AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 05 October 2011 10:28 AM #31

The recent changes at Netflix haven’t gone unnoticed at Saturday Night Live. This Sketch was cut at the last minute from Saturday Night’s show.

Posted: 05 October 2011 10:30 AM #32

Mercel - 05 October 2011 01:18 PM
    Red Shirted Ensign - 05 October 2011 01:11 PM
    Mercel - 05 October 2011 06:21 AM

The market will be move on 3 things tomorrow:  Europe, Europe and Europe. 

On CNN:  Tim Geithner is doing his best to shore up public perception that Europe will keep the Euro intact (interview with, cough, Mr. BlackBerry herself, Erin Burnett).

She asked TIm if he had an iPhone 4S yet….I don’t think she was kidding.  Then she made a reference to the “cult of mac…” 

Red Shirt Ensign—What’s your fee for jettisoning her off to a Klingon transport ship?

I would do it gratis….I’m not even sure the Ferengi would take her. Their rules of acquisition have some “minimal value’ provisions.

LOL

Erin was obviously confused last night—she thought she was breaking a story with the lackluster traffic

inside Apple stores last night, not realizing the iPhone 4s wasn’t yet in stock.

Well, in my small circle of idiots, everybody wants to get their hands on Siri. The demo video even convinced my wife, who is not a fan of tech innovation generally. She drives around for business and is constantly pulling over to deal with email, texts and calendar issues.  She saw that video and it was suddenly…‘when can I get that?’

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 05 October 2011 10:34 AM #33

Mercel - 05 October 2011 01:12 PM

Have you been watching the news media coverage?  The buzz is not what we got the last time in June 2010.  And for some, there is a fashion element among customers wanting something that also looks new.  Apple is a company known for cutting edge design—a 16 month iPhone is getting to look a bit familiar. 

The iPhone 4s will sell just fine, regardless.

I have been reading it.  I think the most frequently used term is “underwhelms”. I don’t agree, but the public at large is hearing this repeated ad nauseum. Superficial analysis and thinking rules the world today, hence all the over reaction to no 5 in the name. If we got a crappier phone but it was called the iPhone 5, then the reaction would have been different. As investors we need to understand that we are swimming in a great big sea of cluelessness, that takes us places we don’t want to go from time-to-time.

• Posted: 05 October 2011 10:35 AM #34

The implications of SIRI aren’t even remotely understood by the buying public. In fact most of them haven’t even heard of it yet. Once the 4S starts appearing in the hands of buyers, and their friends get a chance to drool over the new features, there will be no question that Apple has another hit on it’s hands.

• Posted: 05 October 2011 10:44 AM #35

Lstream - 05 October 2011 01:34 PM

I have been reading it.  I think the most frequently used term is “underwhelms”. I don’t agree, but the public at large is hearing this repeated ad nauseum. Superficial analysis and thinking rules the world today, hence all the over reaction to no 5 in the name. If we got a crappier phone but it was called the iPhone 5, then the reaction would have been different. As investors we need to understand that we are swimming in a great big sea of cluelessness, that takes us places we don’t want to go from time-to-time.

The king and queen of cluelessness are Guy Adami and Erin Burnett.  The iPhone 4s will be a hit, of that I have little doubt.

Posted: 05 October 2011 10:45 AM #36

willrob - 05 October 2011 01:35 PM

The implications of SIRI aren’t even remotely understood by the buying public. In fact most of them haven’t even heard of it yet. Once the 4S starts appearing in the hands of buyers, and their friends get a chance to drool over the new features, there will be no question that Apple has another hit on it’s hands.

I agree. I just watched the Siri ad and this is a game changer that sets a new standard. A must have. People will not care that the 4S looks the same as the 4, they will have to have this phone.

:apple:

• Posted: 05 October 2011 10:47 AM #37

I bought the dip.  Preorders this Friday will be great.

Posted: 05 October 2011 10:54 AM #38

What the press isn’t acknowledging is:
    Putting a physically larger dual-core cpu, a physically larger world phone cellular processor, a possibly larger battery, and a physically larger 8mp camera into the same high-tech, compact case, is nothing short of a miracle.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

• Posted: 05 October 2011 11:09 AM #39

macglenn - 05 October 2011 01:54 PM

What the press isn’t acknowledging is:
    Putting a physically larger dual-core cpu, a physically larger world phone cellular processor, a possibly larger battery, and a physically larger 8mp camera into the same high-tech, compact case, is nothing short of a miracle.

That doesn’t fit inside a sound bite.  And AAPL gets hit.

Posted: 05 October 2011 11:10 AM #40

MacCube - 05 October 2011 01:45 PM
    willrob - 05 October 2011 01:35 PM

I agree. I just watched the Siri ad and this is a game changer that sets a new standard. A must have. People will not care that the 4S looks the same as the 4, they will have to have this phone.

:apple:

When Apple and the carriers start the real 30 second tv ads for the iPhone 4s, highlighting Siri, it will blow away Mr. And Ms. America.

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 05 October 2011 11:38 AM #41

Remember my recent post re Zoogue offering a free ($30 retail) iPhone 5 case that I ordered without even knowing if I would get an iPhone 5? Even though it only cost me $5 for shipping, I was pissed of course thinking that the company was simply trying to dump cases knowing the iPhone 5 was a myth.

WRONG. Zoogue sent an email yesterday saying sorry, “somebody lied to us about the iPhone 5.” They offered to cancel the order or send a free 4S case. Great company!

But interesting question…  Who lied to Zoogue? How did so many case makers go awry?

Signature

Study the natural order of things and work with it rather than against it…  ? Tao Te Ching

Posted: 05 October 2011 11:47 AM #42

jjjz - 05 October 2011 02:38 PM

... They offered to cancel the order or send a free 4S case...

Is a 4S case exactly the same as a 4 case?

Posted: 05 October 2011 11:48 AM #43

Arrived from an international 8-hour flight on the after-hours yesterday.

Surreal is the proper word. Did not set stops this time, as would not be able to trade during market hours. Do not regret doing so and being spared of watching the bloodbath ensuing the launch of the 4S. In few words will purchase the phone as soon as an unlocked model is available.

Looks pretty much as capitulation yesterday’s action. This morning a retest. Several banks are reiterating and it helps on rebound from early lows of $360.30. Wells Fargo made a nice comment; will post later. Volume expanding, now with 9.3 million shares and recovering almost $8. to $370.51.

Catching up with news and mild jet lag.

Posted: 05 October 2011 11:49 AM #44

Good Morning Boys and Girls

Our schizo stock continues to defy logic.  I am tempted to buy, but I need a green day because trade will give me extra buying power the day after.

We had 42 million shares yesterday.  We have not had that much volume for quite some time.  This tells me everyone was trying to cash in over the hysteria over the new iPhone.

This stock could recover 30 points in 4 days in a flash.  I am not sold we wont see 360 again.  The market is weak and bearish and aapl just moves along.  When the market does turn then aapl will take off like a rocket.

Posted: 05 October 2011 11:50 AM #45

Wells Fargo Maintains an ‘Outperform’ on Apple (AAPL); Voice Is The Killer App (Again)!

10:34 am ET 10/05/2011 - Street Insider
    Wells Fargo maintains an ‘Outperform’ on Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) price target range of $460-$480. Wells analyst says, “We attended Apple s big iPhone event on Tuesday, 10/4, and came away feeling good; probably better than most about the new line-up. While there is obvious disappointment that the company did not release a new form factor iPhone 5 ” we think the upgraded iPhone 4S provides plenty of new features to promote upgrades. The new phone is to be available for pre-order on October 7 and available in stores on October 14. The company also added Sprint to its list of US carriers.” “As we previewed on Monday, we still believe that the bigger news coming out of the event is the enhancements in iOS 5 and in iCloud. We believe the Siri virtual assistant that is integrated into iOS is revolutionary, and a clear differentiator for Apple.”