Kindle Fire Outsells iPad at Target

• Posted: 05 December 2011 02:36 PM #46

Interesting article from usability guy Jakob Neilsen. He talks both about the Fire as well as 7” tablets in general.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/kindle-fire-usability.html

I think it was clearly re-affirming the idea that 7” is a ‘tweener’. He even suggests that unless it generates enough funding to recognize it as another form factor worth specifically coding for, then it will die. In reality, actual sales number will be in between the raging success and total failure numbers he targets.

My guess is the numbers will be at the low end and makers of the 7” devices will introduce more models of the 10” size with time. They will see the 7” units as basically a price leader with mediocre user experience that has the job of getting the mass of price-centric consumers to jump onto that manufacturers platform. They will then hopefully get some lock-in effect and use this to migrate their audience up to a 10” tablet when it arrives on the market.

• Posted: 05 December 2011 04:35 PM #47

News Flash!  Willie Nelson outsells Cold Play at Walmart in Arkansas!  Next revelation?

Posted: 05 December 2011 05:27 PM #48

Zeke - 05 December 2011 08:35 PM

News Flash!  Willie Nelson outsells Cold Play at Walmart in Arkansas!  Next revelation?

You not making fun of Target, I thought everyone bought their consumer electronics from them.  Its sort of like Amazon saying the kindle fire is the best selling tablet on their site. Target isn’t the top seller for the iPhone.  Go figure!

• Posted: 05 December 2011 08:12 PM #49

Here’s the thing. Best Buy had a surprisingly large number of opened boxes for sale at the weekend while I was out and about.  These units were selling for 179.

It’s not a bad toy, but no iPad. Amazon’s cutting corners and ditching the microphone makes it a useless communication device but I am reading a book or two on it.

Enjoying the free App a day too. Never randomly filled a device before, quite a bit of fun. I also installed an ePub reader.

Signature

Posted: 09 December 2011 12:37 PM #50

I went to Target this week to check out the Fire and get recon on sales.

The clerk was very helpful and told me she has one and loves hers.

She did say they are selling more Fires then iPads.  However she pointed out that the Fire really hurt the other 7” tablets.

Here is the kicker.  The iPad is enclosed and you can’t touch it. So who ever decides to buy one must already know what they want.

The Fire on the other hand is out in the open to touch and play with.  However it is in demo mode and one can not test real world features on it.  In demo mode you can move quickly and smoothly between apps and other features.  But you can’t play a game or browse the web.  Those suckers will be in for a surprise in how slow it is once they open their Fires.

Posted: 09 December 2011 01:59 PM #51

ChicagoBob - 29 November 2011 12:57 AM
    kevinhernandez - 29 November 2011 12:45 AM

They had it on sale for $123

http://www.bgr.com/2011/11/28/kindle-fire-just-123-from-some-walmart-target-locations/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheBoyGeniusReport+(BGR+|+Boy+Genius+Report)

Wow, even I’d pick one up at $123 (if I ever shopped on Black Friday).  I still regret not picking up one of the HP tablets on fire sale just to stream video to my treadmill.

HP Reviving the $99 Touch Pad On December 11th

I might try to grab one, as there has been a Linux OS port created.

I don’t own an iPad and have other things to do with $500 ATM.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 09 December 2011 02:01 PM #52

Tech Report Podcast 101: Scott really hates the Kindle Fire

Pretty widely-read and respected geek site…

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 09 December 2011 02:20 PM #53

JDSoCal - 09 December 2011 06:01 PM

Tech Report Podcast 101: Scott really hates the Kindle Fire

Pretty widely-read and respected geek site…

Wow that’s a pretty bad review: tl;dr => Kindle Fire 1—skip it

Signature

Don’t anthropomorphize computers, they hate that.

Posted: 09 December 2011 02:50 PM #54

Here?s a good article for folks to read. Its about Amazon vs. Apple:
    Amazon?s Apple-Like Growth is Missing One Element: Rising Profits http://ycharts.com/analysis/story/amazons_applelike_growth_is_missing_one_element_rising_profits

Signature

Posted: 12 December 2011 09:42 AM #56

Interesting comment to the NYT article above:

One of the one-star reviews points out a serious security gap in Amazon’s shipping practices. They evidently ship the Kindle Fire in a box that indicates the contents and don’t require a signature on delivery. Plus the unit is pre-loaded to login as you, without requiring a password. So, if someone steals a unit, they are good-to-go in placing orders against your account.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 15 December 2011 03:04 PM #57

Where did Amazon mention the Kindle sales and was it just Fire or all Kindles?

Signature

• Posted: 15 December 2011 07:15 PM #58

macglenn - 12 December 2011 01:42 PM

Interesting comment to the NYT article above:

One of the one-star reviews points out a serious security gap in Amazon’s shipping practices. They evidently ship the Kindle Fire in a box that indicates the contents and don’t require a signature on delivery. Plus the unit is pre-loaded to login as you, without requiring a password. So, if someone steals a unit, they are good-to-go in placing orders against your account.

Not to mention what happens when it is laying around the house, office, or classroom automatically logged in as you, with your credit card information ready to go.  In the hands of a toddler it could be devastating.

Posted: 15 December 2011 10:09 PM #59

ChicagoBob - 15 December 2011 07:04 PM

Where did Amazon mention the Kindle sales and was it just Fire or all Kindles?

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/11/12/15/amazon_says_kindle_fire_has_sold_millions_but_wont_get_specific.html

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 20 December 2011 06:44 PM #60

Hilarious Kindle vs. iPad comparo, and you won’t likely find it on Amazon.com either…

http://www.marco.org/2011/12/19/amazon-kindle-vs-ipad