Apple Fuel Cell Research

Posted: 20 October 2011 10:45 AM

Another interesting Patent app from Apple for Hydrogen Fuel Cell

If we remember back to Jan, Apple filed a patent App using Liquid Metal as a collector plate

Today we have a report from AppleInsider with two additional applications

Posted: 20 October 2011 11:40 AM #1

Why Apple needs to develop fuel cell?  Apple’s next big thing?  You’re expecting Apple product to be better than Bloom Box?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 20 October 2011 12:23 PM #2

Mace - 20 October 2011 02:40 PM

Why Apple needs to develop fuel cell?  Apple’s next big thing?  You’re expecting Apple product to be better than Bloom Box?

Bloom Box requires a constant supply of carbon base fuel like NG.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 20 October 2011 01:49 PM #3

I think the idea would be more like this samsung demonstration back in 2008.  The advances in Lithium batteries continues at a slow pace, but the allure of a rechargeable power source like a fuel cell with 40 times the energy density keeps people going in search of the holy grail of portable power.

?When the handset is turned on, metal and water in the phone react to produce hydrogen gas, The gas is then supplied to the fuel cell where it reacts with oxygen in the air to generate power? explained Oh Yong-soo, vice president of Samsung Electro-Mechanics? research center. ?

• Posted: 20 October 2011 03:21 PM #4

This could be a problem with the EPA. grin

“For a waste product, the ions recombine with a negatively charged atom, such as oxygen, at the cathode. Any waste from a fuel cell escapes as carbon dioxide and/or water.”

I actually thought that the fuel cells we looked at produced small amounts of NO2. I guess it depends on the material used? Will using liquidmetal reduce or eliminate?