safe download app gives an error now ??? What do I do now

Posted: 09 October 2011 09:23 PM

Hi! Right now the safe download app is giving me an error"can’t make oct into type integer”.

I have the June 4 2011 version 0.4.1 installed and it seems to be the only one available when I click on the link in TIPS section from June on Mac Observer website.

Should I just pitch this app or is there a new version I should get from the Mac Observer website?

Thanks!

OH - PS I am running snow leopard all software updates up to date ... and my imac 24” and white macbook both show the message I posted. This script used to work great.  I haven’t been home for a month and when I got back in Oct it showed the Oct problem.

[ Edited: 10 October 2011 11:56 AM by tammythemongoose ]

Image Attachments

Screen shot 2011-10-09 at 5.20.33 PM.png

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Posted: 12 October 2011 11:23 AM #1

tammythemongoose - 10 October 2011 12:23 AM

Hi! Right now the safe download app is giving me an error"can’t make oct into type integer”.

I have the June 4 2011 version 0.4.1 installed and it seems to be the only one available when I click on the link in TIPS section from June on Mac Observer website.

Should I just pitch this app or is there a new version I should get from the Mac Observer website?

Thanks!

OH - PS I am running snow leopard all software updates up to date ... and my imac 24” and white macbook both show the message I posted. This script used to work great.  I haven’t been home for a month and when I got back in Oct it showed the Oct problem.

I have the same issue..  Just going to have to wait until Apple Updates it..

Posted: 12 October 2011 12:17 PM #2

UpQuark - 12 October 2011 02:23 PM
    tammythemongoose - 10 October 2011 12:23 AM

Thanks!

I have the same issue..  Just going to have to wait until Apple Updates it..

It isn’t apple’s app - it was developed by the creative minds at TMO:  TMO?s own coding wizard Adam Christianson on the task to make the task easier. The result was Safe Download Version, which is an application that shows your current Safe File definition list version number along with the last time the list was updated.  See this post. So this question is addressed to Adam and TMO to find out if this is a bug and if we’ll get a new SAFE DOWNLOAD VERSION app! Thanks.
    See: http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/apple_safe_files_list_finding_your_version_number/

Posted: 12 October 2011 02:47 PM #3

This is for sure a bug. The reality is that this was a quick Applescript App I threw together just check to see if Apple’s Safe Downloads were up to date. It was never really supported by Apple, but worked. I may be able to update it, but not sure when I can get to it. I’m also happy to release the source if any Applescript coders out there want to pick up the torch.

• Posted: 19 October 2011 08:15 PM #4

Adam, I’m running into the same issue. With the latest warnings about an update to the previous malware, that now supposedly disables security, any word on an update?

Posted: 20 October 2011 07:33 PM #5

Adam Christianson - 12 October 2011 05:47 PM

This is for sure a bug. The reality is that this was a quick Applescript App I threw together just check to see if Apple’s Safe Downloads were up to date. It was never really supported by Apple, but worked. I may be able to update it, but not sure when I can get to it. I’m also happy to release the source if any Applescript coders out there want to pick up the torch.

Thanks - I’ll keep checking back. Can you post here, Adam if you get time to release a new version and a link to get it?

MANY THANKS! Love your podcast and listen to that one as well!
    (MacCast)

Posted: 25 October 2011 02:09 PM #6

I was finally able to dig in a squash this bug. The new build can be downloaded here:

Safe Download Version v0.4.2

Release Notes
    ——————————
    - Fixed bug where ‘Oct’ was not properly recognized date string

Posted: 25 October 2011 02:27 PM #7

I was finally able to dig in a squash this bug. The new build can be downloaded here:

AWESOME! Just For the Record…as of Oct 25 10 AM Pacific time - I’m on VERSION # 31!

smile