iTunes song copy ??

• Posted: 01 October 2011 02:23 AM

Is there an easy way to copy one song from your iTunes library with the artwork to a flash drive ?

Thanks

Posted: 02 October 2011 01:05 AM #1

cudafish - 01 October 2011 05:23 AM

Is there an easy way to copy one song from your iTunes library with the artwork to a flash drive ?

Thanks

No, there is no really easy way to do this, but the process is pretty simple.  The artwork is kept in a separate location within iTunes outside of the song file.

Mount your flash drive/thumb drive.

In iTunes, create a temporary play list and drag the music you want to copy to your thumb drive to that play list.  This step is not necessary, per se, but it helps keep things organized. 

Next, select all of the songs in the playlist and drag them from iTunes to the thumb drive.  Remember that some songs may have DRM embedded depending on when you purchased them from iTunes.  Ripped sounds from CDs are DRM free.

Once the copy is done, back in iTunes, ‘Get Info” on the first song in your play list.  Click over to the artwork tab, drag the artwork to the thumb drive.  THEN, click the NEXT button near the bottom left and the next song’s artwork should appear, drag that to the thumb drive.  Rinse and repeat until finished.  If you have 500 songs, obviously this will be tedious, but I don’t have solid advice for that many songs.  Maybe peruse “Dougs Scripts” to see if there are any applescripts that can help.

• Posted: 02 October 2011 09:34 AM #2

Thanks for the reply. I guess there is no easy way especially for a large amount of songs. The only reason why I am looking to do this is because my car can store and play mp3 mp4 and display the album artwork on the gps screen.

Thanks again

Posted: 02 October 2011 12:03 PM #3

cudafish - 02 October 2011 12:34 PM

Thanks for the reply. I guess there is no easy way especially for a large amount of songs. The only reason why I am looking to do this is because my car can store and play mp3 mp4 and display the album artwork on the gps screen.

Thanks again

I did a little digging on Doug’s Scripts, check this out:  There are others too

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=savealbumart

• Posted: 02 October 2011 12:04 PM #4

I use Cover Scout from equinux. It offers a “transfer album art to music file” option. In Lion, I don’t consistently see the art in the file in Finder in List or Column views, I rarely use Icon or Cover Flow views. Most of the time it does show up in a Get Info in the Finder. I’m not sure what’s going on with this in Lion, but assume it will be either fixed, or completely removed in the next Cover Scout version combined with the next OS update. ::grin:: It may just be a Finder quick look cacheing thing, as a preview that didn’t work immediately will eventually show up as the album cover.

Hope this is helpful.

Joel.

PS I couldn’t believe I had not previously registered for this Forum, what a surprise!

• Posted: 02 October 2011 12:33 PM #5

Thanks a lot guys I’ll check these out.

Posted: 03 October 2011 11:57 AM #6

Is there an easy way to replace the artwork for individual tracks in an album?

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster