iPhone 4S vs. Samsung Galaxy S II drop test

Posted: 17 October 2011 12:10 PM

Here’s one thing Apple could copy from Samsung.

[ Edited: 31 March 2012 05:25 AM by Laurie Fleming ]

Image Attachments

Serious glass kicking.jpeg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Posted: 17 October 2011 12:21 PM #1

Brad Hutchings (Bosco) - 17 October 2011 03:10 PM

Here’s one thing Apple could copy from Samsung.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 17 October 2011 12:22 PM #2

Here is something Samsung could try and copy from Apple.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/briancaulfield/2011/10/17/apple-sells-4-million-iphone-4ss-over-weekend/

Posted: 17 October 2011 01:00 PM #3

I would request that personal attacks not be used on any person posting in the AFB.

As far as I can tell, the linked story showed a simple scientific experiment and photographic results.

Posted: 17 October 2011 01:24 PM #4

I would call it demonstrative and anecdotal rather than scientific, but the main point is that it shows a pretty obvious difference in design goals and philosophy between Apple and Samsung.

Posted: 17 October 2011 01:27 PM #5

Tetrachloride - 17 October 2011 04:00 PM

I would request that personal attacks not be used on any person posting in the AFB.

As far as I can tell, the linked story showed a simple scientific experiment and photographic results.

But I really do feel dumber for reading the OP.

In other news, fine china also breaks when dropped and thrown stones continue to break glass windows at an unprecedented rate.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 17 October 2011 01:34 PM #6

Eric Landstrom - 17 October 2011 04:27 PM

But I really do feel dumber for reading the OP.

In other news, fine china also breaks when dropped and thrown stones continue to break glass windows at an unprecedented rate.

I’m kinda worried that you were that dumb to begin with Eric. The front screen of the GS2 is glass. It’s official, licensed Gorilla Glass, not a cheap and ineffective Apple knock-off. And that’s the punchline of the video, not what happens or does not happen to the back of the phone.

Posted: 17 October 2011 01:43 PM #7

Hmmm Similarly I guess Leica could learn a lot from Casio :dunce:

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 17 October 2011 01:51 PM #8

With all due respect macglenn, when Leica sells 4M units in a weekend, yeah, they could probably learn a lot about durability from Casio. Phones get dropped, even by people who are pretty careful with them, because they are handled casually very often over the course of their lifetime.

A hidden thing that this shows is the actual cost of the iPhone 4 to a typical consumer. Add in the price of AppleCare Protection Plus to the contract price of the phone. Apple’s pricing on that, along with taking the flexibility away from geniuses to replace phones damaged that way suggests that Apple thinks between 5% and 15% of phones would meet such an end.

Posted: 17 October 2011 02:06 PM #9

Brad Hutchings (Bosco) - 17 October 2011 04:51 PM

A hidden thing that this shows is the actual cost of the iPhone 4 to a typical consumer. Add in the price of AppleCare Protection Plus to the contract price of the phone. Apple’s pricing on that, along with taking the flexibility away from geniuses to replace phones damaged that way suggests that Apple thinks between 5% and 15% of phones would meet such an end.

Interesting to see how this post has made the mod who moved it out of AFB a little dumber too. AFB is unwilling to discuss insurance pricing of a fragile Apple product. Why am I not surprised?

AAPL down $4.20 today on revelation that the “S” on iPhone 4S stands for “shatters easily”.

Posted: 17 October 2011 08:44 PM #10

At what point were you discussing insurance pricing before your 11:51 post? From your first post it does not appear that was your intent. Nor by the title of the post.

Admit it, Brad. AppleCare + was not what you were looking at. You posted the video to take a swipe at Apple. That is abundantly clear by the wording

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 17 October 2011 11:39 PM #11

Intruder, sometimes, well every time, that an author spins a good story, he dishes out pieces as he goes rather than putting everything out in the beginning. Of course that was on my mind. The video was quite explanative about the reasons for changes in Apple policy on exchanges and AppleCare.

• Posted: 10 November 2011 04:03 PM #12

I got my new iphone 4S last week and love it.

• Posted: 16 January 2012 12:26 PM #13

the samsung also fires the SD card out at the slightest brush of the mechanism. at least the iPhone cant do the same!