Amazon earnings: selling a tablet at $50 less than cost is…

• Posted: 25 October 2011 07:56 PM

not going to bode well for Jan earnings release.  Everyone they sell could be the death of a thousand ( or a couple of million) knives.  Profit this qtr down: get this, 73%  for a year ago.  A current P/E of 100 and PEG of 3.8 is a high price to pay for a company that has made a strategic decision to compete in the tablet market by sending each customer $50 with the purchase of a tablet.  I knew the tablet decision would hurt AMZN but way underestimated by how much.

• Posted: 25 October 2011 08:01 PM #1

Do you have a link that documents the $50 number?

Posted: 25 October 2011 08:04 PM #2

We don’t know, though you are certainly justified in suspecting, that the Kindle Fire is a loss leader based on the $199 price.

AMZN is no longer a WS darling.  Scrutiny will increase.  Creates risky, but fun, opportunities for some of us traders.

Mercel?  Care to join us? LOL

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 25 October 2011 08:36 PM #3

Lstream - 25 October 2011 11:01 PM

Second from last paragraph
    http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news/2011/10/25/amazon-profit-drops-73-low-kindle.html?ana=yfcpc

Frank

• Posted: 25 October 2011 08:48 PM #4

Lstream - 25 October 2011 11:01 PM

Here is another:  http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393835,00.asp#fbid=jvaN6iIKtLZ

Other estimates claim they loose 10%.  Obviously even selling at cost would equal 0 profit and that will drag on all positive margins.  The more they sell the more it hurts so to speak.  Without going on a rant GOOGi is doing exactly the same thing with Andriod but have the massive profits of their Adsense search/advertising product to subside the Android team hence the 76% of revenue from advertising and 4% for everything else.

• Posted: 25 October 2011 09:19 PM #5

So does anyone want to support or rebut the idea that money moving out of NFLX and/or AMZN will move to AAPL?  Thoughts?

Frank

• Posted: 25 October 2011 10:16 PM #6

fas550 - 26 October 2011 12:19 AM

So does anyone want to support or rebut the idea that money moving out of NFLX and/or AMZN will move to AAPL?  Thoughts?

Frank

Well I’m historically a long shareholder in AAPL, buying and selling, but essentially long.  I’m still long AAPL, but I was pissed off at Amazon’s P/E of 100+.  After I saw NetFlix get chopped I decided to short Amazon right before market close today….lucky me.

But the question is now - when to cover the Amazon short.

• Posted: 25 October 2011 10:48 PM #7

HD - 26 October 2011 01:16 AM
    fas550 - 26 October 2011 12:19 AM

Frank

Well I’m historically a long shareholder in AAPL, buying and selling, but essentially long.  I’m still long AAPL, but I was pissed off at Amazon’s P/E of 100+.  After I saw NetFlix get chopped I decided to short Amazon right before market close today….lucky me.

But the question is now - when to cover the Amazon short.

My .02: I think the markets iabout to correct and a stock with a 100PE, lower margins and lower guidance has a ways to fall.  No where near as bad as NFLX (given the measure RH had to go to to cover his off book obligations) but another $20 would not be surprising
    Frank

Posted: 25 October 2011 11:42 PM #8

I may be looking at another bear put spread (because I don’t know any better) on AMZN.  Probably farther out than a month or two.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 26 October 2011 05:47 AM #9

i bought some 2014 puts (strike 180) last Friday…planning to keep them another couple of months….
    I really do not understand how they can only drop 10% with such a miss and a guidance that looks like it has been done by a 5 year old…

even after the AH drop it is still one of the most overvalued companies out there…

Signature

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today.

• Posted: 26 October 2011 09:00 AM #10

N.L. - 26 October 2011 08:47 AM

i bought some 2014 puts (strike 180) last Friday…planning to keep them another couple of months….
    I really do not understand how they can only drop 10% with such a miss and a guidance that looks like it has been done by a 5 year old…

even after the AH drop it is still one of the most overvalued companies out there…

With a rich PE OF 20, it should be 40$ stock. Its a retail store after all.
    Is the conviction out here that they can grow that quickly? I could never understand this one.

• Posted: 26 October 2011 09:05 AM #11

N.L. - 26 October 2011 08:47 AM

Sorry what I meant was another $20 during regular trading (over time) at least IN ADDITION TO the $20+ in AH (I had just looked at the AH numbers when I wrote the post).  Yes I would not be surprised to see a $40 drop some time in this qtr. 

Frank

• Posted: 26 October 2011 11:05 AM #12

less than 10% down… i just don’t get it….:-(

imagine that Apple came out with results and guidance like this….

Signature

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today.

Posted: 27 October 2011 01:07 AM #13

Blodgett’s Amazon shill piece is absolutely disgusting. This JA is the biggest F’ing shill/crook going:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/dear-america-time-big-thank-amazon-141036276.html;_ylt=AqNX._dJZUO09SRR5xe0FMS7YWsA;_ylu=X3oDMTFjNzM2aXUzBHBvcwM0BHNlYwNGUERhaWx5VGlja2VyQmxvZwRzbGsDaXRzdGltZXRvc2F5

Posted: 27 October 2011 01:26 PM #14

I’ve held back as long as I can. Somebody’s got to say it.

Why would it be a surprise that Amazon lost money when they had a FIRE SALE?

[there I feel better now]

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

Posted: 27 October 2011 03:21 PM #15

“According to analysts”. First and foremost, even if the analysts are correct, there is such a thing as a “cost curve” that should trend down for a product like this when enough are produced.

The most interesting thing about K-Fire in my view is the Prime trial accompanying it. Converted trials are an $80 annuity with a loyalty lock-in.

All that said, AMZN with a 100+ P/E is way pricey. K-Fire is a bold move into high margin digital product, and maybe they grow their business quicker than the stock price appreciates. I’d be more comfortable with a P/E around 50, because they face a near certain sales tax risk to their core physical distribution business within a year.