How long before SIRI comes to iPad?

• Posted: 04 October 2011 10:18 PM

The title says it all.  The iPad 2 has an A5 chip, but perhaps lacks RAM for SIRI?  If so, I could easily see Apple releasing an iPad 2s with RAM for SIRI for the holidays…in fact, that’s what I would probably do.  Release that product November 1 for the holidays, then come with iPad 3 in June or something…

Signature

Johnny

Posted: 04 October 2011 10:31 PM #1

It may be an iPhone 4S exclusive.  I dunno.

One prediction that’s pretty safe:  If iPad 2 lacks the RAM for Siri right now, I can’t see iPad 2 magically gaining that RAM in time for the holidays.  It’s a pretty safe bet that the iPad 2 design is frozen, with the possible exception of a higher capacity edition (highly unlikely), until iPad 3 next year.

[ Edited: 04 October 2011 10:38 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 October 2011 10:34 PM #2

I don’t think the iPad has a mic.

never mind.  it does for video.

Posted: 04 October 2011 10:37 PM #3

[yep, has a mic]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 October 2011 11:34 PM #4

Mav - 05 October 2011 01:31 AM

It may be an iPhone 4S exclusive.  I dunno.

One prediction that’s pretty safe:  If iPad 2 lacks the RAM for Siri right now, I can’t see iPad 2 magically gaining that RAM in time for the holidays.  It’s a pretty safe bet that the iPad 2 design is frozen, with the possible exception of a higher capacity edition (highly unlikely), until iPad 3 next year.

Not likely but they build the memory as a stack on top of the A5 so it would not require a board change.  If I was messing around though I would add the Qualcomm chipset to the 3G version so you buy a monthly plan from ATT or Verizon depending where you are traveling.

Posted: 04 October 2011 11:36 PM #5

Well, next year will bring us the “World iPad,” + 3G or LTE remains to be seen.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 05 October 2011 01:58 AM #6

I’ve used SIRI on my iPad. In fact, I just used it to find all the pizza places in my neighborhood.

Posted: 05 October 2011 02:15 AM #7

DawnTreader - 05 October 2011 04:58 AM

I’ve used SIRI on my iPad. In fact, I just used it to find all the pizza places in my neighborhood.

An app?  I see Vlingo, which I’ve used for my iPhone… But don’t know what you are referring to. Please elaborate.

Signature

Study the natural order of things and work with it rather than against it…  ? Tao Te Ching

Posted: 05 October 2011 02:25 AM #8

Siri is an app no longer available on the App Store AFAIK.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 05 October 2011 02:28 AM #9

Mav - 05 October 2011 05:25 AM

Than it’s a good thing I downloaded it when it was available. Cool app, many uses.

• Posted: 05 October 2011 02:50 AM #10

DawnTreader - 05 October 2011 05:28 AM
    Mav - 05 October 2011 05:25 AM

Than it’s a good thing I downloaded it when it was available. Cool app, many uses.

From Paul Miller at This Is My Next.

Interestingly, the original version of Siri (which has been pulled from the App Store, and will expire for existing users on October 16th) has a field for text input, so? take that for what you will.

Nice write up on Siri though.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 05 October 2011 03:03 AM #11

SIRI is a differentiator. There’s far more to today’s announcement than a new model of iPhone.

Posted: 05 October 2011 04:17 AM #12

No kidding.  Siri kinda gives me that giddy feeling like I had when I saw the GarageBand demo on iLife years ago, or when I saw the FaceTime demo video.  Except Siri is far more powerful, with room to grow.  For example, wait until Apple gets its own maps together.  Turn-by-turn directions?  Siri’s got that covered, for free.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 05 October 2011 08:34 AM #13

Maybe the problem with the iPad is that you don’t speak directly into the mic like you do with a handset, and as a result Siri has problems dealing with a higher level of ambient noise.  And putting on a headset would just defeat the Siri convenience factor.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

• Posted: 05 October 2011 10:18 AM #14

Siri on iPad would be HUGE in enterprise.

• Posted: 05 October 2011 11:01 PM #15

I think Siri on the iPad would be huge, and it’s just a matter of time until it comes. If it’s not available as a software update it’ll probably be included in the iPad 3, or 2S, or whatever it’s called.

I say it would be a big deal on the iPad because tablets have plenty of power, and more screen real estate, making it a partial laptop replacement. But the biggest shortcoming is that it’s still lower to type with the on-screen keyboard for writing long documents and emails. If I can dictate into an iPad, that would become a non-issue and make it convenient to use as a laptop replacement for even more tasks.