preorder and opening weekend sales? Over 4 Million!

• Posted: 07 October 2011 10:19 AM

I just ordered an 4S in Canada and delivery date is already pushed to oct 24th. Makes me think sales are brisk.

Anyone willing to guess the number for opening weekend plus preorders?

Things to consider:

a) 6 countries this time
    b) rumors that production started weeks ago and was waiting for IOS 5 to be finished
    c) same body, production doesn’t need time to ramp up
    d) Sprint and many more telcos since iphone 4 in the mix
    e) more stores opened since last year
    f) same body, it may not cause a big splash among early adopters
    ( but I ordered mine :) )

[ Edited: 17 October 2011 10:08 AM by sleepygeek ]      

Posted: 07 October 2011 11:45 AM #1

One thing is for sure. 

The Apple Store is jammed.  You can’t even check status of orders.

Either we have a major hiccup (which I doubt) or we will be stunned with all the pre order numbers.

Given past history we may get some number during earnings release, but lately Apple has just waited until the following quarterly release.  So we may not know until Jan.

Posted: 07 October 2011 11:49 AM #2

The German Apple Store shows now 1 - 2 weeks instead of October 14th and I guess this will move up over the weekend!
    So, how many 4S had Apple available for the initial shipping? grin

Posted: 07 October 2011 11:51 AM #3

If you tried to order this morning here in the US it still said shipping by 10/14.

Wonder if that is wrong.

Posted: 07 October 2011 11:55 AM #4

My order confirmation says October 14th, so I really hope to get it next week ... rolleyes

Edit: I cannot access the page with my order state, but ordering seems to work…

[ Edited: 07 October 2011 12:00 PM by Elmar ]      
  • Posted: 07 October 2011 12:51 PM #5

I’m bummed.  I was ready at 12:01AM PST to order, but they didn’t have the store back up until sometime later in the night after I gave up and went to bed.  Now it’s morning on the west coast and all the eastern time buyers already bought the first week worth of shipments.

I guess I’ll go to a Verizon store on the morning of the 14th.  When the iPhone 4 was released for VZ back in February, I was able to saunter into a Verizon store on my own good time later that weekend and they had stock available.  I expect higher demand this time out, but I doubt Verizon will be as heavily slammed as Apple and ATT.  (For example, 3G Verizon iPad 2 was available on a fairly stable basis after the initial shortages.)

Who knows what Sprint’s in-store volume will be like.  I’m intrigued and curious to find out.

By the way, anyone else notice the 4S has the Verizon-style volume buttons instead of the ATT-style rocker switch?

• Posted: 07 October 2011 01:03 PM #6

9:00am Pacific, and all models in the US Apple Store still say delivery on Oct 14. I stayed up until the store came online at 12:45am to order mine, though it looks like I could have gotten a better night’s sleep.

• Posted: 07 October 2011 01:17 PM #7

I found AT&T’s text messaging plans quite onerous, so I’m hoping a lot of my friends and favorite services start using iMessage. I guess it’s time to figure out how that’s going to work.

AT&T’s options are now:

$20/month for unlimited texts and MMS
    $0.20 per text and $0.30 per MMS

• Posted: 07 October 2011 01:27 PM #8

mstefa - 07 October 2011 01:19 PM

I just ordered an 4S in Canada and delivery date is already pushed to oct 24th. Makes me think sales are brisk.

Things to consider:

f) same body, it may not cause a big splash among early adopters
    ( but I ordered mine smile )

I don’t think this is a real issue.  My thoughts are that the complainers weren’t iPhone owners/users, or were looking for hits.

People don’t buy a $200 - $400 (with 2 year contract) device because it ‘looks nice or new’.  They buy for its utility, ease of use and reliability.

SIRI is going to blow people away.  It will become a must have feature in future handsets, just as did displays, music, finger swipes, test messaging, cameras and touch screens before it.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 07 October 2011 01:59 PM #9

Ok

Here is my update.  Confirmed email from Apple that I will get my iPhone 4S delivered on Oct 14. :-D

Got the email 2.5 hours from ordering.

My brother ordered his thru Verizon and will get his on Friday as well.

So far so good.

Posted: 07 October 2011 02:04 PM #10

Gregg Thurman - 07 October 2011 04:27 PM

SIRI is going to blow people away.  It will become a must have feature in future handsets, just as did displays, music, finger swipes, test messaging, cameras and touch screens before it.

I agree. Apple has just lit the fuse. The explosion begins once reviewers go into detail on how it works and give examples of common use cases. The fireball will grow as people try it out in stores and on friend’s iPhones.

• Posted: 07 October 2011 03:50 PM #11

Gregg Thurman - 07 October 2011 04:27 PM

SIRI is going to blow people away.

I’m excited about Siri. I don’t see myself using it at work (thin cubicle walls) or in a restaurant or other public places, but in the car or at home it will be handy.

I guess one fear is that it will get a bad reputation because some morons decide that it gives them a right to have loud “conversations” with their phones in public, possibly because they never learn how to do things any other way.

Posted: 07 October 2011 06:47 PM #12

Siri will be amazing.

You know what will be even better? When apple provides APIs to developers to let them use Siri in their apps. A whole new range of innovative apps are going to arrive - we can’t even conceive what sort of gems a 100,000 developers are going to come up with….

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 07 October 2011 07:14 PM #13

We usually don’t get sales numbers from opening weekends.  We get references to numbers.

I’m hoping Sprint tries to ‘show off’ by releasing their numbers-forcing AT&T and Verizon to do the same.

Apple needs good PR right now.  Of let me put it this way-WE need Apple to get good PR right now.  My options need Apple to get good PR right now.

• Posted: 07 October 2011 07:27 PM #14

Confirmed! My iPhone arrives on the 14th! I can’t wait!

• Posted: 07 October 2011 09:27 PM #15

AT&T Alone Sees 200,000 iPhone 4S Preorders in First 12 Hours, Their Most Successful iPhone Launch Ever

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/07/att-alone-sees-200000-iphone-4s-preorders-in-first-12-hours/