AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 18 October 2011 07:46 PM

Wednesday morning: Now what?

[ Edited: 21 October 2011 07:29 PM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Posted: 18 October 2011 07:55 PM #1

@ $395 with the new trailing one year EPS at $27.66,  P/E is down to 14.3 .

I expect we will be back above $400 sometime this week.

Posted: 18 October 2011 07:59 PM #2

Hamourabi - 18 October 2011 10:55 PM

@ $395 with the new trailing one year EPS at $27.66,  P/E is down to 14.3 .

I expect we will be back above $400 sometime this week.

at $395, we’re higher than we were last Monday.

• Posted: 18 October 2011 08:38 PM #3

“Apple is so confident that next quarter is going to be a blow-out quarter that twice on their earnings call today, Apple CEO Tim Cook and CFO Peter Oppenheimer went out of their way to predict that Apple would see record iPhone and iPad sales next quarter. That?s something Apple never does. Their guidance is always very general (and again, low) and they stick to talking about things at a high level. Not today. This is two Apple executives going out on a limb to predict records for their two key products next quarter.

I think it?s pretty obvious that they would only do that if they felt like they weren?t going out on a limb. That is to say, Cook and Oppenheimer must be extremely confident that Apple is going to sell well north of 20 million iPhones (the previous record, set last quarter) and 11 million iPads (the record set this quarter). And a lot more.

So while Wall Street is panicking right now ? Apple?s stock is currently down over 27 points (6.5 percent) in after-hours trading after the miss ? Apple seems more confident than ever.

Sure, a part of it may be that Apple had to throw investors some bone in a period of relative volatility (a rare miss and just weeks after co-founder and CEO Steve Jobs passed away). But no matter which way you look at it, it?s one hell of a bone.”

http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/18/apples-insanely-great-q1-2012/

Posted: 18 October 2011 08:53 PM #4

I believe that once the panic subsides, the stock moves slowly back to the 410-420 area, where it may sit for a while.

I don’t think we sell off to 395 tomorrow morning. Let the afterhours and pre-market crowd move positions they feel they have to move, but the guidance was very good, unusually specific and textured. There will be an immediate recognition in the Wall Street houses that the line has been baited and set for next quarter. Looking ahead, we see an $11 to $11.50 quarter now guaranteed by Cook and (horrors) Oppenheimer. Likely closer to $12.

I presume Apple has learned from this quarter. They don’t get to just set calendars anymore at their choosing, not communicate and expect extrinsic factors (like discretionary buyers) not to notice, draw conclusions and act accordingly. They got stung and hopefully they open up more and do a better job with Investor Relations and Customer Relations.

The tone of the conference call may be a step in that very direction.

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 18 October 2011 09:01 PM #5

DawnTreader - 18 October 2011 10:46 PM

Wednesday morning: Now what?

My craptasic banks were up enough to book some profits. I think I’ll go to the lake for the rest of the week and play with stuff that goes bang.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 18 October 2011 09:02 PM #6

Red Shirted Ensign - 18 October 2011 11:53 PM

I believe that once the panic subsides, the stock moves slowly back to the 410-420 area, where it may sit for a while.

I don’t think we sell off to 395 tomorrow morning. Let the afterhours and pre-market crowd move positions they feel they have to move, but the guidance was very good, unusually specific and textured. There will be an immediate recognition in the Wall Street houses that the line has been baited and set for next quarter. Looking ahead, we see an $11 to $11.50 quarter now guaranteed by Cook and (horrors) Oppenheimer. Likely closer to $12.

I presume Apple has learned from this quarter. They don’t get to just set calendars anymore at their choosing, not communicate and expect extrinsic factors (like discretionary buyers) not to notice, draw conclusions and act accordingly. They got stung and hopefully they open up more and do a better job with Investor Relations and Customer Relations.

The tone of the conference call may be a step in that very direction.

But but but then again if you pre-announce introduction of new products your sales will tank!

Posted: 18 October 2011 09:36 PM #7

Like Oppenheimer kinda did for the fiscal Q3 CC?  raspberry

I also think Apple learned a little bit from this quarter’s results.  AAPL should be fine, all else in the market cooperating more or less.  It just might take a little while.

Need to listen to CC.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 18 October 2011 09:57 PM #8

Unique - 19 October 2011 12:53 AM

Oct 18, 2011

Apple earnings call transcript

http://www.morningstar.com/earnings/31594217-apple-incaapl-q4-2011-earnings-call-transcript.aspx

So what happened today was pretty much, beat company’s guidance (given), failed to beat street’s expectations, guided higher than ever and the China bullishness. Also, the confidence that Tim Cook has for the Christmas quarter. 

Sorry to see so many sad faces, cheer up. Some may be wounded, but we’ll survive!

Looks like no one wants to hear technical analysis tonight..Good night..

I want to hear it!

Signature

Posted: 18 October 2011 09:59 PM #9

Red Shirted Ensign - 19 October 2011 12:57 AM

I want to hear it!

Are you a human?  Or a cow?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 18 October 2011 10:01 PM #10

Unique - 19 October 2011 12:53 AM

Oct 18, 2011

Apple earnings call transcript

http://www.morningstar.com/earnings/31594217-apple-incaapl-q4-2011-earnings-call-transcript.aspx

So what happened today was pretty much, beat company’s guidance (given), failed to beat street’s expectations, guided higher than ever and the China bullishness. Also, the confidence that Tim Cook has for the Christmas quarter. 

Sorry to see so many sad faces, cheer up. Some may be wounded, but we’ll survive!

Looks like no one wants to hear technical analysis tonight..Good night..

I want to hear it!

TA analysis: firing squad at dawn.

In retrospect, you made a great series of trades these past few days, Ensign.

Posted: 18 October 2011 10:04 PM #11

Thanks.  Stayed with a plan, kept emotion to a minimum

Now, when and how to put those proceeds to work?

:-?

Signature

Posted: 18 October 2011 10:06 PM #12

Mace - 19 October 2011 12:59 AM

I want to hear it!

Are you a human?  Or a cow?

I can hear a piano if well played.  I saw Unique’s posted support and resistance. More, please.

Signature

• Posted: 18 October 2011 10:08 PM #13

Red Shirted Ensign - 19 October 2011 01:04 AM

Thanks.  Stayed with a plan, kept emotion to a minimum

Now, when and how to put those proceeds to work?

:-?

Near the open for me, for part of the money

• Posted: 18 October 2011 10:29 PM #14

Wow - what is up with you guys?  It is still the best company on earth…how is this SSSOOOO negative? Or negative at ALL!? Geez! I hold and buy more on the dip.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/19/technology/apple-disappoints-analysts-despite-54-rise-in-profit.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 18 October 2011 10:30 PM #15

Any holding common or LEAPS, I woudl think should just hold - as 3 months from now after Jan earnings they will be well north of yesterdays close.

Those holding Calls expiring within the next few months, good luck to you all.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics