Office for iPad?

Posted: 02 December 2011 12:49 AM #16

Yeah. I was really happy with Ofice for Mac 2004… Didn’t. Really want to upgrade. Just hope MS doesn’t port the redesigned menus and button organization nightmare they created on the PC version

Signature

pbg

Posted: 02 December 2011 01:45 AM #17

Paul Goodwin - 02 December 2011 04:23 AM

If cloud computing is the real wave of the future, it would seem that an iPad user interface to an iCloud fully Office compatible app would be the way to go.

Would be good that some enterprises can re-engineer their processes without the need of the complicated MSOffice, outgunning their competitors with cheaper IT costs.  Why do ordinary folks need to learn how to use a complicated spreadsheet?  If need be, can’t SIRI help?  He is a good virtual assistant right?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 02 December 2011 02:14 AM #18

Most people don’t need the full power of Office for sure. But getting industry to switch is nearly impossible because they would all have to switch at once. IT departments are always looking for ways to not pay the license fees to Microsoft, but it’s so engrained in big business that it’s going to take a long time to change. I worked for a large conglomerate for many years and I know they were always trying to replace Office, but never could.

I would think that the iPad version of Office or a cloud-based version with an iPad interface could be somewhat simplified, because the power Office users aren’t likely to be creating the complex documents on the iPad. A MacBook Air would be a better choice for mobility. The iPad version would have to be very capable as a viewer of documents, and some limitations for editing of the extremely complex documents would be acceptable given the true reason the iPad sells. It’s a fantastic portable viewer and portal with some editing capability. More is better, but I don’t think it needs to be the equivalent of a desktop machine with MS Office.

Signature

pbg

• Posted: 03 December 2011 10:48 AM #19

It’s a positive for Apple and neutral for Microsoft much like many of Apple’s partnerships.  Look at how Foxconn made basically nothing this year on iphone manufacturing or how Sprint stock is getting hammered.

Apple is leaving these companies no choice.  US Cellular was the first carrier to reject the iphone due to onerous terms however the results of not having it are probably even worse.

• Posted: 03 December 2011 12:10 PM #20

adamthompson3232 - 02 December 2011 03:32 PM

Mercel,

It may very well be the best ever but it still takes me 3x as long to do stuff with Excel for Mac 2011 than it does with Excel for Windows. It’s just crippling when you need to do a ton of data manipulation and calculations. Not a big deal for most people so it’s largely irrelevant. But to get enterprise to really ever shift to Mac Excel for Mac will need to get MUCH better. I was talking to teh Controller at my company about it (he’s also a big AAPL believer and investor) and he agrees that Excel 2011 for Mac still isn’t good enough for enterprise use and he doesn’t think it will be for a long time. I agree. But it doesn’t matter. Apple has massive headroom with the Mac even without enterprise.

I’ve been around a lot of controllers, and in my experience, their knowledge of Excel hardly qualifies them as an judge of this software.  They typically put it to pedestrian uses that might even be handled by Numbers if they made an attempt to learn it.  I get the familiarity thing with keystrokes, but that really shouldn’t be the basis for disqualifying it.  In any event, the reviews of Office for 2011 for Mac are uniformly solid.

I use VBA, pivot tables, conditional formatting, etc. in Excel, so I’m not a casual user of it (and I’m not suggesting you are).  I still don’t like the the calendar/date issues between the versions, but I’m hoping to cease using the PC version altogether.  I’m looking to use the PC less and less and wish I didn’t have to rely on enterprise software that requires Winblows.  Finally, I MUCH prefer working on Mac hardware, as it inspires me, offering qualities of pleasing design and the caliber of the fit and finish.  They’re also more reliable, but this isn’t really a PC vs. Mac thread, I hope!