iPhone on T-Mobile?

Posted: 30 December 2011 06:40 PM #16

I hope the next generation iPhone is released with t-mobile. Like others have said, a LTE iphone will most likely have to be produced in different SKUs due to the differing global LTE networks, so I’m sure that one of those SKUs would work with T-Mobile. The 4th Biggest network with 33 million customers in the worlds biggest spending handset market is most definitly a priority (after the biggest 3 operators are secured).

On the whimsical idea of apple buying T-Mobile - I am of course stead fast against any such idea, as it would be poison to apples carrier partner deals, not just in america, but around the world also.

However, having thought about it for a long time, there is possibly one way apple can get into the carrier game, but it would be a huge undertaking.

They would have to virtually overnight become a global carrier, available in almost every country they currently sell the iPhone in. Apple would need to do a simultaneous purchase of the nessecary carriers to be able to operate in every country it currently sells the iphone. This would be close to impossible, especially I’m guessing if we look at china, but not totally impossible.

The most likely route to doing this would be apple buying Vodafone, the world’s 2nd largest carrier with 350 million subscribers in 40 countries, and which owns 45% of Verizon. If apple mopped up the rest of Verizon, and also purchased deutsche telecom (including T-Mobile) and sorted out something within China, it wouldn’t be horrible.

Of course, that would be one of the worlds biggest ever business deals, reshaping the global telecom industry dramatically. It wouldnt be pretty, with iphone sales likely suffering a drop as rival carriers stopped selling it, but long term it would be an amazing user experience having apple control everything from end-to-end - I would little doubt in m imagining that within 10 years apple would have over a billion subscribers all using apple mobile products.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 11 January 2012 11:32 PM #17

IPhone coming to Gazillions of anxious T mobile subscribers soooon!  http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/11/t-mobile-will-use-resources-and-spectrum-gained-from-failed-att-merger-to-become-iphone-compatible/

Posted: 11 January 2012 11:37 PM #18

Whatever works!  The iPhone tent happily accepts all compatible bandwidths!

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 12 January 2012 12:29 AM #19

Well I for one, would love to be able to upgrade my iPhone on T-Mo. My original 1st Gen works except no “visual voice-mail” and obviously only edge data. Never much of a need to call customer service and my current plan suites my needs. Never want to sign up with the Death Star due to there business practices and Mendacity, somewhat ambivalent with regards to Verizon and already done Sprint pre iPhone days..nuff said.

Signature

Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company…

Posted: 12 January 2012 06:23 PM #20

Forbes has a comment from T-Mobile chief technology officer on the next iPhone. 

T-Mobile?s chief technology officer Neville Ray at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week told CNET and several other sources the chipsets in the new iPhone 5 will support the Advanced Wireless Services, or AWS, frequency the carrier uses in its 3G network.