Apple September Quarter Results

Posted: 18 October 2011 05:50 PM #31

JDSoCal - 18 October 2011 08:47 PM

You know analysts are blowing this news off when CNBC has to put Bat Guano and some TA moron to poo-poo the stock. Everyone else still loves Apple.

And I reiterate, delayed iPhone refresh killed the quarter. Hopefully that loss of sales will be carried forward to Q1.

I agree. 

However 17 million iPHones is impressive.  63% international sales also is a good sign for a slowing US economy.

Steady as she goes.  I will by buying more in the coming weeks.

My worst nightmare did occur.  We may not see 426 in middle of Jan.  So just sit back and relax for the next 3 months.  This is playing out like last year except we got the earnings move before the numbers.

• Posted: 18 October 2011 05:50 PM #32

So much for the vaunted independent analyst earning calls.

Posted: 18 October 2011 05:50 PM #33

Make no mistake - that iPhone number is HORRIBLE.

Based on that number, apple smartphone marketshare TANKED in the Calendar 3rd Quarter. The smartphone market has had huge growth year-over-year - and apple had tiny growth comparatively.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 18 October 2011 05:50 PM #34

Yes, clearly the delayed iPhone launch resulted in sales which were LOWER than the previous two sequential quarters.

[ Edited: 18 October 2011 05:53 PM by smitha96 ]      
  • Posted: 18 October 2011 05:51 PM #35

Anyone have a link to the earnings call?

Signature

Johnny

Posted: 18 October 2011 05:52 PM #36

johnnyvn - 18 October 2011 08:51 PM

Anyone have a link to the earnings call?

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq411

Posted: 18 October 2011 05:53 PM #37

Don’t panic.  That’s the key.

New ttm EPS is 27.69.  It is all but guaranteed to be 30.56 based on Oppenheimer’s yes still crazy conservative guidance as of Jan 12.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 18 October 2011 05:53 PM #38

conference call live:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq411/

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

• Posted: 18 October 2011 05:53 PM #39

don’t understand your take, aapl did not report “amazing earnings.”

Posted: 18 October 2011 05:53 PM #40

smitha96 - 18 October 2011 08:50 PM

Yes, clearly the delayed iPhone launch resulted in sales which were LOWER than the previous two sequential quarters.

Let this be a lesson to all those who kept saying, “it was never announced so it’s not delayed.”

That has proven to be absolute horseshit. Everyone was waiting for the new phone.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 18 October 2011 05:54 PM #41

iOSWeekly - 18 October 2011 08:50 PM

Based on that number, apple smartphone marketshare TANKED in the Calendar 3rd Quarter. The smartphone market has had huge growth year-over-year - and apple had tiny growth comparatively.

TC is quoted as saying pervasive rumors about upcoming iPhone release kept folks from buying.

That is what happens when you are so secretive.  It comes back to bite you anyway you cut it.

I think we will make it up with this quarter.  iPhone 5 next year will be even bigger then iPhone 4S so I am not too worried. 

Buy and hold.

• Posted: 18 October 2011 05:55 PM #42

I’d like to add that I’m still pleased with the iPad sales.  Just two quarters ago, Apple was reporting selling only 4 million.  Now we are at 11 million, an almost 200% increase over two sequential quarters ago, and that’s with the holiday quarter still ahead of us.

I expect iPod numbers to be low but not a 26% decrease…

<edited for corrections>

Posted: 18 October 2011 05:58 PM #43

omacvi - 18 October 2011 08:54 PM
    iOSWeekly - 18 October 2011 08:50 PM

TC is quoted as saying pervasive rumors about upcoming iPhone release kept folks from buying.

That is what happens when you are so secretive.  It comes back to bite you anyway you cut it.

I think we will make it up with this quarter.  iPhone 5 next year will be even bigger then iPhone 4S so I am not too worried. 

Buy and hold.

I agree - buy and hold.

however the numbers are going to look abysmal in tomorrows headlines. If apple continues (rightly or wrongly) with a single iPhone release every year, then any minor delay like this years that pushes a launch over to the next quarter is going to lead to more massive misses like this.

on the plus side, iPads & Macs did awesomely!

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

• Posted: 18 October 2011 05:58 PM #44

Guidance ok at $37 billion and $0.30 EPS

• Posted: 18 October 2011 05:59 PM #45

MacDailyNews: “First AAPL EPS miss since 2004. “

That’s pretty amazing (the miss), given everything Apple’s had going for it over these last few years.  Hard to believe that would be happening this quarter…

Signature

Johnny