Question About iCloud SYNC

• Posted: 11 October 2011 03:13 PM

Currently I control what is synced between my iDevices on my Mac.  When SYNC occurs automatically via iCloud will I have the same control?

The reason I ask is this.  If everything that could be synced to my iPhone/iPad were, I’d have to increase available memory by 16Gig.  $100.00.

If there is no control over content syncing, could the extra memory requirements cause iPhone ASP to increase accordingly?

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 11 October 2011 03:22 PM #1

Gregg Thurman - 11 October 2011 06:13 PM

... If everything that could be synced to my iPhone/iPad were, I’d have to increase available memory by 16Gig ...

That’s my counter-argument vs one AFBer who think Apple should sell extremely low memory iOS devices.  Having said that, I think Apple would allow us to allocate how much memory for iCloud syncing.  Also, there should be an option to switch on/off the iCloud sync, probably default is on.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 11 October 2011 03:52 PM #2

Mace - 11 October 2011 06:22 PM

... If everything that could be synced to my iPhone/iPad were, I’d have to increase available memory by 16Gig ...

That’s my counter-argument vs one AFBer who think Apple should sell extremely low memory iOS devices.  Having said that, I think Apple would allow us to allocate how much memory for iCloud syncing.  Also, there should be an option to switch on/off the iCloud sync, probably default is on.

Mace, I’m not talking about available memory on iCloud.  I’m talking about the memory capacity of iDevices, and whether I have control over which apps, music, videos, etc are synced between devices.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 11 October 2011 04:13 PM #3

Gregg Thurman - 11 October 2011 06:52 PM
    Mace - 11 October 2011 06:22 PM

Mace, I’m not talking about available memory on iCloud.  I’m talking about the memory capacity of iDevices, and whether I have control over which apps, music, videos, etc are synced between devices.

Gregg
    There is an on/off switch for ibooks, apps & music to automatically download new purchases plus their is a history on purchase which allows you to download any previous purchase. Itunes Video is not currently covered probably due to bandwidth.  Documents require the individual apps to implement the functionality so if they have to implement the feature in their app.  Photo stream is in the cloud and you pick if you want a copy on an iOS device.  Your iPhoto library can be set to automatically download pictures shot on iphone/ipad.

• Posted: 11 October 2011 04:16 PM #4

I do not want automatic anything unless I select it

I want iWeb maintained

I want iDisk maintained

Get off my iLawn you damn kids smile

Posted: 11 October 2011 05:05 PM #5

roni - 11 October 2011 07:16 PM

I want iWeb maintained

I want iDisk maintained

When I was your age we had to carry floppy discs… uphill… in the snow! :wink:

Seriously, I have many times more media than my 16 gig iPhone4 could handle. I load up several gigs of music, but for apps, movies, and books I carry just the stuff I need now. I’ve grown to like having all my previous purchased media available since IOS 4.33s “automatic downloads” iCloud demo came out.

So, it looks like you will be able to manage your media to just what you want, yet have all of your stuff accessible.

update: iTunes 10.5 is out, with iCloud and wifi synching

[ Edited: 11 October 2011 05:43 PM by stevereel ]

Signature

I’ve never owned a windows PC. Never will.

High tech Meditation Music

• Posted: 11 October 2011 05:44 PM #6

Pats and Stevereel,  Thanks for the info.

It would appear that extra memory will not be necessary because of iCloud syncing.  Therefore iPhone ASP should not be affected by this service.

Signature

• Posted: 11 October 2011 05:50 PM #7

roni - 11 October 2011 07:16 PM

I want iWeb maintained

I want iDisk maintained

+ 1 for iWeb.  I love this application.  It would be a shame to discontinue it.

Posted: 11 October 2011 05:54 PM #8

iCloud SYNC sounds too much like Microsoft SYNC.  Someone do something about the thread title.  wink LOL

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 11 October 2011 05:59 PM #9

... Mace, I’m not talking about available memory on iCloud.  I’m talking about the memory capacity of iDevices, and whether I have control over which apps, music, videos, etc are synced between devices.

I understand your question perfectly.

Pats - Your response has answered Gregg but not mine.  Thought he has similar issue rolleyes.  If you’ve too much things to sync, there has to be rules to kick off outdated content and also one may want some spare memory in the device not to be used by syncing.  This is decided by me now but with iCloud syncing, it has to be determined by iCloud based on some rules set by us.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 11 October 2011 06:16 PM #10

I had a similar question.  Mainly because my daughters each have an iPod shuffle.  They keep only music they like on them,  we download their music on my account as they are only ages 4 and 7.  I don’t want their music on any of my devices but it appears as though with icloud sync it may end up there :-(

Posted: 11 October 2011 06:30 PM #11

You can easily control what iDevice gets what content via iTunes.

As for shuffles?!  Uh…you won’t have any iCloud issues there…

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 11 October 2011 06:38 PM #12

This may help.

iTunes in the Cloud

Signature

I’ve never owned a windows PC. Never will.

High tech Meditation Music

Posted: 11 October 2011 07:19 PM #13

Mace - 11 October 2011 08:59 PM

... Mace, I’m not talking about available memory on iCloud.  I’m talking about the memory capacity of iDevices, and whether I have control over which apps, music, videos, etc are synced between devices.

I understand your question perfectly.

Pats - Your response has answered Gregg but not mine.  Thought he has similar issue rolleyes.  If you’ve too much things to sync, there has to be rules to kick off outdated content and also one may want some spare memory in the device not to be used by syncing.  This is decided by me now but with iCloud syncing, it has to be determined by iCloud based on some rules set by us.

mace sorry on the no answer you can definitely turn iCloud off and on.  As far as the future of NAND in Apple devices, their are a couple dynamics working.  First Apple is the largest purchaser of NAND so their decisions are felt throughout the supply chain.  The cost per GB stagnated in 2010 and as a result It appears Apple did not increase NAND per device.  Historically DRAM has decrease at a rate of 32% per year and NAND was going at about 40-50%.  Then it hit a wall when it started to close on $1 per GB and was stuck in the 1-2$ range. the price seems to be moving toward the $1 per GB again if you use the spot market as an indicator and suddenly Apple produces an iPhone with 64GB.  The next generation NAND is coming on line which should provide better margins for the manufacturers which one of them Samsung is in a major pissing match with Apple.  So we get a 64GB iPhone, but no 128GB iPod Touch.  Samsung should not bite the hand that feeds them.  Video storage & high res photo will drive mem requirements up but Apple will manage that by delivering 720p vs 1080p on iTunes for movies.  IMO Apple has turned up the required mass storage for iOS 5 with higher res photos & movies, future games with better graphics and iTunes match with higher quality audio then most people currently use making last years 16GB equate to this years 32 GB.

Posted: 11 October 2011 08:09 PM #14

At some point, 16GB will become the new amount of base capacity for at least the year-old phone, while 32GB will be the “low end” for the newest iPhone generation.  It’s kinda difficult to push Retina Display apps and 1080p video and ever-increasing MP photos with the same amount of capacity since the 3GS back in 2009.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 11 October 2011 08:46 PM #15

Mav - 11 October 2011 11:09 PM

At some point, 16GB will become the new amount of base capacity for at least the year-old phone, while 32GB will be the “low end” for the newest iPhone generation.  It’s kinda difficult to push Retina Display apps and 1080p video and ever-increasing MP photos with the same amount of capacity since the 3GS back in 2009.

Thing is NAND is not getting the job done compared to HDD and physics is about two generations away from creating a big problem.  While NAND manufactures kept pricing high, HDD manufacturers continued to drive prices down so I think while we’ll get incremental improvements along then price curve while we wait for Phase change memory