Apple names Art Levinson Chairman

Posted: 15 November 2011 10:04 PM

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/11/15/4057033/apple-names-arthur-levinson-chairman.html

Seems Steve didn’t want to pass on the same power he had to his successor.
    Thoughts on the choice?

Signature

The more I learn the higher I go,
        The higher I go the more I see;
    The more I see the less I know,
        The less I know the more I’m free.

Posted: 15 November 2011 10:19 PM #1

calebcar - 16 November 2011 02:04 AM

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/11/15/4057033/apple-names-arthur-levinson-chairman.html

Thoughts on the choice?

Levinson is a biotech guy (Genentech CEO), but has been on the Apple board the longest, and was co-chairman for a bit.  I think he has the hang of a tech company, at least enough to be effective in running the BOD.

Bob Iger from Disney was also appointed to the BOD (I guess taking SJ’s spot).

Posted: 16 November 2011 01:10 AM #2

calebcar - 16 November 2011 02:04 AM

Thoughts on the choice?

the chairman position didn’t even exist until a few months ago when steve resigned as CEO.

Posted: 16 November 2011 03:06 AM #3

kloot - 16 November 2011 05:10 AM

the chairman position didn’t even exist until a few months ago when steve resigned as CEO.

Sure it did.  The power of the “office” was always there.  Steve had it.

• Posted: 17 November 2011 02:47 PM #4

Arthur Levinson told Steve Jobs’ biographer Walter Isaacson,

There is an arrogance, at Apple, and it needs to be tempered now that it’s the most valuable company in the world. We need to make the transition to being a big company and dealing with the hubris issue.

I am getting nervous.

• Posted: 17 November 2011 05:54 PM #5

Zeke - 17 November 2011 06:47 PM

There is an arrogance, at Apple, and it needs to be tempered now that it’s the most valuable company in the world. We need to make the transition to being a big company and dealing with the hubris issue.

I am getting nervous.

+1

Posted: 17 November 2011 05:59 PM #6

deasys - 17 November 2011 09:54 PM

I am getting nervous.

+1

+2.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 17 November 2011 07:38 PM #7

I don’t see arrogance from Apple.

Only confidence. 

When Forstall leaves…when Jony Ive leaves, or stops making awesome designs…when the A6 is just a speed bump…when iOS includes Flash support…then, then I might start to worry.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 17 November 2011 10:58 PM #8

I’m not too worried. This is not the board that booted Jobs in the eighties. And I stand by these comments from another thread in the wake of SJ’s final medical leave announcement:

Apple II+ - 21 January 2011 05:03 PM
    richardlo - 21 January 2011 04:34 PM

I think the fear on the street is based in peoples memory of days when Apple was without Jobs, when there was Sculley, Spindler, and then Amelio. Sculley was hand picked by Jobs and all of these chiefs failed to understand Apple and how to run it profitably as a result took Apple through its darkest days.
    I am sure everyone wants Apple to continue to wow investors with quarter after quarter of stellar results, but up until this point no one has seen the tremendous success of Apple from anyone other than Jobs in command.

I have that fear as well. But I think this time will be different, because Jobs has earned the respect to direct the company’s future after he’s gone. In the 80’s he lost a battle for control of Apple, but he discovered that the soul of Apple survived when he returned to an Apple where people “bleed in six colors”. That’s Apple’s immortal soul, if you ask me. It was there at the start with Woz and Jobs and the Apple II, and it has always been there even if the board of directors didn’t always get it. I’ve always had faith in Apple, and now I believe its leaders are worthy of the company and its soul.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 18 November 2011 02:17 AM #9

Mace - 17 November 2011 09:59 PM

I am getting nervous.

+1

+2.

I could not disagree more.  Levinson from what I have read is a strong and very capable board member. Bob Iger is also one who recognized the value of Pixar.  Cambell is also the longest member on the board. I like him the most because he understands what Apple stands for.  Between these three and TC we have an amazing tour de force.

Most boards simply rubber stamp the executive staff recommendations simply because they don’t deal with the day to day details.  They are used to bounce off big ideas.  The product road map was set for many years.  Nothing will change in that regard.

I have more respect for how the board interacted with SJ.  I think they made him a better CEO over time and they will with TC.

Posted: 18 November 2011 12:11 PM #10

Listen to Greg

http://9to5mac.com/2011/11/18/apples-four-keys-to-success-making-complex-things-simple/#more-110543

Sounds like you are listening to SJ.  This type of thinking is engrained into Apple’s managment and I think most board members.

With Phill, Jonny, and Scott, I think the products coming out of Apple will blow the board away in the coming months.

• Posted: 18 November 2011 02:09 PM #11

omacvi - 18 November 2011 06:17 AM
    Mace - 17 November 2011 09:59 PM

I am getting nervous.

+1

+2.

I could not disagree more.  Levinson from what I have read is a strong and very capable board member. Bob Iger is also one who recognized the value of Pixar.  Cambell is also the longest member on the board. I like him the most because he understands what Apple stands for.  Between these three and TC we have an amazing tour de force.

Most boards simply rubber stamp the executive staff recommendations simply because they don’t deal with the day to day details.  They are used to bounce off big ideas.  The product road map was set for many years.  Nothing will change in that regard.

I have more respect for how the board interacted with SJ.  I think they made him a better CEO over time and they will with TC.

I’ve always liked Levinson but I am getting nervous because that comment by Levinson makes me think that he doesn’t get it. Apple is not arrogant; it has standards.

Posted: 18 November 2011 03:00 PM #12

I could not disagree more.

Disagree with what?  There is an arrogance within Apple?

I agree with Arthur Levinson’s view that “now that it’s the most valuable company in the world. We need to make the transition to being a big company and dealing with the hubris issue.” Some behaviors are considered ok for startup but deem arrogant or insensitive to community needs when the business becomes big.  Apple needs to modify its behavior but why called it arrogance?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 18 November 2011 04:45 PM #13

Mace - 18 November 2011 07:00 PM

I agree with Arthur Levinson’s view that “now that it’s the most valuable company in the world. We need to make the transition to being a big company and dealing with the hubris issue.” Some behaviors are considered ok for startup but deem arrogant or insensitive to community needs when the business becomes big.  Apple needs to modify its behavior but why called it arrogance?

I think we are getting to caught up in the meaning of words.  I think SJ’s ability to communicate his distain for certain companies, journalists, CEOs, or products, was less then idle in a very PR world.  Levinson’s comments we related to the way SJ was reacting following the antenna issue.  I thought SJ did an awesome job of responding to it and I thank Levinson for prodding him to do so in the way he did.

Levinson was close to SJ and advised him constantly.  As chair of the board he is in a very good position to guide the board according to TC’s wishes and with Jonny’s taste for perfection.  I am very happy with the board.  Not sure what Gore brings to the table other then political insight.

Posted: 18 November 2011 04:52 PM #14

omacvi - 18 November 2011 08:45 PM
    Mace - 18 November 2011 07:00 PM

I think we are getting to caught up in the meaning of words.  I think SJ’s ability to communicate his distain for certain companies, journalists, CEOs, or products, was less then idle in a very PR world.  Levinson’s comments we related to the way SJ was reacting following the antenna issue.  I thought SJ did an awesome job of responding to it and I thank Levinson for prodding him to do so in the way he did.

Levinson was close to SJ and advised him constantly.  As chair of the board he is in a very good position to guide the board according to TC’s wishes and with Jonny’s taste for perfection.  I am very happy with the board.  Not sure what Gore brings to the table other then political insight.

Nobody thought: “you’re holding it wrong” was awesome.

cheers
        JohnG