Siri = Undermines Android Business Model

Posted: 05 October 2011 01:02 PM

Doesn’t using Siri undermine the whole premise of what Google is trying to accomplish. Show the user Advertisements. 

Not once was safari opened or google used to find anything in the demo.  It seems like Siri is built into the OS so the apps will install something to hook into Siri so you bypass the “internet” and google all together.  It looks into the Yelp app or the Wiki App is accessed and you are taken directly to your request.

There are no ads on those things or at least I didn’t see any.

If voice does become the “new inteface” how is Google going to integrate this into their own phones and still be able to show the users advertisements?  They have some apps that do this now but they aren’t built into the OS and no one uses them b/c they are not very good.  They will have to build them into the OS in their new software to keep up with copying Apple.

Am I missing something here?  What is Google’s gameplan?

• Posted: 05 October 2011 01:16 PM #1

spoonman - 05 October 2011 04:02 PM

They are probably hard at work right now figuring out whose software they can steal, so that they can copy Siri and give it away for free.

Posted: 05 October 2011 01:18 PM #2

Here is what you are missing.

the iPHone and iOS helps google more then the Android phone.

The slide that showed how 63% of iPHone users are browsing the web vs 33% of Android users says it all.

People still google for info.  As more people buy iPods and and iPHones for the first time the more likely they will be to use google on the go.

Just as Apple has the monopoly on Apps and Music, Google has the monopoly on the world wide web and advertising.

The way Siri kills Android is thru volume of iPhones sold.  Siri is one more reason to buy an iOS device vs an Android device.

Over time Android will have a hard time competing with the iPHone if you can get and iPHone 4 for free or $49 in 12 months that runs circles around the best Android phone.

96% of consumers are very satisfied with their iPHones.  That figure alone should make Android weak in the knees. 

The free 3GS iPhone is what will slowly kill Android this year.  I have no idea how old any of the Android phones are and most consumers have no idea how old the free 3GS phone is.  But guess what it looks like the present iPHone and does most everything else very well with good battery life.

Their first iPHone may be the 3GS and their second maybe the iPHone 4, but they will never switch to Android from that point on.

Posted: 05 October 2011 01:20 PM #3

Excellent points, spoonman.  I suppose that Google could bias the answers given by “Googi” to those companies that pay to play, but that could be a PR disaster if it worked out badly.

Posted: 05 October 2011 01:32 PM #4

so basically if Siri really catches on and everyone uses it the apple ecosystem will be bypassing Google and Google suffers.

In turn in order for Android to keep up with Apple they need their own Siri inside the OS that works just as well.  That will also bypass “google internet search”.

So if voice catches on Android is screwed both ways?

• Posted: 05 October 2011 01:44 PM #5

Doesn’t using Siri undermine the whole premise of what Google is trying to accomplish. Show the user Advertisements. 

Not once was safari opened or google used to find anything in the demo.  It seems like Siri is built into the OS so the apps will install something to hook into Siri so you bypass the “internet” and google all together.  It looks into the Yelp app or the Wiki App is accessed and you are taken directly to your request.

If voice does become the “new inteface” how is Google going to integrate this into their own phones and still be able to show the users advertisements?  They have some apps that do this now but they aren’t built into the OS and no one uses them b/c they are not very good.  They will have to build them into the OS in their new software to keep up with copying Apple.

I think you’ve got it just about right.

Posted: 05 October 2011 02:06 PM #6

FalKirk - 05 October 2011 04:44 PM

I think what you are forgetting is that Android already has google voice.  People can search anything by voice and google benefits.

Google voice is on the iPHone now if I am not mistaken.

It think Apple is trying to get people off the web and into apps for everything they do. Voice search is one first step of many.

I am waiting for voice directions and better maps.  Apple is lining that up and we should see it next year.  Many people who love the Android phones rave about google voice directions.

I think you’ve got it just about right.

• Posted: 05 October 2011 02:07 PM #7

The internet, and Google are so good at finding things that the need for push advertising is reduced to brand visibility and product introduction. People can find what they want for themselves, and a push ad, even if it succeeds in attracting a buyer, is quite likely to deliver a sale to a competitor, because once a need is recognised, the first step is to Google the product/service to select the one you really want. Google makes its money from attaching and selling ads to the late stage of the product or service buying cycle.

That’s still going to work for big things like a car or a camera. But for the thousands of little needs Google was hoping to sell ads against, Siri is going to deliver what you want without requiring your attention. It’s a much more efficient use of your time, and once you experience it, you’re going to be irritated by the approach Google requires in order to attach advertisements. The Google experience is going to be a bit like being a western tourist in Shanghai, or Mumbai, constantly bombarded by offers you don’t want.

Apple’s killer asset is the superior customer relationship. To sell something to an iPhone user, you’re going to have to befriend Siri, and Siri belongs to Apple. Siri can give you what you want direct, without advertising, and Siri can preserve your privacy within your device, where Google would need to track you to match Siri’s abilities.

• Posted: 05 October 2011 02:22 PM #8

Dan Frommer wrote about this subject here:

Apple is quietly disintermediating Google in mobile search

And here:

Watch as Apple?s Siri starts to remove Google from the mobile search equation

Posted: 05 October 2011 03:11 PM #9

Nice thanks for the articles.

So how long until Google implements their own Siri into their OS?

Is it going to be on this new Ice Cream Cupcake coming out or will it be jellybean or whatever they use for J? 

I’m assuming google would want to direct the users to their own services.

I could see something like you ask for the closest sushi restaurant and it brings up a list but it also brings up “google offers” and shows you a coupon or something.

Posted: 05 October 2011 04:04 PM #10

Can anyone here comment on the real capacity and potential of the Infinity app available for Android that Bosco seems to think is the near equivalent of Siri? If its a serious app, then Android has a chance of catching up fairly quickly. However, my reading of the background behind Siri (SRI) suggests it should be a much more sophisticated animal. Another question: how much of Siri is/can be IP protected from competitors and copy cats?

• Posted: 05 October 2011 04:13 PM #11

macProf - 05 October 2011 07:04 PM

Can anyone here comment on the real capacity and potential of the Infinity app available for Android that Bosco seems to think is the near equivalent of Siri? If its a serious app, then Android has a chance of catching up fairly quickly. However, my reading of the background behind Siri (SRI) suggests it should be a much more sophisticated animal. Another question: how much of Siri is/can be IP protected from competitors and copy cats?

I don’t know anything about Infinity so I do not want to comment on it other than to say that I would think that Siri would have a significant advantage because it was baked into the OS. That allows for two things. Better integration and, eventually, access by third parties Apps.

Posted: 05 October 2011 04:32 PM #12

macProf - 05 October 2011 07:04 PM

I would take Bosco’s claims with a grain of salt.  SIRI was a startup out of Standford Research Institute SRI which was also the creator of Nuance.  The project was DARPA/DOD sponsored called CALO .  If they are not a major company or research institute studying AI, then we are talking about a different animal.  If you flip through the publications from CALO you’ll see a ton of technical/research papers covering a range of AI topics.  As an example   The CALO Meeting Assistant .  This is the first major attempt at a usable AI system in a mainstream device.  This is much more then voice recognition voice control and text to speech.  As Apple matures the system they will tie into additional sources of information.  As far as the IP depends on which area.  Nuance owns a ton of IP in Voice, but so do Google, IBM & Microsoft.

Posted: 05 October 2011 06:37 PM #13

Thanks Pats,

To me this is a very important issue. If Siri lives up to its hype, and continues to develop and accrue patents, its possible that this is truly game over for other smart phone wannabes. On the other hand, if there’s nothing stopping them from decoding and copying the software, then its just a small and temporary advantage. I also suspect its the former case thats true, but would like to know more. Minimally though, the ability of Siri to work with all of the iPhone’s main applications, and the product development timeline that we can only imagine, give Apple a tremendous leg up. So my current take is that, yes, this is a game changer and one that the press should be giving a hell of a lot more attention to. I’m assuming Siri will be Implemented in iOS5, and therefore in current and upcoming iPads as well - something else that I haven’t seen discussed. That would quickly put out some ‘fires’.

Posted: 05 October 2011 07:49 PM #14

. TUAW. has a detailed list of valid commands by application

• Posted: 05 October 2011 07:57 PM #15

FalKirk - 05 October 2011 05:22 PM

Dan Frommer wrote about this subject here:

Apple is quietly disintermediating Google in mobile search

And here:

Watch as Apple?s Siri starts to remove Google from the mobile search equation

To hell with the analysts, they haven’t been able to influence investors to buy for some time.

The SIRI demo should be shown to all investors and let them make their own conclusions about Apple’s future, and whether they want to be onboard.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.