Why Buy iPhone 4S?

Posted: 05 October 2011 12:07 AM #16

The more important question is - AT, you gonna be in line next Friday with some of us?  Or at least pre-ordering? wink

[ Edited: 05 October 2011 12:23 AM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 05 October 2011 12:07 AM #17

You?re going to want to check the online Apple Store come Oct 7 to see if the 4S will be offered unlocked, without a carrier, just as the iPhone 4 is today, albeit in small print at the bottom of the page.  Today the unlocked 4 is available for $549, but is not a true world phone like the 4S will be.

Point taken.  Apple Canada store only shows “starting at $649”.  Apple US store shows $199 with 2 year contract.  The Canada store must mean unlocked.  If not, we will be revolting and joining the US.

Posted: 05 October 2011 12:15 AM #18

adamthompson3232 - 05 October 2011 03:06 AM
    pats - 05 October 2011 02:54 AM

We have our first virtual teardown for those updating their GM numbers.

Pats,

Do you think this info is relatively accurate? If so, I think iPhone GM% scales 60% in FY12.

I’ll wait to see isuppli numbers and compare.  Were not sure on the LPDDR2 since it is either. 512MB or 1GB.  The NAND pricing is where I would think, and the display/touch panel should be coming down from last year.  I thought I heard in the presentation a rough percentage of iPhone 4 haven’t got back to check.  Did anyone hear a percentage.

As far as buying.  My son is getting one my contract requires a full price upgrade so I’ll wait.

Posted: 05 October 2011 01:11 AM #19

Mav - 05 October 2011 01:27 AM

I’m pre-ordering this Friday.

I’m going to start checking the Apple website at 11:30 pm Thursday night. I still haven’t decided whether I’ll have them ship it or wait in line on Day one.

I heard the guy from Engadget say he was impressed with Siri. Here’s a clip from Topolsky at thisismynext. Sounds like Siri is impressive even as a beta product.

...this might not sound like much, but in use I found it kind of staggering. I wasn?t speaking slowly (as Scott did during the event) or even trying very hard to sound clear. There was background noise. But it really worked, and worked well.

• Posted: 05 October 2011 01:34 AM #20

Drew Bear - 05 October 2011 04:11 AM

Here’s a clip from Topolsky at thisismynext. Sounds like Siri is impressive even as a beta product.

...this might not sound like much, but in use I found it kind of staggering. I wasn?t speaking slowly (as Scott did during the event) or even trying very hard to sound clear. There was background noise. But it really worked, and worked well.

It occurred to me, after reading his review, that SIRI has the potential to displace a huge amount of SMS texting.  There’s no reason for SMS to cost $10 a month, none at all.  If you can voice text for free (except data usage) why would anyone pay extra to text the old school way?

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 05 October 2011 09:14 AM #21

The 4S is exactly the phone I want to replace my aging 3GS! :-D

This time I will get it unlocked, so I can finally get rid of my German T-Mobile contract. The 4S starts at 629?, including tax. I can get a relatively cheap contract for 1GB data at 9,90?, calls will be at 0,09? per minute, or I could add a flat rate.

So I am now eagerly waiting for my birthday gift! LOL

• Posted: 05 October 2011 09:32 AM #22

Will be an upgrader from my old 3G.

Am very excited about the new camera.  I think this might be truly the first phone that can displace the need for a portable digital camera.  The 4’s camera was good, but this new camera just looks phenomenal.

Siri also looks awesome, although like others, am not sure how much I will use it.  Probably will use it to set me alarm each night just because I can, but other than that, not too sure.  It will also have to work straight out of the box, first time.  If it screws up even once at the beginning I will probably become frustrated and never use it again.  I just hate technology that doesn’t work.  Ie if it makes my life even somewhat more irksome then I’m destined to stop using it.  Am fairly sure most people are like this as well, and hence why Apple’s products sell so well.  They almost always just work.

Posted: 05 October 2011 10:02 AM #23

adamthompson3232 - 05 October 2011 03:38 AM

Pats,

What do you think the current BOM is for the 3GS? I’m thinking the gross margin on that thing today at an ASP of $400 is 75%+.

Edited to add that I think F2Q11 is going to be bigger than F1Q11 for iPhone as Apple opens the production and distribution floodgates for this phone.

My estimate is $105 BOM for the 3GS but I wonder what the subsidized rate will be.  If it’s $400 we are looking at 74% but I would think 3GS might get lower subsidy.  I will be looking at the Paygo price in some other markets to get a better feel.

Posted: 05 October 2011 02:17 PM #24

I’m going to start checking the Apple website at 11:30 pm Thursday night. I still haven’t decided whether I’ll have them ship it or wait in line on Day one.

I just chatted with an Apple Online Store rep and she confirmed that in-store pick-up of pre-ordered iPhones will not be possible this time. I’m going to pre-order and wait for the delivery person. Last time I had an Apple product delivered it came via FedEx. Anyone know what they use lately?

Posted: 05 October 2011 02:21 PM #25

Drew Bear - 05 October 2011 05:17 PM

I just chatted with an Apple Online Store rep and she confirmed that in-store pick-up of pre-ordered iPhones will not be possible this time. I’m going to pre-order and wait for the delivery person. Last time I had an Apple product delivered it came via FedEx. Anyone know what they use lately?

I find that hard to believe.  Why would Apple not want people to go to their stores to pick theirs up?

Posted: 05 October 2011 02:37 PM #26

Humongous crush of people?

I agree though, the Apple Store should (and still can) set up something like an iPhone express line.  Existing iPhone users can run on in, get their iPhone, and activate it at home.  Empties the store more quickly and promotes max sellthrough.

OTOH, you know Apple and its addiction to buzz.

I’ll go call Apple too and see about that.  If nothing else, I guess I can just pre-order.  Not having the 4S on day one won’t break my heart.

Aw man.  Just called 1-800-MY-APPLE.  Like in Drew’s case, the Apple phone rep said online orders are mail-only.  And to the billed account’s mailing address.  Not so great if you’re on a family plan and you don’t live in the same state, though you CAN call after the fact and change the shipping address…which is needless headache for the Apple reps.

[ Edited: 05 October 2011 02:47 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 05 October 2011 02:45 PM #27

omacvi - 05 October 2011 05:21 PM
    Drew Bear - 05 October 2011 05:17 PM

I find that hard to believe.  Why would Apple not want people to go to their stores to pick theirs up?

I was confirming what was posted on another forum. It’s always possible Apple could change that policy by Friday. I had to rephrase the question more precisely to avoid the canned response, so I’m pretty sure she checked before giving me the final answer.

As to why, maybe Apple doesn’t want to deal with complaints from people who don’t know why there’s a shorter line?

Posted: 05 October 2011 02:49 PM #28

There’s no accounting for…ahem…less-informed people.

Admittedly you will inevitably run into problems “discriminating” between the Pro and Novice customers in a giant iPhone waiting line.

There’s still AT&T stores…Verizon stores…Sprint stores…and probably a number of other third-party outlets (BBY, Wal-Mart, Radio Shack…)

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.