Yes! I’m upgrading from an iPhone 4
Yes! I’m upgrading from an iPhone 3GS
Yes! I’m upgrading from an iPhone or iPhone 3
I’m waiting for the iPhone 5
I want to upgrade, but can’t afford to
No way! I expected more
Meh. I’ll stick with the phone I already have

Posted: 05 October 2011 11:25 AM

Apple introduced the iPhone 4S on Tuesday with a faster A5 processor, longer battery life, 8 megapixel camera, and Siri voice control. Are you planning on buying one?

• Posted: 05 October 2011 11:47 AM #1

I have been using an old Moto Razor for years.  It does what I want and have an iPod touch for everything else.  Thinking of taking the bit for a new iPhone 4 as they are now $99, but I wish I would not have to pay for a data package.  I am either at work, connected to wi-fi, or at home, on my wireless network.  Do I really need data?  Not using it now.  So, why do you have to subscribe to a data package to have the iPhone? 

I just don’t get it (other than profit for the carrier!)?

Signature

KnightATC

• Posted: 05 October 2011 11:59 AM #2

Yes, I will order it on Friday. I have an old 3G which works but is slow and no longer updates.

I am excited to have Siri. It is something I will really use. Anyone know if it can have a male voice or is it only a female voice?

I usually go for the “deals” but this time I want a phone that will be the newest model because I keep them so long. I’m glad that they just updated the 4. Everyone I know who has one, loves it.

[ Edited: 05 October 2011 12:07 PM by Ref Librarian ]      

Posted: 05 October 2011 12:01 PM #3

I can’t vote because there’s no button for people who are upgrading from a non-iPhone. I’ve always had a work-supplied POS phone from Moto or Sony. Now I’m retired and buying my first personal mobile phone, the iPhone 4s, with the gift money collected by my generous friends and former colleagues. I’m not at all disappointed by Apple’s update and agree completely with Apple’s decision to wait for the right time (and chip) to introduce a 4G phone.

Posted: 05 October 2011 12:04 PM #4

I agree with knightATC. I have a minimal phone and an iPodTouch and they do most of what I want. (My cell plan only has 50 minutes per month and I don’t even use that so I can’t justify spending a lot for a phone.)  I was very disappointed there were no real updates to the iPT. Siri looks amazingly cool but unless they let the iPad2 run it I’ll not be taking a look for a long time.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 05 October 2011 12:32 PM #5

geoduck - 05 October 2011 03:04 PM

I agree with knightATC. I have a minimal phone and an iPodTouch and they do most of what I want. (My cell plan only has 50 minutes per month and I don’t even use that so I can’t justify spending a lot for a phone.)  I was very disappointed there were no real updates to the iPT. Siri looks amazingly cool but unless they let the iPad2 run it I’ll not be taking a look for a long time.

I’m with you too. I don’t use my phone enough to justify paying for a data plan, especially with wifi where I spend most of my time (home and work). Give me an iPhone without a mandatory data-plan and I’ll buy it now. Until then, I’ll stick to my pre-pay phone and iPod Touch.

I too hope Siri makes it to iPad so I can try it out.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 05 October 2011 01:04 PM #6

I’ve always been curious if it would be possible to buy my own iPhone outright and purchase only the standard phone contract with the stipulation that no data plan would be activated for my particular number. I see no reason why any carrier could (would) not allow that ? other than their potential income ‘loss’. It would certainly save them the expense of providing me with one of their basic feature phones initially.

Let’s say that my current ‘basic’ phone is lost or damaged but I have a previous ‘basic’ phone from that carrier. They would reactivate that for me. Which leads me to wonder why they would not also activate any other phone for me (provided it worked on their network).

Posted: 05 October 2011 01:06 PM #7

I can only vote once, but add my wife’s proxy vote to upgrading from an iPhone 3GS

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 05 October 2011 01:11 PM #8

Agee - 05 October 2011 04:04 PM

I’ve always been curious if it would be possible to buy my own iPhone outright and purchase only the standard phone contract with the stipulation that no data plan would be activated for my particular number.

It likely varies from carrier to carrier. I asked about upgrading to an iPhone from my basic phone a few years ago and wanted to do exactly that. Rogers (patoie*) said that it was “illegal” for them to sell a data phone without a data plan. But then Rogers (patoie) is known for being a bunch of pathological liars. They also told me that they could not tell me what the monthly cost would be until after I signed the contract. YMMV if you are with a cell company not run by demons.

*the sound of one man spitting

Signature

• Posted: 05 October 2011 01:12 PM #9

I have a Motorola media phone that I got *free* for resigning with Verizon a few years back. I ‘want’ an iPhone but don’t have the free money to justify a 649 unlocked iPhone 4S.

Like FlipFriddle, geoduck, and knightATC, I also don’t want a Data Plan. Which is why I’d likely need an unlocked iPhone. The last time I tried to get a smartphone from Verizon (because I wanted a Phone + PDA, and I got WiFi access all over the place) they were quite belligerent on requiring a Data Plan. The problem is that Data is part of their subsidy, pay less now, pay more in hidden recoup costs later.

We went back and forth at the register and my solution was to take the *free* phone and then go buy an iPod Touch 3rd Gen a 6th months later when it was released. Now I have two devices where I wanted one.

I also want control over my device (mostly). I really hate the way Verizon has cripple my media phone, especially in the BS way they control simple thing like ring tones. So I’ll likely be looking down the road to an unlocked World phone iPhone 5 or iPhone 6. And then probably never buy a new phone again for 6 or 7 years. With the way iPhones are progressing they’re starting to hit computer levels of longevity. 3 to 5 years should be how long they last for “modern” software. The A5 is about the only processor I’ll accept in an iOS device at this point for a longevity standpoint. Off topic, the iPod Touch still having an A4 makes me hesitant to recommend people buy it. If they wait a year it’ll likely have an A5 and much more usability.

Posted: 05 October 2011 02:01 PM #10

Would wait to see if Sprint sells and return to Sprint.

I was with Sprint for a long time before moving to AT&T for the iPhone.  Would love to return to Sprint.

Posted: 05 October 2011 02:07 PM #11

I definitely will: I’m now off my 3-year contract with Rogers, so this is an ideal time to upgrade my old 3G, which is laggy on even basic tasks thanks to iOS 4.0.

The only question is how I upgrade. My plan with Rogers is overpowered, but a great bargain for the features it offers. While I have seen better promotions (and just missed one, in fact), they likely will not be available by the time the phone is out.

So, either I lock myself back into the Rogers plan, wait to upgrade to see if the competitors manage a better deal sometime later this year, or buy it outright and stick with Rogers until something better comes along whenever.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

Posted: 05 October 2011 02:11 PM #12

1stplacemacuser - 05 October 2011 05:01 PM

I was with Sprint for a long time before moving to AT&T for the iPhone.  Would love to return to Sprint.

Same here and I was pleased with the network. However, I have come to appreciate using the phone and data at the same time, can Sprint do that.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 05 October 2011 06:30 PM #13

KitsuneStudios - 05 October 2011 05:07 PM

buy it outright

That’s what I’d recommend. Go with Koodo or somebody like that MtoM. More upfront but I figured it up about a year ago and found I would be ahead after the first year.

Signature

Posted: 05 October 2011 06:48 PM #14

You don’t. Buy a used unlocked jailbroken iPhone 4. You might have to run it on T-Mobile, which is what I do. I love my iPhone, which I do not have a data plan with. I use strictly wi-fi, and I have a dedicated map program that stores maps on the phone so I don’t need data for that either. There are tons of unlocked iPhones on EBay and Craigslist. Best $240 dollars I have spend.

Or you can buy a new unlocked 3GS, iPhone 4, or iPhone 4GS from Apple. The cost is higher out of pocket (anywhere from $399 to $749 depending on what model you are buying), but you will save money in about six months as you will not be paying for a data plan (again depending on how much you pay for data and what model you pick). You can only run those on T-Mobile and AT&T (GSM networks). I am considering doing this for the low end 4GS, as I also don’t’ need data. Although I might get a ten dollar a month unlimited T-Mobile data plan.

knightATC - 05 October 2011 02:47 PM

I have been using an old Moto Razor for years.  It does what I want and have an iPod touch for everything else.  Thinking of taking the bit for a new iPhone 4 as they are now $99, but I wish I would not have to pay for a data package.  I am either at work, connected to wi-fi, or at home, on my wireless network.  Do I really need data?  Not using it now.  So, why do you have to subscribe to a data package to have the iPhone? 

I just don’t get it (other than profit for the carrier!)?

[ Edited: 05 October 2011 06:53 PM by Terrin ]      

Posted: 05 October 2011 06:55 PM #15

My friend is doing that. Sprint told him they will offer discounts to previous Sprint users who defected for the iPhone.

1stplacemacuser - 05 October 2011 05:01 PM