Woman and Apple

Posted: 05 December 2011 11:17 PM

I’m on travel this week and I was in the Apple Store this weekend on State Street in Santa Barbara. I spent a few hours at the Genuis Bar resolving an email issue I was having on my Air. I got to spend a lot of time watching the people come and go. The thing I noticed the most was how many females young and old were in the store. There were many very young girls with there mothers and fathers playing education games on the iMacs. While I sat at the Genuis Bar many young woman came to resolve issues they were having with there IPod Touches and they usually had a girl friend with them. They all seem to be comfortable being there and the Genuis guys were of course very helpful. Next to me was a young female college student with her father getting a new battery for her white Macbook Pro. I sat there wondering how many of the new apple users are from the female demographics. Not sure I have ever seen a breakout done on the statics of female to male apple users.

Posted: 05 December 2011 11:43 PM #1

[This post was removed because the moderators arbitrarily censor.]

[ Edited: 08 January 2012 04:14 AM by the_dragonfly ]

Signature

In any society, when the rules are not enforced on some segment of the population, that segment will become increasingly abusive to the innocent. Examples: Cops & Old Timers on this forum.

• Posted: 06 December 2011 02:47 AM #2

Infohunter - 06 December 2011 03:17 AM

I’m on travel this week and I was in the Apple Store this weekend on State Street in Santa Barbara. I spent a few hours at the Genuis Bar resolving an email issue I was having on my Air. I got to spend a lot of time watching the people come and go. The thing I noticed the most was how many females young and old were in the store. There were many very young girls with there mothers and fathers playing education games on the iMacs. While I sat at the Genuis Bar many young woman came to resolve issues they were having with there IPod Touches and they usually had a girl friend with them. They all seem to be comfortable being there and the Genuis guys were of course very helpful. Next to me was a young female college student with her father getting a new battery for her white Macbook Pro. I sat there wondering how many of the new apple users are from the female demographics. Not sure I have ever seen a breakout done on the statics of female to male apple users.

I’ve never seen a breakout but you can bet your comfy christmas slippers that Apple knows.  They’ve done a fabulous job of breaking the tech boy stronghold on things hardware related.  Automobile dealerships would be well advised to see how Apple Retail goes about this.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 06 December 2011 09:17 AM #3

Good customer service always solidifies the relationship between the customer and the company.  PC customer service is virtually non existent.  Given the choice, most people would rather walk into a store and speak with a human being to fix a problem.  Apple has also made the appointment system virtually seamless (via their website) to mitigate the dread of going to a store and standing in line for hours.  Overall Apple has done a good job in creating a bond between the customer, the company and the product.  People tell their friends how easy it is to get help so then their friends buy one (I have seen this happen four times between my daughter and her friends). 
    Women in the store?  Well in Reston VA near where I live the Apple store is next to a Victoria’s Secret.  Not sure if that was planned but the real estate person for Apple deserves a pat n the back for that one.

Posted: 06 December 2011 11:25 AM #4

I guess the new “PICKUP JOINT” is now an Apple retail store?

smile

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 06 December 2011 11:44 AM #5

Interesting observations

I noticed the same thing in Apple stores.  Usually computers and gadgets are associated with men.  Walk into most Best Buys or other electronic stores.

In Apple stores I see many more teenage girls then other demographic group.  Not sure why but obviously Apple products are a magnet for girls.

My wife is a perfect example.  Before the iPhong 3GS she only used her iPhone for calendar and calls.

Something happened.  Now she wanted the latest iPhone and it is on it all the time.  She texts more then ever, takes pictures, plays games and is on the internet all the time.

This is powerful because she hates computers and technology with a passion.  I think the same can be said about many women.

Apple is gaining critical traction with women who make most money decisions when it comes to spending.

Posted: 06 December 2011 03:11 PM #6

TanToday - 06 December 2011 03:25 PM

smile

Don’t go to the Mega-Mall. As I noted, there are no good-looking women there like my regular store in the land of trophy wives. 

http://youtu.be/oYGYJOUsJHU?t=23s

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 06 December 2011 03:32 PM #7

Worth noting: Ms. Andrea Jung has been the Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Avon Products Inc., since September 2001 and November 4, 1999 respectively…She has been a Director of Apple Inc., since January 4, 2008 and serves as its Co-lead Director.

Andrea Jung

Posted: 06 December 2011 03:56 PM #8

BillH - 06 December 2011 06:47 AM

I’ve never seen a breakout but you can bet your comfy christmas slippers that Apple knows.  They’ve done a fabulous job of breaking the tech boy stronghold on things hardware related.  Automobile dealerships would be well advised to see how Apple Retail goes about this.

Been to Feldmens Mercedes down in my neck of the woods? Kinda Apple storish inside except with a shoe shine guy, a masseur, and free coffee and cookies.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 06 December 2011 08:27 PM #9

[ Edited: 08 January 2012 04:15 AM by the_dragonfly ]

Signature

In any society, when the rules are not enforced on some segment of the population, that segment will become increasingly abusive to the innocent. Examples: Cops & Old Timers on this forum.

Posted: 07 December 2011 11:30 AM #10

Unique - 06 December 2011 07:01 PM
    TanToday - 06 December 2011 03:25 PM

smile

Tan, try Starbucks :D You’ll be surprised

I frequently take my iPad or MacBook Pro to our local Starbucks, usually I sit out in the courtyard. The free WiFi is nice, but it also a good place for people watching.

As to the demographics of the Apple Store customers. Yes, I would say that there are a lot of women shopping or at the Genuis Bar, more so than at Best Buy, Fry’s, and such. Proffesionals, students, teachers, all types. I do think that it is the non geekiness of the products. Not that women can’t be tech types, but that it seems to be more of a guy thing.

The best of both worlds? There is a nice patio area outside of the Fashion Valley Apple Store here in San Diego. Benches, shrubs, nice little spot where you can use the Apple Store’s free WiFi. My wife parks me there while she is shopping in the mall, “Don’t wander off”

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 07 December 2011 12:19 PM #11

I’m sure very few people are aware that you can book appointments at the genius bar essentially every day of the year (just 1 per day though) after you’ve bought an Apple product (computer, iPad, iPod?). Not only can you get help with technical issues, you can get ongoing advice on how to use programs functionally, artistically and productively for whatever you are interested in. I recently talked my wife into porting her home business from Microsoft to iWork. She and her assistant spent several days there doing due diligence, exploring the possibilities and then getting everything changed over, along with dozens of new templates, iCloud backup, e-mail, calendar support etc. They love it. Assistant picked up new MacBook and iPad. No more daily hair pulling and bitching about lost files, frozen programs, etc etc. My life is also much improved. Genius.

Posted: 07 December 2011 12:55 PM #12

macProf - 07 December 2011 04:19 PM

... I recently talked my wife into porting her home business from Microsoft to iWork ...

Do she need spreadsheet?  Recently, AT said that Numbers is not good enough, he preferred MSFT Excel running on a WinTel PC.  Your wife is ok with Numbers?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 07 December 2011 01:10 PM #13

Mace - 07 December 2011 04:55 PM
    macProf - 07 December 2011 04:19 PM

... I recently talked my wife into porting her home business from Microsoft to iWork ...

Do she need spreadsheet?  Recently, AT said that Numbers is not good enough, he preferred MSFT Excel running on a WinTel PC.  Your wife is ok with Numbers?

I’ve run three business’s(two brick and mortar and one online) on my mac for 15 or so years. Numbers is fine as long as you don’t have a bazillion parts or customers. Excel is a fine app but it gets in the way of easy spreadsheet work or making up custom invoices as I do for eBay sales. The thing I really like about apple apps is that if you know one you know them all. Pages,Keynote,Numbers,iWeb… they are all alike in so many ways.

Posted: 07 December 2011 01:14 PM #14

She only has 6 employees, and runs a health based business, so I don’t think their spreadsheet needs are all that many or sophisticated. I’ve found that Numbers is also sufficient for what I do, but it is likewise limited and not terribly sophisticated. Someone else should comment on this issue.  I know my wife is tickled pink with the ease of use and features of Pages and Keynote. Notably, they were also shown, or have discovered, a number of medical and productivity apps that they can use with their iPads that have proven to be extremely useful for them as well as their clients. Extremely happy converts…

Posted: 07 December 2011 01:45 PM #15

[ Edited: 08 January 2012 04:14 AM by the_dragonfly ]

Signature