Long-term Investors

Posted: 27 September 2011 07:40 PM

Are you exclusively a buy-and-hold investor?  Tired of those cheeky traders flip-flopping from bullish to bearish every two seconds?

Well, enter the NO TRADING ZONE.  That’s right: NO TRADING TALK.

This is the Bulls’ Clubhouse for the Greatest Buy-and-Hold Stock on the Planet.  Note the sign on the door reads:

No Bears Allowed!  Keep Out!  This means YOU!

[ Edited: 08 October 2011 04:10 PM by lovemyipad ]      
  • Posted: 27 September 2011 07:51 PM #1

Unique - 27 September 2011 10:45 PM

Sticking with my long term projection, this is based on fundamentals. $1000 by 2015

IIRC, Sponge and I have agreed on this target awhile back in 2010.

So your buying and holding?

Just kidding.

Yea right now I’m buy and hold.

• Posted: 27 September 2011 07:59 PM #2

I bought in 2000. Still holding.

Posted: 27 September 2011 08:01 PM #3

kevinhernandez - 27 September 2011 10:51 PM

Yea right now I’m buy and hold.

Kev, do you buy regularly?  Fixed dollar amount?  That’s what I did when I was exclusively buy-and-hold.  Figured I would buy some high, some low…  No reason to sweat short-term fluctations if you aren’t selling for 20+ years anyway… smile

Posted: 27 September 2011 08:15 PM #4

Wow.

This is hilarious.

The biggest day trader and one of the biggest “buy and hold” advocates have EXACTLY the same (initial) price target and time horizon.

But I think Bears should be allowed here.  (I suppose there COULD be some suicidal long-term short sellers out there…..)

X

Signature

One trillion or bust

Posted: 27 September 2011 08:19 PM #5

I trade.  I also invest.

AAPL is the closest thing to a sure thing in this highly unpredictable market.  If you dared to buy and hold one stock, this is the one.

AAPL 1000?  I’ll revisit at AAPL 500.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 27 September 2011 08:22 PM #6

For buy and hold AAPL is one of the better stocks out there for the next 3-4 years. Fundamentals and momentum are there.
    Even more so if one day Apple decides to issue dividends.

I only go out about 4 years because I dont have the predictive powers to see what Apple may be selling after this time period.

Posted: 27 September 2011 08:30 PM #7

Xtra - 27 September 2011 11:15 PM

Wow.

This is hilarious.

The biggest day trader and one of the biggest “buy and hold” advocates have EXACTLY the same (initial) price target and time horizon.

IMHO, anyone who disputes AAPL’s long-term potential is a moron.

Posted: 27 September 2011 08:54 PM #8

Unique - 27 September 2011 11:36 PM
    lovemyipad - 27 September 2011 11:30 PM

Wow.

This is hilarious.

Cough, Ballmer.

Ok, I actually did LOL on that one.

Long term investor. I read the Intraday threads because it’s interesting. I have to keep reminding myself that I’m not a trader. The few times I’ve tried, I’d ended up losing money. I’m happy making a long term play and sitting back.

Posted: 27 September 2011 09:00 PM #9

The number one concern for a buy n hold investor is how to identify a multi-year decline like MSFT and DELL after 2000, their share prices have been declining for more than 10 years.

As an AAPL-only portfolio buy n hold investor since 1997, a fool (according to unique) who don’t buy protective put*, has endured a few 50%-90% over one to three years of decline.  Such declines are scary but no lasting damage as AAPL had so far recovered and made new ATHs.  At my age, I don’t want to experience another three years, definitely not 10 years, of decline.

What is your exit price e.g. $1,000 for Xtra or red flags that necessitate liquidating the entire holding?

*Hedge by selling some annually to fund purchase of houses, cars, furniture and lifestyle.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 27 September 2011 09:17 PM #10

CdnPhoto - 27 September 2011 11:54 PM

Wow.

This is hilarious.

Cough, Ballmer.

Ok, I actually did LOL on that one.

Long term investor. I read the Intraday threads because it’s interesting. I have to keep reminding myself that I’m not a trader. The few times I’ve tried, I’d ended up losing money. I’m happy making a long term play and sitting back.

so did I .... still try to add more when it’s possible (cash availablility )

Posted: 27 September 2011 10:02 PM #11

Mace - 28 September 2011 12:00 AM

...Hedge by selling some annually to fund purchase of houses, cars, furniture and lifestyle.

Can’t agree enough Mace. I’ve been Long and buying since 1995 with selling enough each year to enjoy life. Forced by disability, I retired early (at 54). Yet through careful planning with AAPL as 86% of my portfolio, I’ve bought two cars, a new roof and 35 replacement windows and new furnace/central air conditioning for our home plus, bought/sold a total of two progressively larger Airstream trailers and two RV’s with the current one a 42’ Class-A to use during the four months we spend in Arizona each winter. And, no I’m not BSing you. All this because my wife and I believed in AAPL in the mid-90’s and continue to believe today.

Hang in there everyone, you too can do it - take it from this old Bear. AAPL has become our lifestyle saver.

Thanks Apple - and thanks Steve - along with all the visionaries and talented folks that make up the Apple family.

Signature

Regards… SirDennis

Retirement is wonderful - Everyone should try it!

Posted: 27 September 2011 11:26 PM #12

1,000 Is a nice round number, as is one trillion.  Both are aspirational but eminently acievable.

I arrived at it by assigning a fair 20 times eps multiple to earns of 50 dlrs a share. We will see 50 a share by 2013 for sure.  In my head I think for absolutely sure the eps times the multiple will equal 1ooo by 2015.  I like the cushion.  I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

Liquidation events:  I have been scared out.  Most recently just as antenna gate was breaking.  Luckily I got back in, some below and some above my liquidation price.

So, yes, I watch it like a hawk.  I try to follow the adage not to love a stock cause it won’t love me. 

This one is hard not to love.

[ Edited: 27 September 2011 11:32 PM by Xtra ]

Signature

One trillion or bust

• Posted: 28 September 2011 12:54 AM #13

Do you mean this is a witchcraft (cough) technicals-free zone?  :wink:

• Posted: 28 September 2011 12:59 AM #14

Wow.

This is hilarious.

Cough, Ballmer.

I’ve seen Ballmer up close, but I can’t take credit for this classic photo:

Posted: 28 September 2011 01:19 AM #15

Mercel,

First: what, you couldn’t find a picture of a hot witch?!  Blah!  Or perhaps that’s in keeping with the “No TA Zone,” which indeed this is. wink

Second: that Ballmer pic makes me want to toss my chocolate Goldfish cookies!