Ice Cream Sandwich

• Posted: 21 October 2011 09:03 PM #16

I don’t know or care about this “open” or “closed” crap.  I follow this board and still don’t know the significance of 2.3 vs Ice Cream Sandwich and I expect most non-teckie consumers coming into Best Buy, or Verizon to get a phone don’t either.

My guess is that for most people, there are four things that really matter.  One thing is prestige and an iPhone has more than Android.  A big % of people don’t give a hoot about this.

Second is specific apps.  Some people have one or two things they want on their phone or maybe a dozen at most.  If they can get Angry Birds, for example, that meets the threshold and most don’t care if one phone has 5,000 apps and another has 100,000,000 apps. 

A few people will care about does it have something “special”?  SIRI is something special, but at least half of all buyers won’t know or care untill two years from now when it’s way beyond beta. Just as most people didn’t realize for two or three years that they needed to surf the net on their phone.

Finally, what’s the price?  The newly available 3GS for free certainly meets this threshold.

My guess is that most people late to the dance (all those non-early adapters that are now buying a smart phone) want to make a call and occasionally surf the net.  They don’t care about apps or ecosystems or photos.  Apple will do great, but so will Android.  Two years from now, maybe everyone will “need” SIRI.  Maybe Android won’t have an alternatve.  Maybe then it could be a deal breaker hurting Droid. 

We read that 60% of all smart phones are Droids, but 80% (or some big %) of internet searching is on the IOS platform.  I suspect it’s because 60% of users just want to make calls and once a week use the net for something.  Untill the free 3GS they all bought droids.

Posted: 21 October 2011 09:29 PM #17

ncgo4 - 22 October 2011 12:03 AM

I don’t know or care about this “open” or “closed” crap.  I follow this board and still don’t know the significance of 2.3 vs Ice Cream Sandwich and I expect most non-teckie consumers coming into Best Buy, or Verizon to get a phone don’t either.

My guess is that for most people, there are four things that really matter.  One thing is prestige and an iPhone has more than Android.  A big % of people don’t give a hoot about this.

Second is specific apps.  Some people have one or two things they want on their phone or maybe a dozen at most.  If they can get Angry Birds, for example, that meets the threshold and most don’t care if one phone has 5,000 apps and another has 100,000,000 apps. 

A few people will care about does it have something “special”?  SIRI is something special, but at least half of all buyers won’t know or care untill two years from now when it’s way beyond beta. Just as most people didn’t realize for two or three years that they needed to surf the net on their phone.

Finally, what’s the price?  The newly available 3GS for free certainly meets this threshold.

My guess is that most people late to the dance (all those non-early adapters that are now buying a smart phone) want to make a call and occasionally surf the net.  They don’t care about apps or ecosystems or photos.  Apple will do great, but so will Android.  Two years from now, maybe everyone will “need” SIRI.  Maybe Android won’t have an alternatve.  Maybe then it could be a deal breaker hurting Droid. 

We read that 60% of all smart phones are Droids, but 80% (or some big %) of internet searching is on the IOS platform.  I suspect it’s because 60% of users just want to make calls and once a week use the net for something.  Untill the free 3GS they all bought droids.

Not to get into the whole statistic game, but if we look beyond the hype, the android share gets distorted when compared to the iPhone because everything that runs Android is considered a smartphone when in reality in many markets they are just new feature phones.  if you are not buying/using a data plan or wifi connection then they are just another phone which happens to use Android instead of Brew.  Apple doesn’t compete in this portion of the market.  How is Apple able to capture 56% of AT&T smartphone customers against all these great Android devices, it’s called customer loyalty.  Apple continues to build to maintain their existing user base and it expands as they add countries/carriers.  Apple is already capturing 1/3 of Verizon customers, we can expect that most of these Droid contracts are not going to switch and pay an early termination fee so Apple wasn’t in a rush to bring anLTE phone to market with poor battery life.