Trouble on the Horizon: iCloud, Apple IDs and Comcast POP3!

• Posted: 28 November 2011 01:36 AM

Forget about Christmas! The clock is ticking! Jun 30th, 2012 will be here in less than 214 days! That’s all we have! 214 days to figure out this whole iCloud thing and to replace all the stuff we’ve been doing using MobileMe with other options! Man.. and.. I don’t know about anyone else, but MobileMe always worked for me. *sigh*

So.. I thought I’d do some reading and if I thought iWeb publishing going away was bad.. nothing chilled me more than to read that iCloud will cause Mail to no longer be able to fetch email from external POP3 email accounts. What?! And that’s what my primary email is, a Comcast POP3 email account! What is Comcast trying to do? Hang on and party like it’s 1999? POP3! They couldn’t do the right thing and go to IMAP like everyone else?! NO?

So.. here I am on the eve of transitioning over to iCloud (sometime in the next 214 days), right, and I am wondering: how bad is it that my primary Apple ID address is this Comcast POP3 email address? This Apple ID being the one that I have purchased all my iTunes music, apps, movies, TV shows, App store apps.. you get the drift.. with.  Oh and of course, I have a different Apple ID for MobileMe. You know.. because when I signed up for my dot Mac account all those centuries ago, that is how it HAD to be. So.. what do I do now?

Reading and reading and drinking a beer and then reading some more, I’ve come across literally dozens of articles about iCloud that include the same link to Apple’s support page dealing with Apple IDs and iCloud: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4895

The good news is Apple won’t hate my guts, or anyone else’s, for having two Apple ID accounts. They say it’s okay for one account to be used to make purchases in the iTunes store, the App store and to use with iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match while the other to be used to migrate from MobileMe to iCloud for everything else. It’s not the recommended thing, they say, in this support page, but it’s okay. Like, they didn’t already shoot my foot when I signed up for dot mac and had to create a new Apple ID because it had to have a mac.com email address, back when President Lincoln was in office! Gosh darn it! *sigh?*

Ha ha ha ?

Okay.. so here is my question: Should I change my primary Apple ID/ email address to something like my gmail IMAP address, before I move to iCloud? Would that be better than continuing to use the Comcast POP3 address and risk all sorts of foreseen and unforeseen difficulties?

It’s like, ridiculous that I can’t change it to a me.com address. No.. instead, I have to go out in the wild and find an unused free email account from the assimilating borg that is Google, no doubt! How weird is that?

Hope you can help me.

Thanks so much for your patience while I, obviously, have a lot of fun with all of this.

Hope you have a super day!

-Charlotte

Posted: 28 November 2011 10:09 AM #1

Woodland Potter - 28 November 2011 05:36 AM

Forget about Christmas! The clock is ticking! Jun 30th, 2012 will be here in less than 214 days! That’s all we have! 214 days to figure out this whole iCloud thing and to replace all the stuff we’ve been doing using MobileMe with other options! Man.. and.. I don’t know about anyone else, but MobileMe always worked for me. *sigh*

So.. I thought I’d do some reading and if I thought iWeb publishing going away was bad.. nothing chilled me more than to read that iCloud will cause Mail to no longer be able to fetch email from external POP3 email accounts. What?! And that’s what my primary email is, a Comcast POP3 email account! What is Comcast trying to do? Hang on and party like it’s 1999? POP3! They couldn’t do the right thing and go to IMAP like everyone else?! NO?

So.. here I am on the eve of transitioning over to iCloud (sometime in the next 214 days), right, and I am wondering: how bad is it that my primary Apple ID address is this Comcast POP3 email address? This Apple ID being the one that I have purchased all my iTunes music, apps, movies, TV shows, App store apps.. you get the drift.. with.  Oh and of course, I have a different Apple ID for MobileMe. You know.. because when I signed up for my dot Mac account all those centuries ago, that is how it HAD to be. So.. what do I do now?

Reading and reading and drinking a beer and then reading some more, I’ve come across literally dozens of articles about iCloud that include the same link to Apple’s support page dealing with Apple IDs and iCloud: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4895

The good news is Apple won’t hate my guts, or anyone else’s, for having two Apple ID accounts. They say it’s okay for one account to be used to make purchases in the iTunes store, the App store and to use with iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match while the other to be used to migrate from MobileMe to iCloud for everything else. It’s not the recommended thing, they say, in this support page, but it’s okay. Like, they didn’t already shoot my foot when I signed up for dot mac and had to create a new Apple ID because it had to have a mac.com email address, back when President Lincoln was in office! Gosh darn it! *sigh?*

Ha ha ha ?

Okay.. so here is my question: Should I change my primary Apple ID/ email address to something like my gmail IMAP address, before I move to iCloud? Would that be better than continuing to use the Comcast POP3 address and risk all sorts of foreseen and unforeseen difficulties?

It’s like, ridiculous that I can’t change it to a me.com address. No.. instead, I have to go out in the wild and find an unused free email account from the assimilating borg that is Google, no doubt! How weird is that?

Hope you can help me.

Thanks so much for your patience while I, obviously, have a lot of fun with all of this.

Hope you have a super day!

-Charlotte

You don’t have to give up your comcast account if you don’t wish too.  However, you will have to configure your email account (mail.app) tp suck down the “POP3” datum.  In effect, your Mail.app will aggregate all of your ‘inboxes’ in to one in box. 

You will be able to send ‘from’ any email you choose as you go along. 

I have a Gmail and an iCloud (migrated from MobileMe from way back).  Mail.app can support quite a few accounts.

Lastly, I still use iWeb and publish to a server that I manage.  I will miss that aspect of Moble Me a great deal. 

Good Luck!

• Posted: 29 November 2011 08:12 PM #2

Thanks, UpQuark, for your response and information.

I will not worry about it then. When the time comes, I’ll migrate to iCloud and see how all this shakes out.

I did add an alternate email address to my Apple ID account. It’s a gmail IMAP address, so if I see problems, perhaps all I have to do is make that one primary and all’s good.

If I understand you right, it should be okay with the Comcast POP address, as there are ways around iCloud Mail’s lack of support in fetching mail from external POP servers. Yes?

So.. concerning your friends: Do you hang with two DownQuarks, or.. do you hang with another UpQuark and one DownQuark?

Don’t mind me; just trying to figure out your attractiveness.

Cheers!

-Charlotte

• Posted: 30 December 2011 10:59 PM #3

After asking a friend of mine who knows quite a lot about Macs, he says it’s all good. Only Mail IN the cloud can’t fetch POP3 mail. Mail on the Mac has no problems fetching it.

So.. wonder why that distinction wasn’t made anywhere I researched? From Take Control to Apple Support.. hmm..

Well.. okay… So sorry to have bothered all of you with this.

...off to the iCloud.

Hope the New Year is a Happy one.