AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 02 December 2011 09:32 AM #436

Nov. unemployment 8.6% 
    Nov. non farm jobs added 120k (vs. 100k in Oct.)

Posted: 02 December 2011 09:40 AM #437

Good news on the jobless rate.

I sold shares premarket (391.3) and have open buy orders ready for the open session.

cheers to the longs!
          JohnG

• Posted: 02 December 2011 09:49 AM #438

Jobs up 120,000 but prior 2 months revised up a bunch. We’ll soon be talking about the Obama Economic Miracle grin.

Posted: 02 December 2011 09:50 AM #439

Hey, I got a stab in the dark right with some RIMM puts the other day. Revising targets, missing estimates, charges related to Playbook surplus, oh my!

Posted: 02 December 2011 10:06 AM #440

lovemyipad - 02 December 2011 12:00 PM
    Prazan - 02 December 2011 02:21 AM
    Red Shirted Ensign - 02 December 2011 01:16 AM

Chas, I have given up on Kirk. The man’s priorities are all wrong. One track mind, and then he made all that money on Priceline while I end up doing voiceovers for Rent A Car companies “Yes you are, Business Pro”.

Back to Apple….Excellent daily chart today. I was pleased to see us work our way through R1 and R2. I was fearful of a late day selloff in anticipation of jobless numbers tomorrow morning and a pretty good two day run-up that could have been cashed out, but it held well.

We are seeing some analysts beginning to raise estimates (although 27 or 28 million Iphones still seems nicely conservative for me), and this should only continue as good retail news for Apple continues to come in. I would not be surprised to see some China news very soon.

Your posts are always so carefully thought out and well-expressed, not to mention civil, that I suggest you be promoted to Ensign 1st Class.

+1

Red, you are one classy gentleman. smile

Thank you, Lovey. My mother would smile hearing such generous compliments about me.

I begin to feel the wind under Apple’s wings here. TA, fundamentals, max pain and the spinning top theory seem to be aligning into a nice bullish December. Apple always feints and wobbles for a while, the zooms up fifty points and we all then say, “of course, of course. It was obvious”.

Such fun.

[ Edited: 02 December 2011 10:09 AM by Red Shirted Ensign ]

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 02 December 2011 10:28 AM #441

ChasMac77 - 02 December 2011 01:50 PM

Hey, I got a stab in the dark right with some RIMM puts the other day. Revising targets, missing estimates, charges related to Playbook surplus, oh my!

And just last night, Cramer came out and told his viewers that RIMM was no longer a SELL
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/45512635

With shares of Research In Motion down almost 70 percent in the last year and a recent upgrade of the stock, ?Mad Money? host Jim Cramer has finally taken his ?sell? rating off the beleaguered BlackBerry-maker.

Cramer changed his mind after reading the research from Bernstein, which upgraded RIM to ?market-perform? from ?underperform? on Tuesday.  He thinks the analyst, Pierre Ferragu, has been right every step of the way on RIM [RIMM 18.58     (—-)  ], from the time he initiated coverage in October of 2009 with a sell rating to his recent upgrade.

Ferragu doesn?t think the fundamentals have gotten any better, Cramer said, but at this point all the negatives have been baked into the stock price. Plus, RIM has become so cheap, the analyst thinks the downside has become minimal.

It is also possible an activist shareholder could push for a ?much needed? change in management. Or the company could be taken over by someone like HTC or Microsoft [MSFT 25.28     (—-)  ].

Bernstein doesn?t think a takeover is likely, Cramer said, but the possibility is enough to make shorting the stock way too risky at these levels.

?The Bernstein analyst is right: RIM did get cheaper as it went down,? he said. ?It has nearly $3 of cash per share on the balance sheet, a huge installed base of customers, and a lot of valuable intellectual property.?

Cramer’s bottom line: While RIM is not a buy right now, it is no longer a sell.

“I fear someone will rattle the cage and move it up, or that some company might be stupid enough to buy them,” he said.

Posted: 02 December 2011 10:35 AM #442

CdnPhoto - 02 December 2011 02:28 PM
    ChasMac77 - 02 December 2011 01:50 PM

And just last night, Cramer came out and told his viewers that RIMM was no longer a SELL
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/45512635

With shares of Research In Motion down almost 70 percent in the last year and a recent upgrade of the stock, ?Mad Money? host Jim Cramer has finally taken his ?sell? rating off the beleaguered BlackBerry-maker.

Cramer changed his mind after reading the research from Bernstein, which upgraded RIM to ?market-perform? from ?underperform? on Tuesday.  He thinks the analyst, Pierre Ferragu, has been right every step of the way on RIM [RIMM 18.58     (—-)  ], from the time he initiated coverage in October of 2009 with a sell rating to his recent upgrade.

Ferragu doesn?t think the fundamentals have gotten any better, Cramer said, but at this point all the negatives have been baked into the stock price. Plus, RIM has become so cheap, the analyst thinks the downside has become minimal.

It is also possible an activist shareholder could push for a ?much needed? change in management. Or the company could be taken over by someone like HTC or Microsoft [MSFT 25.28     (—-)  ].

Bernstein doesn?t think a takeover is likely, Cramer said, but the possibility is enough to make shorting the stock way too risky at these levels.

?The Bernstein analyst is right: RIM did get cheaper as it went down,? he said. ?It has nearly $3 of cash per share on the balance sheet, a huge installed base of customers, and a lot of valuable intellectual property.?

Cramer’s bottom line: While RIM is not a buy right now, it is no longer a sell.

“I fear someone will rattle the cage and move it up, or that some company might be stupid enough to buy them,” he said.

Yeah, wonder how the egg on his face tastes this morning! I thought the price action was a little suspect this past week. Maybe someone knew something ahead of time.

Posted: 02 December 2011 10:46 AM #443

ChasMac77 - 02 December 2011 02:35 PM

Yeah, wonder how the egg on his face tastes this morning! I thought the price action was a little suspect this past week. Maybe someone knew something ahead of time.

Yea, someone knew something… That Cramer was going to start pumping RIMM.

• Posted: 02 December 2011 11:01 AM #444

Come on AAPL…let’s see some blue sky.  You’re cleared for take off any time now…

• Posted: 02 December 2011 11:04 AM #445

Don’t you love how many CNBC fast money guys were ripping Apple and shorting when it was below 370.  They said the trend was broken and there was too much margin pressure/competition.  Even Joe T got out of Apple he said, and Cramer, himself, cooled on Apple saying you could no longer buy it on every dip.

Man, I love seeing them get burnt. 

Just once, I’d like to see the so-called experts take a step back and go back to basics (fundamentals).  Apple’s earnings grew at 83% in 2011, and yet its stock is cheaper than the S&P.  Or how about, if Apple conservatively earns $37 in 2012, and let’s just say the multiple stays the same - what will the stock price be?  Simple math!

Posted: 02 December 2011 11:08 AM #446

Mercel - 02 December 2011 03:01 PM

Come on AAPL…let’s see some blue sky.  You’re cleared for take off any time now…

We eased past the 50 day SMA now…..very nice.

RImm gettin crucified again today by the pundits. Their earnings on December 15 will be fascinating to watch.

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 02 December 2011 11:26 AM #447

gvsmitty19 - 02 December 2011 03:04 PM

Don’t you love how many CNBC fast money guys were ripping Apple and shorting when it was below 370.  They said the trend was broken and there was too much margin pressure/competition.  Even Joe T got out of Apple he said, and Cramer, himself, cooled on Apple saying you could no longer buy it on every dip.

Man, I love seeing them get burnt. 

Just once, I’d like to see the so-called experts take a step back and go back to basics (fundamentals).  Apple’s earnings grew at 83% in 2011, and yet its stock is cheaper than the S&P.  Or how about, if Apple conservatively earns $37 in 2012, and let’s just say the multiple stays the same - what will the stock price be?  Simple math!

Cramer IS a fundamentals guy, which makes his calls all the more perplexing.  He’s been co-opted by WS, fame and ego.

Posted: 02 December 2011 11:27 AM #448

Good Morning Boys and Girls

Another great green day.  What more can we say.  Now we wonder when we will hit 400.

• Posted: 02 December 2011 11:45 AM #449

I’m pissed.

Yesterday I missed getting the Weekly (#2) $385/$390 Call Spread by 4? (my bid $2.21).  They are now trading at $3.40.  :  (

Jumped UP a couple Strikes and bought Weekly (#2) $395/$400 Call Spreads at $1.84.  I could have bought them for less earlier today.  I waited for more confidence that AAPL is going to hold.  Volume is quite good for this time of day.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 02 December 2011 12:01 PM #450

Gregg Thurman - 02 December 2011 03:45 PM

I’m pissed.

Yesterday I missed getting the Weekly (#2) $385/$390 Call Spread by 4? (my bid $2.21).  They are now trading at $3.40.  :  (

Jumped UP a couple Strikes and bought Weekly (#2) $395/$400 Call Spreads at $1.84.  I could have bought them for less earlier today.  I waited for more confidence that AAPL is going to hold.  Volume is quite good for this time of day.

I’ll wait for the right price.  But many times I’m holding long term-and won’t bother waiting for a .05 to .10 cent change in price.

I’ve overpaid for options-but I hate missing out by a few cents.