Folder Date PRoblems

Posted: 26 October 2011 02:26 PM

This is something I’ve noticed for a while but in the last couple of months it’s become a huge frustration.

(FWIW: I’m on a 2008 MacBook with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 4Gb RAM 2Ghz, OpenOffice 3.3.0)

OK, I’m looking for a job so on my desktop I have a folder called Job Search. In this I have a sub-folder for each company and position I have applied to. When I need to apply for a new job I use an existing application that would fit, be it a Sysadmin position, an IT Tech position, a Manager position, etc. The resumes and cover letters are different for each job title.

Say I want to apply for a sysadmin position with “Charlie Company”. I look back and there’s a folder called “Acme Sysadmin” I duplicate this folder and use the documents in there as a start for the new application.

Problem 1. Say “Acme Sysadmin” has a creation date of September 1, 2011, when I duplicate the folder the new folder “Acme Sysadmin copy” will have a creation date of September 1, 2011, the same as the original. Even if I rename the folder “Charlie Sysadmin” it does not update the creation date to today. This makes it very hard to tell what’s the most current versions of my applications.

Problem 2 Suppose the folder “Beta Manager” has a modification date of October 10, 2011. If I open a document in the folder and close it again the modification date changes to today. I don’t change anything, I just want to look at the document and then close it. Nothing has been modified, nothing has been saved yet the modification date will change to today.

Between these two problems it’s gotten bloody difficult to keep my documents in order. Is there any way to make duplicated folders have a creation date of when they are duplicated or when they are renamed? Is there any way to make documents I look at but not change keep the date they were last actually modified?

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 27 October 2011 11:28 AM #1

Problem 1:

If you don’t mind using the terminal, the easiest way would be to do:

In the finder, highlight Acme Sysadmin and copy.

In the Terminal, type:

cp -r <paste> <paste><backspace>2

where <paste> is a paste. Paste twice (it will add a space in between), then add a 2 after the second paste. You will have to erase the space that the paste puts in the path. It should look something like:

cp -r /Users/geoduck/Desktop/Job\ Search/Acme\ Sysadmin /Users/geoduck/Desktop/Job\ Search/Acme\ Sysadmin2

(make sure it looks like “Acme\ Sysadmin2” and not “Acme\ Sysadmin 2” (no space before the 2))

and hit return. Back in the finder, change the name of the new folder from Acme Sysadmin2 to Charlie Sysadmin.

If you’re wondering what all that punctuation soup is, / separates directories and \ escapes spaces. If you want a space in the directory name, you need to have “\ ” instead of just ” “. Terminal puts them in automatically when you paste.

If you want to stay in the Finder, you can create “Charlie Sysadmin” as a new folder, then go into Acme Sysadmin, hold down the option key and drag the files into Charlie. You can also go into Acme, select all the files, and Copy, then go back up, create Charlie Sysadmin, go in there and paste.

Problem 2:

I don’t use Open Office, but my hunch is that when you open a file, OO is creating a temp file in the current directory. Check the Tools>Preferences>OOo>Paths dialog to see what it uses (I got that from this forum post). If it uses the current directory, then that may be the problem.

Also, you could do Get Info on your old folders and lock them. If you aren’t creating new files in there, that may not be a problem. I don’t know what that would do to OO if it depends on the folder for it’s temp files, though (especially if you wanted to modify them).

Posted: 31 October 2011 02:45 PM #2

That would work but it only works for one folder at a time. I was more looking for a way to get the system to date the folders “correctly”. I’ve started just adding the date when I rename the folder. The one in this example would become Charlie Sysadmin Oct31.

You may be right about it being an OpenOffice thing. I know that it does create a temp file on my desktop any time I open a file. One Strike against OpenOffice then (vs several hundred for MSOffice).

Thanks for the suggestion though. I really should work with the Terminal more. Maybe this’ll nudge me in that direction.

Signature

Posted: 31 October 2011 03:07 PM #3

In that case, I would recommend giving them sort-by-name friendly names, like:

11-10-31 Charlie Sysadmin

I’ve been using the terminal since before Finder was a glimmer in Steve’s eye. It’s great.

Posted: 31 October 2011 03:08 PM #4

mlvezie - 31 October 2011 06:07 PM

11-10-31 Charlie Sysadmin

Good idea. That would work better

Signature