Kindle Fire vs. iPad—Initial Impressions

Posted: 28 November 2011 11:10 AM #16

willrob - 28 November 2011 02:34 PM

A review I read on Macintouch.com made the point that the location of the on/off switch along the bottom edge of the Fire causes it to shut off if one rests it on ones chest or stomach while reading. This also creates a need for a unique portrait book holder with a gap where the switch is. My question (which the review didn’t make clear): can the Fire be turned upsidedown like an iPad, with the screen reorienting?

Not built in to the OS although some apps support this.  That’s what I remember reading.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 28 November 2011 01:08 PM #17

A great article on copycats.

http://mattgemmell.com/2011/11/27/copycats/

• Posted: 28 November 2011 01:33 PM #18

ChasMac77 - 26 November 2011 02:56 PM

Read some customer reviews - not good

On top of that, some people believe that Amazon is deleting negative reviews.

Wow, I clicked your link and like the first 50+ reviews (sorted by “Most Useful” were 1 Star.  This can’t be good for Amazon.

It just goes to show that to compete with a product that has set such a high standard like the iPad you can’t go too cheap!!

• Posted: 28 November 2011 01:41 PM #19

Mace - 28 November 2011 06:50 AM
    adamthompson3232 - 28 November 2011 06:18 AM

The kids have spoken - they all want iPads.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-28/apple-s-digital-pacifier-ipad-has-parents-emptying-their-wallets-tech.html?cmpid=yhoo

Unfortunately, parents think otherwise,

For Apple, the youth market presents opportunities and challenges. While the iPad is the top-selling tablet, many parents may opt for lower-cost models if they know they?re putting them in the hands of children. Amazon?s Kindle Fire is less than half the price of the iPad.
    When asked to choose between the $199 Kindle Fire and the $499 iPad, 51 percent of consumers opted for the Amazon product, according to a survey by Parks Associates. Smith said he is considering a Kindle Fire for his family?s second tablet.

My kids are fairly responsible but I’ve caught them many times “playing rough” with the iPad out of frustration over a game or just plain excitement over something.  Plus, at parties I’ve caught other kids just going nuts on the screen and whirling it around like crazy (when my kids have “loaned” it out to other kids).  Gen 1 iPad approaching 2 years of heavy use and abuse and it is still functioning perfectly (knock on wood).  Parents will learn that iPads are pretty sturdy and unless kids fling it across the room they are very durable.

Plus, the value of some of the educational games is incredible.  My kids know a ton about the US States by playing “Stack the States” and they don’t even realize how much they are learning.  They are now on Stack the Countries and loving it.  Tons of value with the iPad.

• Posted: 28 November 2011 02:08 PM #20

Mace - 28 November 2011 06:50 AM
    adamthompson3232 - 28 November 2011 06:18 AM

The kids have spoken - they all want iPads.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-28/apple-s-digital-pacifier-ipad-has-parents-emptying-their-wallets-tech.html?cmpid=yhoo

Unfortunately, parents think otherwise,

For Apple, the youth market presents opportunities and challenges. While the iPad is the top-selling tablet, many parents may opt for lower-cost models if they know they?re putting them in the hands of children. Amazon?s Kindle Fire is less than half the price of the iPad.
    When asked to choose between the $199 Kindle Fire and the $499 iPad, 51 percent of consumers opted for the Amazon product, according to a survey by Parks Associates. Smith said he is considering a Kindle Fire for his family?s second tablet.

It doesn’t really say that parents think otherwise.  The author injects his own opinion that they MAY opt for lower costs devices.  Asking consumers what they MAY buy yields strikingly bad impressions on occasion when later compared to what was actually bought.  I think this is how Gartner and the rest are so consistently wrong about future market share.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 28 November 2011 02:15 PM #21

RonMacGuy - 28 November 2011 05:33 PM

Wow, I clicked your link and like the first 50+ reviews (sorted by “Most Useful” were 1 Star.  This can’t be good for Amazon.

It just goes to show that to compete with a product that has set such a high standard like the iPad you can’t go too cheap!!

The link is selected to show only the 1 star reviews.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

• Posted: 28 November 2011 02:32 PM #22

macglenn - 28 November 2011 06:15 PM
    RonMacGuy - 28 November 2011 05:33 PM

The link is selected to show only the 1 star reviews.

Well, that explains it!!  LOL.  I thought it was odd that so many were 1 star reviews in a row!!

grin

Posted: 28 November 2011 04:56 PM #23

Mercel - 28 November 2011 05:08 PM

A great article on copycats.
    http://mattgemmell.com/2011/11/27/copycats/

Much appreciated, Mercel.

Signature

Know History; not just your Folklore! At least until I find time to rewrite the laws of physics.