Would-Be iPhone Customers Still Facing Weeks-Long Waits

Posted: 17 November 2011 09:15 PM

Thought this deserved its own thread, considering what FUD has done to AAPL lately…

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 17 November 2011 10:49 PM #1

JDSoCal - 18 November 2011 01:15 AM

Thought this deserved its own thread, considering what FUD has done to AAPL lately…

Did my periodic walkabout of a large Seattle mall with Verizon, AT&T, best buy, Sprint and best buy mobile all on site. No iPhone 4s in stock with the sole exception of some verizon 16 gig blacks that had come in that day but were expected to be gone by end of day. AT&T can’t keep the 3GS in stock. It sells out the day more come in.  Of all the stores the Sprint staff seemed most upbeat about the whole experience, even with no phones that day. Maybe because they can sense it is turning around their negative churn?

All stores want more iPhone 4s ASAP.

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 17 November 2011 10:55 PM #2

I still think Apple has a big problem with this.  They can’t make enough because all the Android phones take up capacity in the factories of Foxconn.  This is also the reason they have not moved into China or added hundreds of more carriers across the globe.

They need to invest in more factories in the next 10 years.

TC said in the 3rd quarter Con. Call that they could have sold more iPhones if they could have build more.

Posted: 17 November 2011 11:20 PM #3

omacvi - 18 November 2011 02:55 AM

I still think Apple has a big problem with this.  They can’t make enough because all the Android phones take up capacity in the factories of Foxconn.  This is also the reason they have not moved into China or added hundreds of more carriers across the globe.

TC said in the 3rd quarter Con. Call that they could have sold more iPhones if they could have build more.

What Android phones are made by Foxconn?  Apple creates their own issues when they do the big bang transition of products.  You can’t ramp a production line from zero to millions overnite.  I would suspect that the contracts lead the charge as far as adding carriers.  Apple adds capacity to support world-wide expansion, but some folks are not happy with hyper growth and always want more.  I don’t remember TC saying anything about selling more last qtr in fact he talked about how sales fell off with the announcement of the 4S.  IMO Apple is unwilling to discount the iPhone just to get a contract in China and the negotiations cover lots of issues so they take time.

Posted: 17 November 2011 11:50 PM #4

pats - 18 November 2011 03:20 AM
    omacvi - 18 November 2011 02:55 AM

What Android phones are made by Foxconn?  Apple creates their own issues when they do the big bang transition of products.  You can’t ramp a production line from zero to millions overnite.  I would suspect that the contracts lead the charge as far as adding carriers.  Apple adds capacity to support world-wide expansion, but some folks are not happy with hyper growth and always want more.  I don’t remember TC saying anything about selling more last qtr in fact he talked about how sales fell off with the announcement of the 4S.  IMO Apple is unwilling to discount the iPhone just to get a contract in China and the negotiations cover lots of issues so they take time.

I was wrong about Foxconn and Android.  Have not found exactly where they are made.  But I think Apple competes for parts with Android.

TC in 2nd quarter conf. call said this; “And hitting 18.6 million units was something much larger than we thought we could do this quarter, and we’re happy to have gotten it out to 3 more large carriers.”

That to me says they have manufacturing issues when it comes to capacity.  You are right about being their own worst enemies with big product transitions.  My estimate is that they cant make more then about 2 million a week.

Posted: 18 November 2011 02:07 AM #5

Apple has a problem.

It simply cannot create enough product to fill demand. This is a highly contentious position to be in. I would sell at the drop of any and all hat’s.

Are we serious here?

I relish this information, as it just confirms what we all know. As good as Tim is in JIT manufacturing, even he can miss the bus, and it will be in the millions.

Millions in lost sales, because we do not have enough productive sites building out units!

An investigation will ensue.

In the end the folks looking into the dire nature of all things AAPL will find 11 bucks.

per share in Q1

I pity the poor fool holding AAPL long!

I am a fool…

Signature

“the power to crush the other kids”

http://www.differentdistrict.com/movies/play.php?id=280_0_28_0

• Posted: 18 November 2011 08:13 AM #6

This has been the case with every iPhone/iPad ever launched and with xmas approaching i woukdnt expect it to be avilable withiut a wait until next year. but for comparison sake does anyone recall how long after the iPhone 4 launch before you could walk into a store and buy one without preordering?

• Posted: 18 November 2011 09:02 AM #7

Also I ordered my unlocked4s on 11/11 with an eta of end of the month.  So a three week eta even though it has always said 1-2.  They could soon change it to 2-3 or maybe it will be delivered earlier.  I considered buying one in Hong Kong for $300 more on the grey market.  I assume this is considered a good price and stores will sell them for even more.

[ Edited: 19 November 2011 05:28 AM by AndrewLing ]