Nokia’s “NanoPhone?”

Posted: 26 October 2011 11:34 AM

Contrast and compare….

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 26 October 2011 02:22 PM #1

One color, contours & perhaps materials* are similar, but size and function are so different that I’m not sure there’s any significance in the similarity.

I think Nokia did a great job with the design. The question is if people will gravitate to WP 7.5 in greater numbers than they did with WP 7. This phone will not arrive in the U.S. until early 2012, so it’s mostly a non-story for the rest of this year.

Can anyone explain why some of these companies continue to introduce their products in Europe & Asia before the U.S.? I understand they have partnerships there, but why not release them in the U.S. at the same time?

*Correction: the Lumina is made from polycarbonate. I think the iPod nano was made from aluminum.

[ Edited: 26 October 2011 03:50 PM by Drew Bear ]      

Posted: 26 October 2011 03:59 PM #2

adamthompson3232 - 26 October 2011 06:41 PM
    Drew Bear - 26 October 2011 05:22 PM

Can anyone explain why some of these companies continue to introduce their products in Europe & Asia before the U.S.? I understand they have partnerships there, but why not release them in the U.S. at the same time?

Maybe they hedge by limiting early production which they focus on their best markets first? Then if the phone fails they don’t have a ton of inventory to eat before they move on to their next phone in a month or so?

But can Microsoft and Nokia really afford to hedge right now? They should be throwing everything they’ve got at this while they have any chance of remaining relevant. Microsoft should have bankrolled Nokia so they could release this across all U.S. carriers at $99 (or lower) with contract. Microsoft has always been willing to lose money at first (Xbox, Bing) in order to get into a market. Why not do it again?

Then there’s Samsung. The Galaxy S line was easily the single best-selling Android phone since it came out early 2010. Why wait 4-5 months before releasing the S2 in the U.S.? There was no doubt the demand existed. Instead, they waited until weeks before the iPhone 4S showed up AND they introduced the Galaxy Nexus?