Fiscal Quarter 1 Guidance

• Posted: 19 October 2011 09:41 AM

We expect revenues to be about $37 billion compared to $26.7 billion in the December quarter last year. We expect gross margin to be about 40%, reflecting approximately $60 million related to stock-based compensation expense. We expect OpEx to be about $3.25 billion, including about $350 million related to stock-based compensation. We expect OI&E to be about $85 million, and we expect the tax rate to be about 24.25%. We are targeting EPS of about $9.30.

From the call transcript

All I can say is that for Apple guidance - Wow.

Emphasis is mine

Posted: 19 October 2011 11:30 AM #1

The OpEx is higher than I expected by $ 200 million.  On the other hand, I hadn’t been adjusting for the seasonal increase.

OI&E is comfortably above the $ 50 million that was common in the past.

Tax rates, both in actual and guidance, have been stable for a while now.

• Posted: 19 October 2011 03:25 PM #2

Tetrachloride - 19 October 2011 02:30 PM

The OpEx is higher than I expected by $ 200 million.  On the other hand, I hadn’t been adjusting for the seasonal increase.

OI&E is comfortably above the $ 50 million that was common in the past.

Tax rates, both in actual and guidance, have been stable for a while now.

I came away from Apple’s guidance feeling they weren’t sandbagging as much as they have in the past.  If that’s true, forecasting Q1 results is going to be very difficult.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 19 October 2011 03:39 PM #3

I don’t see any changes.  I think this is within the range of expectations. 

For Apple to steer analysts wrong at this juncture (reducing the sandbagging while encouraging analysts to reach higher) would be a major mistake.

Before anything else, I need to piece together a fiscal Q1 model to see what makes sense.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 19 October 2011 03:46 PM #4

Some Q4 observations:

With OpEx at about 9.4%, net income ratio down to 23.4%, and GM of about 40.2%, it’s very clear that iPhone has a tremendous impact on Apple’s profitability (not like there’s anything wrong with its profitability now anyway).  Interestingly, because not much changed between Q3 > Q4 product-wise, we may have a much better opportunity to assess the profitability of iPhone itself.

IMHO, if 3 million less iPhones,with GM likely further dampened by 1.8 or so more million iPads, can affect profitability metrics that much (I’ll have to look into Apple’s “high” 24.7% tax rate later), the mind boggles at what +10M or more iPhones will do (albeit tempered with +2M or more iPads).

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 19 October 2011 05:59 PM #5

Mav - 19 October 2011 06:46 PM

Some Q4 observations:

(I’ll have to look into Apple’s “high” 24.7% tax rate later)

I’m perplexed by that as well.  Tax rate should have gone down as international sales went up.  Looking forward to your findings.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 25 October 2011 06:50 PM #6

I’m extremely surprised that nobody has linked the large projected numbers with the rumors about China mobile getting the iPhone this quarter.

Posted: 25 October 2011 06:53 PM #7

That’s because there’s nothing to suggest that Apple is making a TD-SCDMA 3G version of the iPhone 4S.  If it does, 35 M units would be a production-limited number.  Also, we wouldn’t be talking a “mere” $37B in guidance.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.