Gene Munster on AAPL - strong for years

Posted: 30 November 2011 04:22 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/gene-munster-apple-presentation-2011-11

Gene just presented at Business Insiders IGNITION conference:

He tackled 5 big issues for the company going forward: Management, International growth, mobile market share, building user interfaces, and attacking the living room.

Bottom line: Apple is in good position to continue growing. But the reasons why it’s going to continue doing well might surprise you.

Here are the titles of the bullet points (yes its an evil B.I. slide show):

- Apple’s executives aren’t going anywhere
    - Nothing has changed at Apple since Steve Jobs died
    - The addition of Bob Iger to the Apple board was a very big deal
    - Apple hasn’t had to discount any products to crack China
    - Apple hasn’t had to discount any products to crack China
    - Yes Android is big, but people don’t love it like they love the iPhone
    - Of equal importance, DEVELOPERS love the iPhone
    - Apple is working on the next generation of user interface but ...
    - Apple television is coming and it’s going to be great
    - But, Apple TV won’t be a massive business
    - Oh, and by the way, iPhone sales are going to be “fine” this quarter
    - ...and now for some disclosures about Gene, he asked us to include

I think his most interesting point is how everyone is overlooking the addition of Bib Iger to the board and how that will help Apple make key content deals.

Signature

Don’t anthropomorphize computers, they hate that.

Posted: 30 November 2011 04:42 PM #1

I think he is forgetting two important factors.

One is that Apple will continue to build about 40 stores a year for the next 10 years.

Second is that no matter how big Android is, Apple right now is at the mercy of manufacturing capacity.  They can sell even more iPhones by entering new markets but they can only build so many.

I think he is also forgetting the strength of the iOS.  iPHones will not be as important as they are now.  iPads and Macs will still rule the day and we will see other iOS devices via slow release of this powerful operating system into other devices.  Appliances, cars, houses, and the list is endless for many other industries and services.

The future is brighter then anyone can imagine.  No one here believed 5 years ago that Apple would be as successful with the introduction of the iPhone.  This device not only is making a ton of money for Apple, but more importantly is building an ecosystem by introducing millions of new users to Apple.  That introduction will continue and accelerate as we finish the first decade of iOS devices.

Posted: 30 November 2011 04:47 PM #2

omacvi - 30 November 2011 08:42 PM

No one here believed 5 years ago that Apple would be as successful with the introduction of the iPhone.

SNIPUS and I are very hurt.  Both of us went to MWSF that year to see the iPhone.  We are convinced.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 30 November 2011 05:13 PM #3

Mace - 30 November 2011 08:47 PM
    omacvi - 30 November 2011 08:42 PM

No one here believed 5 years ago that Apple would be as successful with the introduction of the iPhone.

SNIPUS and I are very hurt.  Both of us went to MWSF that year to see the iPhone.  We are convinced.

Hey I was referring to Nov 2006.  I was at MacWorld 08.  It took almost 4 years for the MacBook Air to take off. I think right now it will do Mac Sales that the first iMac in 1998 did to Mac Sales. Good products take time to mature.  And Apple I think it is getting started.

Mace

Don’t feel bad.  It is because of you and Tommo that I will be a very rich man sooner then I ever dreamed. :-D