Why Buy iPhone 4S?

• Posted: 04 October 2011 09:08 PM

I think the iPhone 4 remains the best smartphone on the market today.  The iPhone 4S just widened the gap between the iPhone and the rest of the market.  So why buy an iPhone 4S?  For me the answer lies in these features:

8 mega pixel camera (8X10 photo grade printing).
    1080P HD photo viewing on digital TVs.
    Low Light Sensor for picture taking in low light conditions.
    Image stabilization for greatly reduced blurring in photos
    Much faster A5 CPU for quicker search results, games, overall experience.
    Much faster GPU for faster image rendering.
    iCloud instant synchronization between iOS devices and Macs.
    SIRI

Let me repeat that.

SIRI

Form factor is not an issue.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 04 October 2011 09:10 PM #1

I still have the iPhone 3G. Three years is reason enough to buy a new cell-phone.

Signature

Tightwad.

• Posted: 04 October 2011 09:37 PM #2

I’m buying several of the new phones because they are an “iPhone 5” in an “iPhone 4S” case.

Posted: 04 October 2011 09:54 PM #3

There’s multiple iPhone4’s here in the office. I’m actually one of the hold-outs, still on a Droid.  I was waiting for the iPhone5 with bigger screen, but, just like almost everybody else, was blown away by Siri.  After showing the Siri video to 5 colleagues… it was a landslide.  We’re all getting the new iPhone4s (and some of them had bought an iPhone4 not so long ago!).  The other stuff is nice (video stabilization, nice 8PM camera, etc), but the Siri stuff sealed the deal for all of us.

Replicate this across the entire US, once people see the Siri stuff in action, this is going to be massive.  Possibly 50M+ 1FQ12 massive. And maybe getting to 200M+ iPhones in calendar quarter 2012, which seems impossible to even think about right now.

• Posted: 04 October 2011 10:13 PM #4

I have a 3 GS.  The iWife has an original.

We’ll get them

• Posted: 04 October 2011 10:16 PM #5

My wife and I are on originals.  We’ll get a pair.

Signature

Johnny

Posted: 04 October 2011 10:27 PM #6

DawnTreader - 05 October 2011 12:37 AM

I’m buying several of the new phones because they are an “iPhone 5” in an “iPhone 4S” case.

All the iPhone 5 would represent is a new industrial design.

But can you easily improve on the old one?  Don’t knock the iPhone 4 until you’ve held one.  It is an incredibly solid device.  The steel band is a huge reason for that solidity.

The existing design will work well for the camera button set.  And for those who don’t mind protecting their investment with the basic essentials (I mean if you can get an iPhone, you can scrape up some spare change for a case and screen protector), the iPhone will hold up amazingly well over time.  Edges too “sharp” for you? I’m sure there’s a case for that with nice rounded edges somewhere.

Screen size is irrelevant.  Perhaps the “it’s not a bigger screen” types don’t realize how hostile a 4.5” or similar screen would be to, I dunno, half of the world’s population.  Thinness, please.  Apple could easily make the iPhone thinner by compromising the glass panels.  Not gonna happen.

There are two things, aside from form factor, that are missing in the 4S that were reasonably to be expected.  One, a higher-res FaceTime camera.  Two, a gesture-sensitive Home button.  Everything else - faster CPU (#1 selling point for me), much better graphics, improved call quality, more intelligent antenna management, improved theoretical data download speeds, somewhat better 3G talk time, better camera/video recording, Siri - is present and accounted for.  When you look at it this way, the complaints about not having a different shell just don’t hold that much water.

I’m pre-ordering this Friday.

[ Edited: 04 October 2011 10:40 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 October 2011 10:32 PM #7

i am getting one just to keep up with you all.

self peer pressure :-D

Posted: 04 October 2011 10:38 PM #8

Do you have a 3GS?

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 October 2011 10:54 PM #9

Mav - 05 October 2011 01:38 AM

Do you have a 3GS?

The iPhone 4 which I got on day one.  I have owned every phone from day one except the 3GS.

For me the camera is the biggest reason.  I took a family trip last summer and the iPHone 4 took all the pictures and video.  I wanted a better camera that was faster. 

Secondly I wanted a faster phone with better reception.  This new phone will do the job.

Siri is cool but I am not sure how much I will use.  In the car I can see its use more.

I do believe the iPhone 5 will come out in 10 months with a different look, faster chip, better camera and a true LTE.  That will be even bigger then this intro.

The iPhone 4S will be upgraded by those without iPhones or older iPHone 3GS.  These two groups along with a few of us iPhone 4 owners will come add up to about 100 million in the next 10 months.  Then we will have another 50 million iPHone 4 and 3GS upgrades.

Android is about to start to lose market share come March of next year.

Posted: 04 October 2011 11:05 PM #10

See you in line next week, Sponge.  Way to help our stock.  wink

I’d like for you to be right.  I bet the current expectation is for iPhone 5 to come out January 2013, though.  More FUD to fight.  Bear in mind, certain elements of the rumor mill are right enough (the “4S” group), and Apple doesn’t prove them “wrong enough” (no surprises this product intro), for people to stop listening and giving weight to the chatter.  It’ll take a left-field type surprise (e.g. rumor mill and maybe WSJ say iPhone 5 in October, Apple releases iPhone 5 in August) to reshape expectations.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 04 October 2011 11:17 PM #11

Gregg Thurman - 05 October 2011 12:08 AM

I think the iPhone 4 remains the best smartphone on the market today.  The iPhone 4S just widened the gap between the iPhone and the rest of the market.  So why buy an iPhone 4S?  For me the answer lies in these features:

SIRI

Let me repeat that.

SIRI

Biggest one for me is world phone.  I may be in the minority, but I travel a lot.  All the rest too.  I am very intrigued by Siri.

I also agree on that form factor point.  My company has reason to test the structural integrity of phones, and that iPhone design with the antenna exoskeleton is very solid.  Don’t mess with it until you can obviously do better.

Posted: 04 October 2011 11:18 PM #12

I’d go beyond very solid.  I’d say the most solid design ever shipped in a smartphone.

I mean heck, tons of smartphones have snap-on backing.  I rest my *cough* case.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 October 2011 11:38 PM #13

Lstream - 05 October 2011 02:17 AM
    Gregg Thurman - 05 October 2011 12:08 AM

SIRI

Let me repeat that.

SIRI

Biggest one for me is world phone.  I may be in the minority, but I travel a lot.  All the rest too.  I am very intrigued by Siri.

You’re going to want to check the online Apple Store come Oct 7 to see if the 4S will be offered unlocked, without a carrier, just as the iPhone 4 is today, albeit in small print at the bottom of the page.  Today the unlocked 4 is available for $549, but is not a true world phone like the 4S will be.

Posted: 04 October 2011 11:54 PM #14

We have our first virtual teardown for those updating their GM numbers.

Posted: 05 October 2011 12:03 AM #15

There’s no basis for claiming the A5 to only have 512MB of RAM when you consider that the A4 coupled in RAM capacity from the iPad 1 to iPhone 4. 

At least let Chipworks have a look at it first.  Sheesh.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.