2011 10:10 AM #30

fas550 - 27 September 2011 12:03 PM
    qualitywte - 27 September 2011 11:52 AM

IMHO most analysts just have either too much to do to get into any serious level of research on one of the companies they cover.  Alternately given how easy it is to make money in a up market, they are just plain lazy to do the necessary due diligence in a down market.  I know two analysts and the stories they tell me about their collegues convinced me I’d be irresponsible to leave my financial future in the hands of such people which is why I do it myself.  From this perspective I often cringe or laugh at fund managers advice and how they try to manage investors expectations.

+1

I think a re-read of Liar’s Poker is in order.