Microsoft retail

Posted: 07 December 2011 03:02 PM

Ment to post this sooner but forgot.

I stayed in Houston on the way to london several weeks ago and stayed at the Weston at the Houston Galleria.

I was walking through the mall and from a distance saw an apple store and had two quick thoughts.

The first was that it seemed slow and the second was that they had changed up their color scheme. 

As I got closer to it I realized it was a microsoft store.  It was amazing how they just absolutely ripped off the look and feel of the apple stores. I actually had to laugh.

Has anyone else seen these stores and agree?

They really have no shame at Microsoft

Eric in Austin

Posted: 07 December 2011 07:59 PM #1

[This post was removed because the moderators arbitrarily censor.]

[ Edited: 08 January 2012 04:13 AM by the_dragonfly ]

Signature

In any society, when the rules are not enforced on some segment of the population, that segment will become increasingly abusive to the innocent. Examples: Cops & Old Timers on this forum.

• Posted: 07 December 2011 08:17 PM #2

the_dragonfly - 07 December 2011 11:59 PM

Haven’t seen a msft store, but I’m really surprised if there isn’t an Apple store in the Galleria.  Seems like exactly the kind of location they’d want to be… or is the galleria now so dated that its no longer upscale?

Anyway, yes, the MSFT people are shameless.  The funny thing is, they think that they actually put out superior products to Apple and that the only reason Apple is successful is trendiness and style.

I think this is the root of msft’s problems, they don’t correctly understand why they’re losing in the marketplace.

Steve Jobs was correct:  MSFT has no taste.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 08 December 2011 11:56 AM #3

At the Mall of America, the Apple Store and Microsoft Store are directly across each other.  The MS store has at least 2X the floor space, but most of the time I’ve gone there, at most half the customers.  And I don’t see a lot of people walking out with computer purchases.  I don’t think they’re making money on that store.  They probably think of the cost of running the stores as an advertising/promo expense.  It’s the only way it would make sense.

But boy, what a shameless copier.  MS puts the Chinese and Koreans to shame.

• Posted: 08 December 2011 12:00 PM #4

All the same, I tend to remember a quote from some guy named Steve Jobs about shamelessly stealing great ideas.

Posted: 08 December 2011 12:30 PM #5

on a related note, Horace asks How productive iis an Apple Store Employee?

Posted: 08 December 2011 12:46 PM #6

There is a MicroSoft Store a few doors down from the Fashion Valley Apple Store (San Diego, California). I have been in their a few times and yes it looks very much like an Apple Store. The staff are also courteous, helpful, and from what I can determine knowledgeable. When it comes time to get myself a new Windows computer I will probably shop there than instead say a big box store. When they had the grand opening I got an “I’m a PC” T-shirt.

That being said, I don’t see them getting anywhere near as much traffic as the Apple Store. Maybe there are too many alternatives for Windows user, Best Buy, Fry’s, Radio Shack, and so on. many of those places also sell Macs, but the experience isn’t as good as in an Apple Store, prices are the same too. I will give Fry’s a thumbs up for their selection of iPhone and iPad accessories, they carry more variety than the Apple Store.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 08 December 2011 01:02 PM #7

[This post was removed because the moderators arbitrarily censor.]

[ Edited: 08 January 2012 04:13 AM by the_dragonfly ]

Signature

In any society, when the rules are not enforced on some segment of the population, that segment will become increasingly abusive to the innocent. Examples: Cops & Old Timers on this forum.

Posted: 08 December 2011 01:15 PM #8

the_dragonfly - 08 December 2011 05:02 PM
    Ross Edwards - 08 December 2011 04:00 PM

All the same, I tend to remember a quote from some guy named Steve Jobs about shamelessly stealing great ideas.

I think you’re misunderstanding the quote, which, IIRC is “Good artists copy, great artists steal.”

He’s actually arguing against what MSFT is doing—which is emulating the Apple store in a cargo cult fashion.

Apple “stole” some ideas from the GAP stores (GAP chairman? was on Apple’s board) such as having the prodcout out on tables to interact with, rather than on shelves or hangers.

But you wouldn’t confuse and Apple store with a GAP store.  The Apple store uniquely answers the need that Apple had.

Which isn’t to sell computers, by the way.  Selling stuff is just what makes the Apple store sustainable.

The Apple store is a marketing effort for Apple, it is also an advertising effort.  It provides Apple direct contact with customers so they can be sold on apple solutions.  It also allows Apple to educate customers, which is doing a great deal to counteract the “education” they were receiving from anti-apple forces.

It is a distributed support system to provide customers with technical support and repairs and warranty service (generally on the spot in the store) at high quality.

I think selling computers and stuff is maybe 1/3 of the Apple store’s mission….

Thanks.  I was thinking about how to respond to Ross.  You said very well.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 08 December 2011 01:15 PM #9

It also allows Apple to educate customers, which is doing a great deal to counteract the ?education? they were receiving from anti-apple forces.

True that!

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 08 December 2011 03:45 PM #10

What was the purpose behind the Apple Store when the days of computer stores seemed to be crashing to a close?

It?s the whole experience model that Apple set out to perfect.

Innovate the best ideas, intertwine it products, integrate its products and software, interact with its customers and the media based upon information and inspiration. All this may be what the Apple i is all about.

The purpose behind the MicroSoft Store and what the Android club does best is to blatantly simulate and swipe, pure and simple. That pretty much is why the income and interest flows to Apple and leaves the others so sad.

Pardon the corn.

Signature

Know History; not just your Folklore! At least until I find time to rewrite the laws of physics.

• Posted: 08 December 2011 05:36 PM #11

the_dragonfly - 08 December 2011 05:02 PM
    Ross Edwards - 08 December 2011 04:00 PM

I think you’re misunderstanding the quote, which, IIRC is “Good artists copy, great artists steal.”

He said a bit more:

“Picasso had a saying: Good artists copy, great artists steal—and we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas.”  (PBS Triumph of the Nerds documentary, 1996)

The thing is that an idea by itself is, frankly, worth nothing.  Execution of the idea is what creates the value.  MSFT can copy the Apple Store motif all they want, but unless they can execute on the workflow that the Apple Store is designed to implement, their result will be just so much cargo cultage as you noted.

People talk about how bad it is that other companies steal Apple’s ideas.  Bushwah.  Ideas are fugitive resources.  Copying Apple’s execution of those ideas, especially their expressive execution, is another matter.  THAT is where value exists and that is where it matters that something is “intellectual property.”  But the idea itself?  No.  It reminds me of a screenwriters’ joke: “My friend came up to me and said hey man, I have a great idea for a movie.  Why don’t you write it up and we’ll split the take when the script sells?  I told him, that’s an amazing coincidence, because I have a great idea for a mansion.  Why don’t you build it up and we’ll split the take when the property sells?”

• Posted: 08 December 2011 08:20 PM #12

It’s gotta be hard working for Bomber these days… Your stuff is awful… Folks everywhere are copying your stuff and making it worse… You have to build you own flagship apps to work on your biggest competitors platform to get ANY mind space, and even your biggest enterprise customers to whom you have paid MILLIONS to use your product are starting to walk away…. Makes you wanna whine….

My story is like many of the others posted here and in forums everywhere. I troll the mall close to my home a bit and will probably be in there a bit more during this holiday season…. In this mall in SoCal, the Apple store and the Microshaft stores are maybe 100 feet apart, on the same side of the second floor. If you were just strolling, you may think they were the same store if you weren’t looking close. Since I found these places a year or so ago, the thing that has always struck me was the difference in traffic of both stores… On an average weekday, no sales, no big product announcements, no holidays, no promotions, just a ‘normal’ day for mall rats, there are probably, consistently, five to seven times the number of people in the Apple store versus Bomber’s bunker… It is EXTREMELY constant… Day, night, weekend, etc… Packed-Empty.. The stores are close to the same size but the difference in the folks coming in and out is huge….

Posted: 09 December 2011 12:24 PM #13

crazy morning at GCS.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1289131

Posted: 09 December 2011 12:38 PM #14

mstrmac - 09 December 2011 04:24 PM

crazy morning at GCS.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1289131

With that on top of the usual commute

Signature