How long before SIRI comes to iPad?

• Posted: 05 October 2011 11:33 PM #16

Each new generation of Apple device, whether it be iPad of Mac, and possibly the iPod Touch, will incorporate Siri.

• Posted: 06 October 2011 12:08 AM #17

It will have to wait until iPad 3 since it does seem to require 1G of RAM.

• Posted: 06 October 2011 08:14 PM #18

It will be a real disappointment if Siri is NOT supported on the current ipad2. If you look at supposed list on Tauw about all the ‘phrases’ Siri understand 90+ % of them are not phone related… NOT having Siri on the current iPad would be a huge mistake…. But, it seems as if Apple has been making more of these lately….

It’s the same hardware… You’re Apple.. Figure it out !

• Posted: 06 October 2011 08:43 PM #19

Winski - 06 October 2011 11:14 PM

It will be a real disappointment if Siri is NOT supported on the current ipad2. If you look at supposed list on Tauw about all the ‘phrases’ Siri understand 90+ % of them are not phone related… NOT having Siri on the current iPad would be a huge mistake…. But, it seems as if Apple has been making more of these lately….

It’s not the same hardware. Siri requires 1 Gig of Ram and the iPad only has half that.

And I think that you’re completely wrong when you say that 90% of the Siri commands are not phone related. In fact, I went through the list of Siri commands, here, and couldn’t find a single one that couldn’t be used by the phone, though I certainly may be overlooking a few. I did find a couple that couldn’t be used by the iPad, but that’s irrelevant.

I too would like to have Siri on the iPad and then on the Mac and then on the iPod Touch. Siri is a breakthrough product that is still in Beta. It will all come to the iPad in the Spring and to the rest of Apple’s products in time.

Posted: 06 October 2011 09:57 PM #20

Welcome aboard, Winski.

Apple has hundreds of millions of customers. Anything Apple does is bound to disappoint some of those people. But I think it’s fair to say that ~90% of them are very satisfied with Apple products and services. I’m sure you can find the various surveys online.

Since everyone who has bought an iPad 2 up to this point never even expected Siri, I doubt many would be disappointed. FalKirk has already pointed out that there are hardware differences between the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4S. If Apple can somehow make Siri work well on the iPad 2, I think they will.

Many of us here are heavily invested in Apple stock. We’re very interested in being able to identify potential weaknesses in their business. So it’d be great if you could point out some of these “huge mistakes” that they’ve supposedly been making recently. It’s possible we missed something.

Posted: 06 October 2011 10:20 PM #21

FalKirk - 06 October 2011 11:43 PM

It’s not the same hardware. Siri requires 1 Gig of Ram and the iPad only has half that.

And I think that you’re completely wrong when you say that 90% of the Siri commands are not phone related. In fact, I went through the list of Siri commands, here, and couldn’t find a single one that couldn’t be used by the phone, though I certainly may be overlooking a few. I did find a couple that couldn’t be used by the iPad, but that’s irrelevant.

I too would like to have Siri on the iPad and then on the Mac and then on the iPod Touch. Siri is a breakthrough product that is still in Beta. It will all come to the iPad in the Spring and to the rest of Apple’s products in time.

Technically FalKirk, we don’t know how much RAM is on the iPhone 4S, though 1GB is “likely.”

Most importantly, I don’t think iPad 2’s sales momentum will somehow slow down just because Siri may not be available until iPad 3.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 06 October 2011 10:50 PM #22

Mav - 07 October 2011 01:20 AM

Technically FalKirk, we don’t know how much RAM is on the iPhone 4S, though 1GB is “likely.”

Sorry. I’ll bet I heard or read pundits, reporters and commentators say that the iPhone 4S had 1 gig of ram about 30 times in the past two day. They were probably all just assuming it was so and I thought that they were asserting it as a fact. My bad.

Posted: 06 October 2011 10:57 PM #23

Apple never gives any “speeds and feeds” for iPhone at all, it’s even less than with iPad where at least you know the GHz of the processor.

Give Chipworks and other teardown/microscopic analysis experts a little bit of time after launch to figure it out (as best they can, anyway).

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 07 October 2011 04:06 AM #24

FalKirk… I do NOT want to start this relationship on a sour note.. That will never be my intent on being here so please don’t take what I say the wrong way… BUT, as folks that try to find the best possible technology solutions anywhere in the world, we have a set of expectations built up from the incomparable track record that Steve and his team have put on our plates… Sometimes, even they miss that mark by letting those expectations get out of control OR we as consumers let our expectations drive impossible thinking that leads us astray… I may be one of them, but I don’t think so…

Having spent many decades in this racket (TECH) and having been around more folks than I care to count that believe they can sell light bulbs to space ships (and can sell neither) Apple has, over the last 15 years, singularly been successful in one thing above all else - being unique. As much as ‘the media’ and pundits give Steve most the credit for that, it is really his team as well.. they all are deserving..

Having said that, my original point was that over the last three years, Apple have let TWO systems get their expectations way ahead of the realities… iPad 2 and iPhone 5 (or 4S as it’s known)... iPad 2 because they couldn’t find ANY other company (ON EARTH) to do what they believed was required and got stuck with compromises at the last moment… displays, cameras, and capabilities to miniaturize to the extent required to achieve weight and thickness goals..

iPhone ‘x’ - case design, displays, software and NETWORK capabilities pushed Apple into compromises again (like on iPad 2) that ended up getting the resulting product pushed out beyond what the market was rabid for - good or bad - by months in timing and ‘sameness’ in the product results you saw Tuesday. It will still break every sales record in the history of mankind but expectations are so high right now, that may not be enough.

AND, that brings me to Drew Bear’s issue - investment exposure… I too have sunk a boat-load of cash into Apple so I get it.. But the rigors of being a public company; being the most valuable company ON EARTH, and having public expectations at a white-hot level, a single mis-step could cause some hiccups… I take no delight in the prospect of Apple going down $100 a share between now and Christmas but you never know…

And Mav, other than a few tweeks (I say that with a little sarcasm) here and there, there is absolutely no reason that SIRI can’t run on iPad2… Just in a two page thread, DawnTreader mentioned having already used the original SIRI app on the iPad2 and I use Dragon Go a LOT. So, the app(s) WILL run on the iPad…there is something else going on here.. I’m not sure what it is and DO care a LOT but let’s get past that.

That’s a long way to get to the point of my original post…. Adequate isn’t good enough was the original point and I stand by that… Being adequate was something that Steve did NOT believe was rational..It’s like the old 93% rule… where 93% is just ‘good enough’ ... NONE of us believe that will cut it for Apple… not now - not in the future.

Thanks for the welcome Drew Bear… Hopefully I can dive in here from time to time and seek some help!

• Posted: 07 October 2011 09:24 AM #25

@Winski, welcome to the AFB.

I still don’t take your point. It seems perfectly clear to me that Siri requires hardware that the iPad 2 doesn’t have. It’s probably as simple as that. Otherwise, I can’t see any reason why Apple wouldn’t update the iPad as well. After all, the iPad is getting iOS 5 and iCloud, right? Am I missing something?

As soon as the iPad 3 becomes available, Siri for the iPad will become available too.

• Posted: 07 October 2011 10:02 PM #26

@FalKirk…..

Just a quick follow-up on your 1mb RAM in the 4S bar that you seemed to be stuck on for SIRI. Here’s another opinion…. http://www.tipb.com/2011/10/06/iphone-4s-512mb-ram-iphone-4/

Hummm…...

• Posted: 07 October 2011 10:26 PM #27

Winski - 08 October 2011 01:02 AM

@FalKirk…..

Just a quick follow-up on your 1mb RAM in the 4S bar that you seemed to be stuck on for SIRI. Here’s another opinion…. http://www.tipb.com/2011/10/06/iphone-4s-512mb-ram-iphone-4/

Hummm…...

If it turns out that the internal specs are the same as those in the iPad, then obviously hardware is not the issue. But we should wait until the phone is broken down to be sure.

Assuming that Apple COULD add Siri to the iPad 2, I don’t see why they wouldn’t. It’s been cynically suggested that Apple is withholding Siri from the iPad in order to increase iPhone 4S sales. That’s nuts.

How does putting Siri on the iPad slow down iPhone sales? If anything, it would enhance sales. Once those with iPads learn about the advantages of Siri, they’re going to want it everywhere, including on their phone.

The iPad and the iPhone serve two different purposes. If they didn’t, we’d all just own one or the other. I want Siri on my iPhone because I can use it when I travel or when I’m on the move or when the iPad is not available or inappropriate to use.

• Posted: 07 October 2011 11:00 PM #28

@FalKirk…..

Salute !! Let’s wait until the iFixit folks get their trusty tools and blinking diagnostic gadgets humming .... That will tell the tale of the reads, feeds and speeds… THEN comes the Jailbreak community. They are racing headlong into IOS 5 for solution even before 4S ships!!! Wonder what will happen next !!.??

• Posted: 08 October 2011 12:37 PM #29

macglenn - 05 October 2011 11:34 AM

And putting on a headset would just defeat the Siri convenience factor.

Bluetooth headsets are OK for walking around. It’s mostly how you look that’s inconvenient.

Posted: 08 October 2011 12:55 PM #30

There could be other issues beyond memory or processor power.  As an example the iPhone contains dual microphone which when combined with the Audience audio chip, reduces background noise and focuses on the speaker.  Background noise plays havoc with voice recognition systems so you need technology like Computational Auditory Scene Analysis (“CASA”) to improve speech recognition in a noisy environment.

The processes that allow the human auditory system to perceive and organize sound, are known as ?Auditory Scene Analysis? or ASA, which is a term first coined by psychologist Albert Bregman to define the principles the human auditory system employs to organize acoustic inputs into perceptually meaningful elements.  Through ASA, we can accurately group sounds ? even when comprised of multiple frequencies, as in music, or when heard simultaneously ? and avoid blending sources that should be perceived as coming from separate sound sources or events.  As a result, ASA allows you to correctly distinguish and identify a sound of interest, like a voice, from other noise sources.  For example, we can reject all the other voices, music and noise at a party, in order to selectively listen to just one conversation.

This is a well-known illustration of ASA, often referred to as the ?cocktail party effect?.  The ?cocktail party effect? illustrates our ability to focus attention on one person talking, or a single noise source, and block out the surrounding noise.  This same ability enables us to hear and converse even in a noisy place, such as a crowded caf? or a busy street.

Audience is a pioneer in developing commercial products based on the principles of ASA, employing the science of ?Computational Auditory Scene Analysis? or CASA ? the field of study that attempts to recreate sound source separation in the same manner as human hearing in machines.  Using CASA, Audience?s earSmart Advanced Voice processor is able to mimic processes of human hearing to accurately characterize and group complex mixtures of sound into ?sources?, based on a diverse list of cues such as pitch, onset/offset time, spatial location and harmonicity.  The processor evaluates these groupings to correctly identify and isolate the primary voice signal or conversation.