Automatic location / situation-based settings tweaker

Posted: 27 October 2011 11:48 AM

I have an early 2011 13” Mac Book Pro running Lion (upgraded). Normally, it sits closed on my desk with an external monitor and bluetooth keyboard/trackpad. But with the passing of another laptop, it’s pulling double-duty, spending it’s evenings on my lap in the living room. Routine is something like:

Unplug everything from laptop (power, external monitor, USB (external camera, gaming mouse), speaker) and take to living room.

Find that my Magic trackpad is still trying to connect to it, so turn off bluetooth.

At end of evening, take it back to office and plug everything back in. Have to open it up, unlock and turn bluetooth back on because I forgot to turn it on when I was done in the living room.

What I would like is some app that runs in the background and says (configurable, of course), “Oh. You’re plugged into an external monitor. I’ll turn bluetooth on.”

It would also be nice if I could have it change my location (or maybe turn on firewall, etc) if I connect to a different wifi hotspot.

Does anyone know of an app that’ll do something like this?

• Posted: 01 December 2011 11:25 AM #1

I am not aware of anything like this, but if you figure anything out I would love to know about it. I could really use something like this as well. Thanks.