Kindle Fire Outsells iPad at Target

• Posted: 20 December 2011 06:55 PM #61

Marco is great and so is his product.  Not many people would have the cajones to tell it like it is, the way he does.

Posted: 20 December 2011 08:11 PM #62

I couldn’t think of a good place to post Marco’s comparison chart, so it’s great that you shoehorned it in this topic.  It’s much more honest than Amazon’s nebulous Kindle sales/shipments numbers.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 05 January 2012 11:41 PM #63

Barns & Noble may exist the Nook business.

http://news.investors.com/article/596818/201201051313/barnes-noble-may-sell-nook-tablet-business.htm

If they can’t make money on a product that is $50 more then the Kindle Fire, how can Amazon.

I did some math and if Amazon has a 2% profit and wants a $50 profit off the Fire, then each Fire owner must average $2500 in sales.

I don’t get their strategy.

Posted: 08 January 2012 01:28 AM #64

omacvi - 06 January 2012 03:41 AM

http://news.investors.com/article/596818/201201051313/barnes-noble-may-sell-nook-tablet-business.htm

If they can’t make money on a product that is $50 more then the Kindle Fire, how can Amazon.

I did some math and if Amazon has a 2% profit and wants a $50 profit off the Fire, then each Fire owner must average $2500 in sales.

I think their e-book sales are much higher margin than their physical goods delivery margins.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 08 January 2012 01:53 AM #65

Burgess (aka iOSWeekly) - 08 January 2012 05:28 AM
    omacvi - 06 January 2012 03:41 AM

I think their e-book sales are much higher margin than their physical goods delivery margins.

That may be the case, but does not explain taking a loss on a product to sell $1000 more to make up for the loss.  They can spend millions instead marketing the Kindle and Amazon Apps and get better return on their money.

• Posted: 08 January 2012 01:58 AM #66

All I really know about Kindle Fire vs iPad sales at K-Mart, is that our K-Mart, having been closed since before Thanksgiving, didn’t sell a single KF.

Now I wonder about how important K-Mart sales were, after noting that Sears/K-Mart sales are down 5% YoY, and that Sears/K-Mart are closing over 200 stores in the next 12 months.

Bezos’ K-Mart comparison is a bogus metric extraordinaire.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 08 January 2012 02:02 AM #67

Mercel - 20 December 2011 10:44 PM

Hilarious Kindle vs. iPad comparo, and you won’t likely find it on Amazon.com either…

http://www.marco.org/2011/12/19/amazon-kindle-vs-ipad

What a great review.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 08 January 2012 02:07 AM #68

Gregg Thurman - 08 January 2012 05:58 AM

All I really know about Kindle Fire vs iPad sales at K-Mart, is that our K-Mart, having been closed since before Thanksgiving, didn’t sell a single KF.

Now I wonder about how important K-Mart sales were, after noting that Sears/K-Mart sales are down 5% YoY, and that Sears/K-Mart are closing over 200 stores in the next 12 months.

Bezos’ K-Mart comparison is a bogus metric extraordinaire.

I know our local Traget sold a ton of Fires.  Best Buy sold many as well.  Once again I hope they sell millions and find out like Android developers that there is no money in Droid sales.  Amazon can’t keep this strategy going for more then 3 quarters.

Target getting Apple stores inside is a huge move for both companies.  The store concept worked in CompUSA before they went under and is working in Best Buy.

The Fire will suffer if Apple drops the price of the iPad 2 by $100.  Once those stores get build, then Fire and the rest of the tablets will be in bigger trouble.  Target is doing well and increased traffic from these stores will keep them ahead of Walmart and giving Best Buy some good competition.