Christmas is for Children

• Posted: 20 November 2011 09:41 AM

Lets hope the parents don’t disappoint. 

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2011/11/18/will-apple-rule-the-holidays.aspx

• Posted: 20 November 2011 01:18 PM #1

I’m surprised that parents would buy iPads for young kids but they probably buy it as an ebook reader whereas the kids view it as a video game platform.  Something for everyone I guess

Posted: 20 November 2011 01:21 PM #2

The young’uns take to iPad like fish to water. It’s amazing to watch how naturally toddlers interact with the device.

Posted: 20 November 2011 01:23 PM #3

AndrewLing - 20 November 2011 05:18 PM

I’m surprised that parents would buy iPads for young kids but they probably buy it as an ebook reader whereas the kids view it as a video game platform.  Something for everyone I guess

I thought the same until I recently found out they are being used as an educational tool in place of paper and pencil in classes as young as the 1st grade.

• Posted: 20 November 2011 01:59 PM #4

During the June quarter conference call with analysts, Tim Cook expressed surprise at the quick adoption of the iPad in the K-12 market. The iPad may be the digital device solution of choice in the K-12 market for the next several years.

The array of educational apps available for the iPad is already quite impressive.

• Posted: 20 November 2011 02:38 PM #5

The Kindle for $199 will tempt the parents but the kids won’t be fooled.  Here’s an in-depth review of it.  2.5 stars. 

It looks junky to me.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/11/20/amazons_new_kindle_fire_tablet_an_in_depth_review.html&page=4#rating

• Posted: 20 November 2011 06:20 PM #6

rlo - 20 November 2011 05:23 PM

I’m surprised that parents would buy iPads for young kids but they probably buy it as an ebook reader whereas the kids view it as a video game platform.

I thought the same until I recently found out they are being used as an educational tool in place of paper and pencil in classes as young as the 1st grade.

I’ll bet you’ll find that iPads are being used to augment, not replace, tradional education methods/materials.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 20 November 2011 09:11 PM #7

I have two kids that are four and five and the parents in our inner circles from school and sports are all getting iPads this holiday season if they already don’t have one.  Most parents are realizing, from discussions we’ve had, that touch interface IS the future and they don’t want their kids to be behind the curve.

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

• Posted: 20 November 2011 09:44 PM #8

Xmas is for kids and AAPL stockholders.

Posted: 21 November 2011 12:40 PM #9

DawnTreader - 20 November 2011 05:59 PM

During the June quarter conference call with analysts, Tim Cook expressed surprise at the quick adoption of the iPad in the K-12 market. The iPad may be the digital device solution of choice in the K-12 market for the next several years.

The array of educational apps available for the iPad is already quite impressive.

One of my school districts has asked voters to pass a referendum in order to purchase students iPads thereby bypassing the representative process in favor of the largest mob. Sadly, even though vacation home owners pay more property tax than just about any of the registered voters in the district, we cannot vote no because we’re not registered voters. We will, however, shoulder the lions share of the cost.

We’re used to getting gamed like this by our local district but this nonsense is irking me.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.