Good-bye Android

• Posted: 28 December 2011 06:16 PM #31

and for those wondering, we count each device only once (ie, we don?t count re-sold devices), and ?activations? means you go into a store, buy a device, put it on the network by subscribing to a wireless service.

I’m pretty literal minded, and these could easily be weasel words (the commonest kind from business leaders). Google is only counting each device once. But the rest of the statement cannot be true. Google cannot know if a device is store bought or not. It can’t know if a device is bought at all (might, e.g. be store demo). Google cannot know who has paid the wireless subscription used to perform registration, or even if there is a payment required. So “subscribe” must be meant in a looser sense, and could easily include wifi internet connections, which are a wireless service which has to be subscribed to in the sense of registering the device with the (local) service.

So I’m assuming WiFi only Android devices are included until Rubin explicitly states they are not. Which is exactly what he would already have done if he wanted to impress us with his numbers.

I don’t discount the possibility that Android may some day marginalise IOS, but it seems extremely unlikely to me at the present time. Google’s revenue is based on stealing privacy and selling it on, and this cannot fail to be a weakness in the long term. THey also clearly stole the ideas from iPhone (although stealing ideas can be legal).

[ Edited: 28 December 2011 06:23 PM by sleepygeek ]      

Posted: 28 December 2011 06:18 PM #32

libranca - 28 December 2011 09:11 PM
    pats - 28 December 2011 08:55 PM
    Brad Hutchings (Bosco) - 28 December 2011 07:53 PM

Seriously pats, if you’d been participating in forums during the American Revolutionary War against the British, you’d be claiming that the British were winning because they were the only side whose soldiers you could count in formation on the battlefield.

I’ll tell you a little story… The day the Galaxy Nexus came out, I went into a Verizon store to get one, and the rep there hadn’t been trained on the phone yet. Another customer was in there trying to decide between an iPhone 4S and the GN to replace his BlackBerry. I asked him where he commuted to, and in about 15 seconds, added a widget to the GN’s home screen which displayed a red, yellow, or green light to indicate traffic and travel time from current location. This stuff is all built in on any Gingerbread or later Android phone. No Market download required. Still can’t do that on an iPhone.

When I purchased my new phone, I signed into my Google account, and it immediately downloaded contacts, bookmarks, and apps I had on my Nexus One, which I’ve been using for almost 2 years. No plugging into a computer, no lengthy “sync” step. I signed into the Amazon MP3 app and had all my favorite music moved to the phone while having coffee with a friend.

As to developers… An Android developer can take his skills and make apps for a variety of products now, from phones to tablets that work with Market to vertical tabs like Kindle Fire and B&N Nook Color, and even wristwatches like the WIMM One. The numbers Google occasionally give out lend support to the intuitive story that having a community of stakeholders rather than a dictator in the middle is a better long term business proposition.

Well Brad I have actually been on a battlefield and that may be the reason I can see through Andy’s counting of Google activations.  You can’t get past fanboy rants when someone questions a number.  Last I checked, you didn’t need a computer to activate an iPhone or transfer you music, contacts, bookmarks and apps, but let’s concede that Google copied from the best and will have their day in court to prove they didn’t, and until then Android has a dark cloud over their use of Apple’s multi touch IP.  As far as Goggle Maps, it is an outstanding example of where Google leads the market and Apple relies on their work, but if I was a betting man, I would put my money on Apple severing that tie with their next release of their maps application.

+1

+2

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 28 December 2011 06:23 PM #33

mrmgraphics - 28 December 2011 09:21 PM

+

Gregg Thurman - 28 December 2011 09:13 PM

Anecdotal for sure, but the thing is, I (personal experience) never hear of someone going from iPhone to Android.

Same here. Likewise, I have never heard any iPhone owner complain about their iPhone, but have heard plenty of complaints from users of Android phones.

At the same time, an amazing number of people where I work are making the ultimate switch: They’re going Mac. And as for tablets, I know of a number of people with iPads, but not a single individual with any other tablet.

I have “heard” of people going from iPhone to an Android device, but those are commenters on blogs and no one that I personally know.

I see a lot of iPhones and iPads while out and about, MacBooks too, not so much others. To be fair I am more attuned to recognizing Apple products than I am an Android device.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 28 December 2011 06:36 PM #34

Lee Dronick - 28 December 2011 10:23 PM
    mrmgraphics - 28 December 2011 09:21 PM

+

Gregg Thurman - 28 December 2011 09:13 PM

Anecdotal for sure, but the thing is, I (personal experience) never hear of someone going from iPhone to Android.

Same here. Likewise, I have never heard any iPhone owner complain about their iPhone, but have heard plenty of complaints from users of Android phones.

At the same time, an amazing number of people where I work are making the ultimate switch: They’re going Mac. And as for tablets, I know of a number of people with iPads, but not a single individual with any other tablet.

I have “heard” of people going from iPhone to an Android device, but those are commenters on blogs and no one that I personally know.

I see a lot of iPhones and iPads while out and about, MacBooks too, not so much others. To be fair I am more attuned to recognizing Apple products than I am an Android device.

Sir Harry….a new nom de plume?

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 28 December 2011 06:39 PM #35

Sir Harry?.a new nom de plume?

Real nom. smile

Signature

• Posted: 28 December 2011 07:48 PM #36

Gregg Thurman - 28 December 2011 10:10 PM
    Zeke - 28 December 2011 09:05 PM

The thermonuclear strike will be when Apple releases a web search application and makes it the default search, displacing Google.

Wouldn’t it be refreshing to use a search engine without gratuitous and unwanted advertising?  Or one where the results are not skewed by bribery and trickery?  How quickly do you think advertising revenues for Google’s search engine would drop?

Or how about search results that DO NOT have the first 4 or 5 results be nothing more than links to other specialized search engines.

There have been so many times that I had to click to page two, before I got results that matched my query, and weren’t just another search site, I’ve wanted to scream.

That is especially true with industries that are not “high tech”.  I run into this same frustration nearly every time I try to find auto parts or electrical parts on line.  Yep, I agree 1000%.

• Posted: 28 December 2011 07:52 PM #37

Brad Hutchings (Bosco) - 28 December 2011 09:43 PM

And seriously, you guys are at an all time low, holding onto some hope that the courts will fix everything that was “stolen” from Apple. Did the hope that Apple would try making competitive products die?

Troll much?  I’ll bet you did a happy dance the day SJ died.  He didn’t like your app for finding lost emus, or whatever it was, did he?  And you’ve had a grudge against Apple and SJ ever since.  You hate Apple so much you support and do business with thieves like Google and Samsung.  Find a rock and crawl back under it.

Posted: 28 December 2011 08:30 PM #38

Brad Hutchings (Bosco) - 28 December 2011 09:43 PM

Well pats, print yourself up a certificate and hold a parade. There’s nothing to see through in Rubin’s numbers. The Apple fanboy deconstructions you all seem so proud of today are just wrong.

And seriously, you guys are at an all time low, holding onto some hope that the courts will fix everything that was “stolen” from Apple. Did the hope that Apple would try making competitive products die?

I don’t need to print myself one, I was awarded one by the president of the united states and rather then trying to make me ashamed for my service to my country and then name call me an clueless Apple fanboy.  I suggest that I have a better understanding of both Apple and Google and as a stockholder of both.  Android is available on a huge number of devices and is Avery successful OS.  Its probably because you called out SJ and his lies about how flash is great for mobile.  Funny how that is no longer the great Android bullet point.  The patent battle is TBD but no matter how it works out Google copied Apple.  You can say do what or whatever but I’ll wait for court and IMO all these cases are material to Google.

Posted: 28 December 2011 09:20 PM #39

Wrong pats. I’m not trying to make you ashamed for your service. In fact, I thank you for it. But you should be ashamed for thinking that it has any relevance to the numbers Andy Rubin has tweeted out these past few months.

Posted: 28 December 2011 09:54 PM #40

Brad Hutchings (Bosco) - 29 December 2011 01:20 AM

Wrong pats. I’m not trying to make you ashamed for your service. In fact, I thank you for it. But you should be ashamed for thinking that it has any relevance to the numbers Andy Rubin has tweeted out these past few months.

The creed for the college I attend was we will not lie, cheat or steal nor tolerate those who do.  So while I’m sure Andy has abasis for his claim and it is based on real data it is about as important to googles business as Apple’s claim of 10B app downloads.  The difference is Apple breaks out device sales in their quarterly financial results and Google tweets 4.4% w/w activation increase and 550K per day and then in Dec we are at 700K activations which hardly equates to 4.4% growth per week so should we be rejoicing over this new 700K or fearful that growth has hit the wall.  Add to the fact that we have to guess what Andy means by activations and the funny thing is Google can tell you anything and you believe. Call me a skeptic but IMO google is inflating the numbers.  Apple had disappointing iPhone sales last qtr and while management may sugar coat it, the results are provided directly in the financial report so a shareholder can reach their own conclusion.  It is like Google can’t tie Android to their profit and loss statement so they go about making activation claims.  I say show me the money.  Google is a public company with shareholders interested in how Andriod makes money.  Apple has br
    oken out iOS device data every qtr.

• Posted: 28 December 2011 11:42 PM #41

sleepygeek - 28 December 2011 10:16 PM

Google cannot know if a device is store bought or not. It can’t know if a device is bought at all (might, e.g. be store demo). Google cannot know who has paid the wireless subscription used to perform registration, or even if there is a payment required. So “subscribe” must be meant in a looser sense, and could easily include wifi internet connections, which are a wireless service which has to be subscribed to in the sense of registering the device with the (local) service.

So I’m assuming WiFi only Android devices are included until Rubin explicitly states they are not. Which is exactly what he would already have done if he wanted to impress us with his numbers.

This would explain why iOS is used so much more often to surf the ‘net and perform online shopping, than Android powered handsets.  Google is counting “activations’ coming from all types of handsets, including those that are not smart phones.

If Google is counting Wi-Fi connections as ‘activations’ then 700,000 per day is pretty puny.

Counting iPods, iPhones and iPads the same way would result in numbers several orders of magnitude higher than that.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 28 December 2011 11:47 PM #42

pats - 29 December 2011 12:30 AM

I was awarded one by the president of the united states and rather then trying to make me ashamed for my service to my country and then name call me an clueless Apple fanboy.

uhhh Pats, if I’m not mistaken, the only ‘award’ presented by POTUS is the Medal of Honor.  Am I correct?

[ Edited: 28 December 2011 11:51 PM by Gregg Thurman ]

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 28 December 2011 11:50 PM #43

pats - 29 December 2011 01:54 AM

The creed for the college I attend was we will not lie, cheat or steal nor tolerate those who do.

Would that “college” have been in upstate New York?

Signature

Posted: 29 December 2011 08:41 AM #44

+

Lee Dronick - 28 December 2011 10:23 PM

A few years back, when the personal smartphone explosion occurred (meaning not company-issued BlackBerry), the first few people to have them in my area had iPhones because that was pretty much the only non-BlackBerry smartphone. Then the Android avalanche occurred, and suddenly just about everyone had a Droid or some other such Android phone. The reasons given were basically one of three, if not all:

—2 for 1 Droid sales
    —available on Verizon, and
    —available on Verizon

The “available on Verizon” reason needs stated twice, simply because Verizon has a lock on this entire area. There are more Verizon stores in my area than Starbucks. The mall where I ordered my iPhone 4S at an AT&T store? It has one AT&T store, one Sprint store, and TWO Verizon stores.

In. The. Same. Mall:

http://www.pittsburghmills.com/directory_listing.php?PHPSESSID=6ff61d57f2e42f86aa05ecd160590320

Likewise, the sudden uptick in iPhone adoption in my area can be attributed to one of three things, if not all:

—dissatisfaction with shoddy Android phones
    —available on Verizon, and
    —available on Verizon

While I have had better service on AT&T as opposed to Verizon (I had an LG flip-phone on Verizon before going iPhone), most people in my area seem to have better service on Verizon. Also, most of those I work with are parents, and themselves, their friends, their kids, and their kids’ friends are all on Verizon. Meaning they’ll save a ton of money on their kids’ texts alone if the texting is Verizon-to-Verizon.

iPads seem to be helping, too: In a “halo reverse,” I’m seeing Android phone users getting iPads (never heard of anyone getting any tablet but), getting introduced to iOS via iPad, and making the iPhone switch as soon as their contracts allow. iOS isn’t the only reason, though: Build quality is huge.

I have heard stories of Android phones with slide-out physical keyboards having said keyboards fall off. A lot. Plus any number of other hardware quality issues. Google’s fault? No, but to the user of a broken smartphone, it doesn’t matter whose fault it is. And if said user has an iPad—build quality, anyone?—it’s pretty simple to see why that person’s next smartphone will be an iPhone.

Yes, Android does well and I’m sure it will continue to do well. But I am seeing increasing numbers of iPhone users, across a wide range of ages.

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

• Posted: 29 December 2011 09:20 AM #45

My wife and I made a trip to New Jersey on the Acela over the Christmas weekend.  I noticed that two people across the aisle from me were using Macbook Airs, and the man in front of me had an iPad so I decided to wander up and down the aisle of our car and make a count.  This is, admittedly, a very unrepresentative sample, but on the way down I counted 10 iPhones, 2 Blackberrys, two other smart phones in view, and 1 dumb phone.  There were 15 iPads, 1 additional ?Air? and 3 Windows lap tops being used.  This blew me away. 

My son-in law in NJ commented that he was amazed at how many iPads he sees when he travels.  He doesn?t own a single Apple device, but he told me that he plans to buy an iPad as soon as the next model comes out.

At the Christmas Eve party, three of the guests who make their living teaching Windows courses were all carrying iPhones, and two owned iPads.

On the trip home my experience was similar.  I didn?t do an exact count but there were a couple of Kindles (not fire) in view, and more lap tops (4 Airs, maybe 5 others), and about 8 iPads.

Although I do know a number of people who own Android phones and are very happy with them, I know a lot more who have iPhones.

It may be that there are more Android phones sold than iPhones, but I wonder if there are more iPhones actually being used than Androids.

Signature

The measure of the worth of a product is how much people are willing to pay for it, not how many people will buy it if the price is low enough.