AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 11 November 2011 10:02 PM #481

Red Shirted Ensign - 12 November 2011 12:26 AM
    lovemyipad - 12 November 2011 12:15 AM

I miss Mace.  And Red. :(

Thanks, Lovey.

The past few weeks have been incredibly busy in my work world. I’m still trying to monitor the goings on at AFB, but will likely be off the grid for a while longer. This darn World Economic Crisis really demands a lot of time and energy.  :wink:

Was preparing for the meeting with Estate planning lawyer.  It is necessary to do estate planning in California because the probate process is long and expensive.  Also, divorce rate is high and law suit is common.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 11 November 2011 10:30 PM #482

wheeles - 12 November 2011 01:44 AM

Seeing how we’re compiling a list: all non-commodities futures especially index futures; trading outside of regular hours; all analyst commentary that is not backed up by verifiable evidence and named sources; television programmes that are solely there to pump and dump stocks which go under the heading of “entertainment”; unfounded rumors reported as news.

Agreed.  Analyst commentary is a joke.  They’re glib to the point of reckless.

• Posted: 11 November 2011 10:30 PM #483

Phoebear611 - 11 November 2011 10:31 PM

Well I’m glad the market is closed ... we are currently having iCloud outages…geez!

http://www.cultofmac.com/129461/apple-and-users-reporting-icloud-outages-are-you-affected/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

By the way, Dan Nathan said (on CNBC) something I mentioned to my colleague earlier today…every time you turn around someone seems to be coming up with a problem or a rumor.  It seems like “someone” is trying to talk this stock down.  I put nothing past some of these hedge funds who need a return to save their jobs because they have no performance to date.

This is certainly nothing new. Par for the course with this stock.
    As to it’s current iteration; now we know what the last week of all the 9-mil volume days were about.

• Posted: 11 November 2011 10:33 PM #484

Mercel - 11 November 2011 11:51 PM
    Lstream - 11 November 2011 10:00 PM
    SuperApple - 11 November 2011 09:52 PM

Everybody needs to read this for a technician’s point of view. Peter Brandt is a very well respected technician.

please dont shoot the messenger

http://peterlbrandt.com/short-apple-computer-a-fabulous-rewardrisk-trade/

I don’t shoot people who believe in the modern day equivalent of chants and witchcraft.  That would be cruel.

I’m frustrated by a market that runs on rumors and hides from facts. Now we hear that Apple’s “technicals” suggest a further price decline?  Why?  Oh, it’s the “technicals.”  Can I scream now?

TA has created a shadow stock market, where people can agree about charts and arcane stats wholly divorced from the fundamentals of a company, which too frequently leads to irrational price levels. Has it now become mandatory people know TA to invest in the stock market?  I should think not if you believe the stock market should reward companies that grow and are profitable. I suppose if everyone followed TA, then somebody would come up with something else that rigs it.  I don’t fault those who practice it so much as I lament that it exists at all. 

This country would be far better off if the ENERGY expended to outwit the market was redeployed into actually MAKING SOMETHING REAL that people want to buy. I imagine Steve Jobs thought very little of those who make a living out of gaming the stock market.

I would like nothing better than CNBC to just go away, along with the analysts who contribute virtually NOTHING to our economy.

My suggestions for fixing things include:

1.  Restore the uptick rule.
    2.  Enforce naked short selling.
    3.  Eliminate high frequency trading.
    4.  Give the SEC a larger budget to punish the sort of behavior admitted to by Jim Cramer (see earlier videos).
    5.  Increase the transaction fees, both for stocks and options.

Did I leave anything out?

No.
    You are my new hero.

Posted: 11 November 2011 10:45 PM #485

SuperApple - 11 November 2011 09:52 PM

Everybody needs to read this for a technician’s point of view. Peter Brandt is a very well respected technician.

please dont shoot the messenger

http://peterlbrandt.com/short-apple-computer-a-fabulous-rewardrisk-trade/

I have a few issues with those that choose to use what I would call “traditional” TA on stocks that are as highly manipulated and infested with algorithmic trading programmes as AAPL is. Firstly computers follow moving averages, deviations from means, regression etc. They do not look for island tops, double tops, head and shoulders patterns etc., so using those things in a modern trading environment is going to have very mixed results.

Secondly, AAPL has been under attack from all sides for no good reason ahead of one of the busiest buying periods. Anyone choosing to short it here really needs to consider whether they have missed the boat on this wave down and would be better off waiting for the next one.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore