Sorry if this is OT.  Why get more RAM in your phone?

• Posted: 05 October 2011 03:21 AM

Hi all, perhaps a stupid question, but that’s never stopped me before.

What would be the biggest advantage(s) to getting more RAM in your iPhone? 

Obviously, you could store more songs and movies and presumably Apps.

But aside from that, does having more make an iPhone run better/faster/smoother? 

And, because I don’t own a lot of Apps on my iPhone 1, are there a lot of Apps which need or benefit from more RAM?  Like games or something?

Perhaps having more RAM gives you more room for shooting video with the phone…I would presume that to be the case. 

Maybe I’ll poke around the Apple site to see if they say anything about that.

But I thought I’d ask you guys, because I’m sure many of you have progressed past iPhone 1!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you’d like to share…I want to know if I should get the base iPhone 4s or bump up the RAM.

Signature

Johnny

Posted: 05 October 2011 04:12 AM #1

Back up.

Apple will NEVER tell you the GHz/MHz of the dual-core A5 in an iPhone, nor will they tell you how much RAM is stacked on the A5 chip (this goes for all iOS devices).  Just trust me on this one.

Also, AFAIK Apple will always provide the same amount of RAM on all models of iOS device with the same processor.  The differentiator, at least for iPhone, is flash memory storage capacity. 

RAM is a good thing.  You can never have enough.  It’s just that RAM, like anything, costs money and space.  There’s also the fact that if Apple decided to, say, go to 2GB per phone, that’s a heck of a lot more GBs of supply that has to be secured.  Apple very deliberately must make the call as to whether a certain amount of RAM is sufficient for keeping everything running smoothly for days at a time.  Also a near-certain fact - smartphone aren’t like PCs…don’t even think you can upgrade or BTO more RAM.

iOS has decent RAM management for when you have too many apps up (more RAM = better multitasking).  It will shut some apps down or force webpages to reload into RAM to free up resources.

[ Edited: 05 October 2011 04:15 AM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 05 October 2011 04:16 AM #2

Oops…what I meant was having the 8G vs the 16g vs 32g vs 64g.

Is it worth the extra money to have the extra storage?

Signature

Johnny

Posted: 05 October 2011 04:20 AM #3

Of course - if you NEED it.

It’s pretty simple.  How much iStuff do you have or intend to take on your iPhone/etc?

Gonna take lots of 1080p video or photos?  Have a large photo/video/music library?  Have tons of apps like games?  Keep that in mind for the 16GB model.

If I had to guess I’d say 32GB will be more than enough for many, and 16GB is fine for casual users.  64GB is for the power users and possibly those using iPhones as their ONLY computing device.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.