Thundering herd: iPhone edition

Posted: 21 June 2012 02:39 PM #91

Mercel - 21 June 2012 04:49 PM

... based on the MSFT Phone demo, they actually have a phone I would choose ahead of Android.

The problem is that Android fans probably don’t see anything compelling enough to get them to switch to a Windows Phone. Microsoft needs Nokia to immediately turn out a Galaxy S3 competitor once WP 8 is released.

It doesn’t really do Microsoft any good for iPhone users to say that they’d choose a WP phone over an Android phone…hypothetically. It doesn’t matter if they are 2nd or 3rd choice when only 1st choice gets the sale.

• Posted: 21 June 2012 03:17 PM #92

Drew Bear - 21 June 2012 05:39 PM
    Mercel - 21 June 2012 04:49 PM

... based on the MSFT Phone demo, they actually have a phone I would choose ahead of Android.

The problem is that Android fans probably don’t see anything compelling enough to get them to switch to a Windows Phone. Microsoft needs Nokia to immediately turn out a Galaxy S3 competitor once WP 8 is released.

It doesn’t really do Microsoft any good for iPhone users to say that they’d choose a WP phone over an Android phone…hypothetically. It doesn’t matter if they are 2nd or 3rd choice when only 1st choice gets the sale.

The “Anything but Apple” contingent will choose between MSFT and Google.  The former may become the preferred option.

• Posted: 22 June 2012 05:57 PM #93

I suspect there is a better thread to post this in, but I don’t know which one it is, so here goes:

Cricket: Customers ‘Waiting at the Door’ For Prepaid iPhone

Cricket, a subsidiary of Leap Wireless, began selling the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S to prepaid customers in its stores and through select dealers Friday morning with its $55 per month, unlimited talk, text, and data plan. Cricket customers were eager to get their hands on the prepaid iPhone, the company said.
    “So far, customer activity has been brisk with customers waiting at the door as the stores opened,” a Cricket spokesman told PCMag in an email.

First, it’s clear that Apple is expanding their carrier base as rapidly as possible.

Second, if the iPhone is successful in pre-paid - and I really mean “when” the iPhone is successful in pre-paid - a whole lot of bad analysis is going to get tossed in the trash can.

Not that I expect to hear any apologies from the naysayers.

Exciting times. Exciting times. I’d really like to start hearing word that Apple is rapidly expanding their carrier base in Europe and around the world. I think it’s happening but at far too slow a pace to suit me (because I don’t have to actually do any of the work).

Posted: 30 June 2012 12:01 AM #94

News update:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/25/us-samsung-q2-earnings-idUSBRE85O01D20120625

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 30 June 2012 01:49 AM #95

Samsung Barred From U.S. Nexus Phone Sales in Apple Suit

Is this the new Samsung Nexus phone that Google gave out at the Google I/O?

If true, then this could be BIG!

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-06-29/apple-wins-order-blocking-u-dot-s-dot-sales-of-samsung-s-nexus

Posted: 30 June 2012 02:13 AM #96

New Samsung Nexus phone at Google I/O 2012?

I’m pretty sure it’s the Google Nexus from 2011.  And if it’s being given away to attendees…and the bond to be put up is “only” about $100M…

[ Edited: 30 June 2012 02:16 AM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 30 June 2012 03:47 AM #97

It’s the Galaxy Nexus released in November 2011. None of the Google branded Nexus phones have sold well.

• Posted: 30 June 2012 04:34 AM #98

A couple of points about Android/Samsung. Quite apart from the lower margins, there are specific problems with execution that mean the thundering herd is its own worst enemy.

Even now, only a small proportion of Android activations are the current release(4.0); most new Android phones are 2.3. So only a small proportion of new device buyers are attached to the living Google ecosystem. Every new iPhone buyer is on the latest IOS.

Because Samsung is a much more traditional operation, with multiple shipping smartphone models, a killer phone like the galaxy s3 probably does more harm to sales of other Samsung models than it does to competitors. The benefit of the new model is wasted in business terms, because it’s supply-limited. The other models become harder to sell. Hence the consumer electronics / Tim Cook mantra: inventory is evil.

Posted: 13 July 2012 02:27 PM #99

Apple doubles its nearest Android competitor in market share

Not a single Android-based smartphone even comes close to Apple?s market share. In fact, Apple doubles its nearest competitor, Samsung, which has 17 percent market share.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/07/13/apple-doubles-its-nearest-android-competitor-in-market-share/

• Posted: 13 July 2012 02:49 PM #100

Nice graphic Drew Bear!

• Posted: 13 July 2012 03:42 PM #101

Drew Bear - 13 July 2012 05:27 PM

Not a single Android-based smartphone even comes close to Apple?s market share. In fact, Apple doubles its nearest competitor, Samsung, which has 17 percent market share.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/07/13/apple-doubles-its-nearest-android-competitor-in-market-share/

Do you know what that chart would look like if it were measuring profits instead of sales?

It would be all yellow…

Posted: 13 July 2012 04:10 PM #102

FalKirk - 13 July 2012 06:42 PM
    Drew Bear - 13 July 2012 05:27 PM

Do you know what that chart would look like if it were measuring profits instead of sales?

It would be all yellow…

Just over a year ago, for all phones, not just smartphones, it looked something like this (from asymco):

Over time, profit share through Q1 2012 (again, for all phones, not just smartphones) looks like this (from asymco):

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

• Posted: 13 July 2012 04:12 PM #103

If Apple were represented by the color red instead of yellow, it would be a bloodbath…

Posted: 13 July 2012 05:15 PM #104

But but but Apple has a smaller subscriber base than Android in the US! rolleyes  Funny, Apple leads in market share in the US last quarter and they use installed base for the graphic.

Well, we’ll see what the US carriers have to say about market share starting next week.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 13 July 2012 05:30 PM #105

FalKirk - 13 July 2012 06:42 PM

It would be all yellow…

Horace used pale blue, but maybe he can do a 2012 version with Apple in yellow.

http://www.asymco.com/2011/07/29/apple-captured-two-thirds-of-available-mobile-phone-profits-in-q2/

Edit: Sorry for the duplicate graph. I didn’t see II+‘s post.

[ Edited: 13 July 2012 05:33 PM by Drew Bear ]