Apple’s Unrelenting Mac Attack On The PC Market

• Posted: 02 November 2011 02:25 PM #16

Drew Bear - 02 November 2011 04:47 PM
    DawnTreader - 01 November 2011 01:58 PM

The Mac’s strong performance will be due in part to new Mac owners drawn to the platform by customer satisfaction with iOS-based devices.

Back to the Mac. Reverse halo effect. What comes around, goes around. Virtuous cycle.

Drew,
    Isn’t this still the original halo effect rather than a reverse halo?  It was the iPod and iOS devices that gave the original halo effect to the Mac.

Alan

Posted: 02 November 2011 02:32 PM #17

Hannibal - 02 November 2011 05:25 PM
    Drew Bear - 02 November 2011 04:47 PM
    DawnTreader - 01 November 2011 01:58 PM

The Mac’s strong performance will be due in part to new Mac owners drawn to the platform by customer satisfaction with iOS-based devices.

Back to the Mac. Reverse halo effect. What comes around, goes around. Virtuous cycle.

Drew,
    Isn’t this still the original halo effect rather than a reverse halo?  It was the iPod and iOS devices that gave the original halo effect to the Mac.

Alan

Thanks for the correction, Alan. Brain freeze on my part.

• Posted: 02 November 2011 03:54 PM #18

Drew Bear - 02 November 2011 05:32 PM

Thanks for the correction, Alan. Brain freeze on my part.

Nice to see that I’m not the only one.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 04 November 2011 10:36 AM #19

Interesting article on PC Growth in the emerging market

Considering that Brazil is just surpassing the UK in GDP and Brazil is 3 times the population of the UK, then one can see several trends. First, income is rising to the point PCs are affordable. Second there is much more demand coming on stream the next few years from younger countries with rising salaries.

For the past year, Intel has re-iterated on every conference call and analyst meeting that they conservatively saw an 11% growth rate for the PC market over the next 4 years.

If we remember back to last qtr’s CC Tim Cook said

We’re also placing additional focus on some other areas that have shown great promise over this fiscal year such as Brazil. Brazil was up 118% year-over-year and went over the $900 million mark. Russia is also beginning to look more and more promising. As I’ve mentioned on the last call, the Middle East we believe has significant opportunities. So there’s several of these markets that historically Apple has not been strong and that the iPhone has really opened up and introduced Apple to a whole set of customers that didn’t get excited about looking at other products that we have. And I think certainly, the iPad will be doing the same.

• Posted: 05 November 2011 12:38 AM #20

cyberpunk - 03 November 2011 12:45 AM

Until Apple starts shipping out Gaming Rigs and starts to give game programmers and developers friendlier coding, Microsoft Windows will still have a virtual monopoly on all Gaming PCs.

The fact that Apple always wants to “standardize” their products makes it even harder for them to ship out a Gaming Rig. But they can do it, just like Sony Playstation 3 or any standard console. They just need to really work on it.

The growth in the gaming market is moving away from PCs, moving beyond consoles and moving quickly to handheld devices. Apple’s in the sweet spot.

• Posted: 05 November 2011 12:41 AM #21

pats - 04 November 2011 01:36 PM

If we remember back to last qtr’s CC Tim Cook said

We’re also placing additional focus on some other areas that have shown great promise over this fiscal year such as Brazil. Brazil was up 118% year-over-year and went over the $900 million mark. Russia is also beginning to look more and more promising. As I’ve mentioned on the last call, the Middle East we believe has significant opportunities. So there’s several of these markets that historically Apple has not been strong and that the iPhone has really opened up and introduced Apple to a whole set of customers that didn’t get excited about looking at other products that we have. And I think certainly, the iPad will be doing the same.

Mac sales growth is positively impacted by the growth in the number of retail stores and the iPad has become a magnet for store traffic. The iPhone is opening new markets. I see Mac sales as a gauge of the depth of Apple market penetration in a particular region. I expect Apple retail store growth in developing markets and previously underserved regions.

Posted: 05 November 2011 05:06 AM #22

DawnTreader - 05 November 2011 03:38 AM

The growth in the gaming market is moving away from PCs, moving beyond consoles and moving quickly to handheld devices. Apple’s in the sweet spot.

There is an emerging trend towards browser-based games.  These type of games can play on any devices (Macs, iPads, iPhone, iPod touches, may be AppleTV in the future).

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 05 November 2011 06:31 PM #23

Mace - 05 November 2011 08:06 AM
    DawnTreader - 05 November 2011 03:38 AM

There is an emerging trend towards browser-based games.  These type of games can play on any devices (Macs, iPads, iPhone, iPod touches, may be AppleTV in the future).

The vast majority of PCs sold today can not support high-end computer games. This has become a very small, niche market of global PC sales. The iMac is an excellent PC for modern, resource intensive game and only the most demanding gamers building their own machines demand more than what the iMac delivers.

The gaming dollars are moving quickly to handheld devices and Apple is providing a superb distribution system for developers moving into that market.

• Posted: 06 November 2011 08:19 AM #24

The pc replacement cycle is much slower than in phones or tablets which is why Mac market share growth has been so slow and steady. The halo effect is a slow process as more developers begin to support MacOS. Personally I’ve never owned a Mac because the selection of video games is limited.

• Posted: 06 November 2011 12:26 PM #25

AndrewLing - 06 November 2011 12:19 PM

The pc replacement cycle is much slower than in phones or tablets which is why Mac market share growth has been so slow and steady. The halo effect is a slow process as more developers begin to support MacOS. Personally I’ve never owned a Mac because the selection of video games is limited.

Andrew:

If your motivation for buying a PC is to play games, you are better off with a Windows product. For all of the advantages of owning a Mac, there’s no reason for Apple to make gaming a priority. There’s a global market for consumers who want a real computer that’s virus and malware free and can handle everything from content creation to business and personal productivity. The PC toy market is small and not worth Apple’s investment.

Personally, I would invest in a gaming console (PS 3 or Xbox) if I wanted to spend time playing games. They are less expensive than a PC, are designed specifically for gaming and for use on HD TVs and the selection of titles is more than ample for most gaming enthusiasts.

Posted: 06 November 2011 02:35 PM #26

Crossover Games has been an acceptable product on the whole for the one PC game I play.  For the price compared to a separate windows machine or a console ?  It is worthwhile by far.

• Posted: 06 November 2011 03:31 PM #27

Tetrachloride - 06 November 2011 06:35 PM

Crossover Games has been an acceptable product on the whole for the one PC game I play.  For the price compared to a separate windows machine or a console ?  It is worthwhile by far.

I just looked at the PC system requirements for EA’s Battlefield 3. Only a fraction of the PCs on the market will meet the requirements. On consoles for which the game is released, it isn’t an issue.

Economically, consoles are a better value than an investment in a gaming PC. The PC gaming market is too small a market for Apple to address with the migration to handheld gaming in which Apple is already a leader.

• Posted: 06 November 2011 09:25 PM #28

Dawn treader I’m kind of a gaming geek even though I’m 33.  I have every console and would prefer to use my high end desktop for gaming. Unfortunately I travel a lot so most of the time my huge gaming laptop has to suffice.  I play high stakes poker all around the world but the games aren’t easy to find so the rest of the it’s all about video games.