iPad for writing?

• Posted: 30 November 2011 03:05 PM

I have a iMac Desk Top. I’ll be out of the country for 2 months in the Spring. While abroad, I want to continue my writing on “my great American novel.” (???) Is the iPad2 a good way to do the writing? I’ve read some good, OK and disappointed reviews about the iPad2. Will the iPad3 be available in the Spring? And it is worth waiting for?
    Thanks for your help.

Posted: 29 December 2011 09:01 PM #1

If you’re a touch typist, iPad will kind of make you crazy typing for long periods of time. You’d probably be better off with a MacBook, although iPad plus a bluetooth keyboard might work also.

I only use iPad for consuming content or making brief notes. For writing away from home, I use the MacBook.

Posted: 31 December 2011 02:31 AM #2

I agree with the previous post.  I find the iPad inconvenient for lengthy writing. A bluetooth keyboard or maybe dictating via Dragon might work, but still, I think a MacBook will give you much more control over your writing, saving, and editing.

BTW, I was looking at the 11” MBA at the apple store today with just that thought in mind. Pretty slick!

All the Best   :apple:

Posted: 02 January 2012 07:33 AM #3

For Harry McCracken, iPad + keyboard is the way to go for writing:

http://technologizer.com/2011/12/05/how-the-ipad-2-became-my-favorite-computer/

• Posted: 12 January 2013 12:08 AM #4

i Do lot of freelance writing and i really loved writing on Ipad. I tend to get more creative with the Ipad !

Posted: 21 February 2013 11:57 AM #5

gelfo, do you use a keyboard, or handwriting?

I found the Notability app OK for writing, though not as smooth as actual pen and paper.

What I am really geeked out about, though, is that when I bought my new iMac in December, I kept the big ol’ clacky keyboard from my G4 to use with it, and took the itty bitty chicklet keyboard off the iMac and paired it with the iPad instead. Works great! You do have to remove the keyboard from the iMac’s Bluetooth device list first.

• Posted: 22 February 2013 12:26 AM #6

kstieffel - 21 February 2013 11:57 AM

gelfo, do you use a keyboard, or handwriting?

I found the Notability app OK for writing, though not as smooth as actual pen and paper.

What I am really geeked out about, though, is that when I bought my new iMac in December, I kept the big ol’ clacky keyboard from my G4 to use with it, and took the itty bitty chicklet keyboard off the iMac and paired it with the iPad instead. Works great! You do have to remove the keyboard from the iMac’s Bluetooth device list first.

Though i have a keyboard , i prefer handwriting.  I feel more comfortable that way. I use Daedalus touch . It’s one of the best gesture based iPad text editors that has worked well for me. The best things is that it has a build in browser and supports TextExpander. Moreover it syncs with Dropbox.
    Writing becomes super cool.