Good-bye Android

Posted: 30 December 2011 12:20 AM #61

Brad Hutchings (Bosco) - 30 December 2011 03:25 AM
    Terrin - 30 December 2011 02:30 AM

There is no such thing as a non-Google Android activation. Android is a Trademark owned by Google. If a party doesn’t comply with Google’s licensing terms, it is not a Android device. Nowhere does Amazon or Barnes and Noble refer to their devices as Android devices. There is a reason for that.

Moreover, a source would be nice for your claims, as most resources on the Internet are claiming the opposite as you.

You are incorrect. On the Kindle Fire developer FAQ, Amazon uses the phrase Android device in a context that suggests your above “nowhere” claim is incorrect.

Here is the relevant quote for you to ponder:
    Which mobile operating systems does the Amazon Appstore support?
    The Amazon Appstore currently supports the Android operating system and works on Android devices running Android OS 1.6 and higher.

BTW, the term “Android device” is widely used to describe any device which runs the Android operating system, regardless of whether it has Google apps installed on it.

Come on. You are showing me the developer site. Not the public site. We all know the code is Android code. But that code can be altered freely beyond recognition. For a company to brand a device as Android, however, it must met licensing requirements. For instance, utilize Google services. You can call it what you want, but if it can’t be marketed as Android, to me it isn’t an Android device.

Neither the Nook or Fire use the trademark Android to market the product because they can’t.

• Posted: 30 December 2011 01:12 AM #62

After I spent so many wasted hours sorting through and sometimes actually reading FUD by folks like Brad over on the Yahoo Finance Apple Board, I was so relieved to find this board. Many smart people sharing their opinions about all things Apple. Members many times disagree on specifics but, for the most part, try to consider the other’s point of view. And again, for the most part, we keep disagreements civil.  Why does anyone bother to reply to Brad’s nonsense? It’s a waste of precious minutes of our lives and will do nothing to change Brad’s outlook on “all things Apple”. Can we all please agree to not take the bait and just ignore his posts?  Let the time wasted be his, not ours.

• Posted: 30 December 2011 02:10 AM #63

Luckychoices - 30 December 2011 05:12 AM

After I spent so many wasted hours sorting through and sometimes actually reading FUD by folks like Brad over on the Yahoo Finance Apple Board, I was so relieved to find this board. Many smart people sharing their opinions about all things Apple. Members many times disagree on specifics but, for the most part, try to consider the other’s point of view. And again, for the most part, we keep disagreements civil.  Why does anyone bother to reply to Brad’s nonsense? It’s a waste of precious minutes of our lives and will do nothing to change Brad’s outlook on “all things Apple”. Can we all please agree to not take the bait and just ignore his posts?  Let the time wasted be his, not ours.

Welcome Lucky.  I have fled many a forum for exactly the same reasons you gave.  I agree 1000%.  That’s why I have had him on ignore for about two months (if I recall correctly).  Time flies when you’re having fun.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 30 December 2011 05:03 AM #64

That?s why I have had him on ignore

+1

• Posted: 30 December 2011 02:58 PM #65

danthemason - 30 December 2011 09:03 AM

That?s why I have had him on ignore

+1

Strongly agree.

Posted: 30 December 2011 03:01 PM #66

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 30 December 2011 03:11 PM #67

Terrin: You’re missing the plot through semantics. I know that many of you guys probably know next to nothing about “devices that run the Android operating system”, but they are commonly, in the press and user communities, called “Android devices”. Even Google employees do this occasionally in writing and conversation. Are you ready for the punchline?

That’s why is makes a lots of sense for The Verge to have a masthead article right now entitled, wait for it, What is an Android Device? The lead in to that article includes:

But the question is, what constitutes an “Android device,” exactly? On some level, the Kindle Fire, Nook Color, and Nook Tablet are all “Android devices,” for instance ? but considering how far removed they are from Google’s first-party ecosystem, it seems unlikely that Rubin would be including them.

So I’m not entirely sure if you’re just trying to be difficult or you’re not aware of how people interested in the Android ecosystem discuss the plethora of devices that comprise that market, but you are bordering on inanity none-the-less. A bigger theme here for this forum is that many of you discuss Android things through the lens of Apple expectations, which is a mistake, and if you’ve been at all surprised at the Android juggernaut or blaming it on copying, might be an input filter you could strive to adjust to position yourselves better with reality.

P.S. For JDSoCal:

[ Edited: 30 December 2011 03:14 PM by Bosco (Brad Hutchings) ]      

Posted: 30 December 2011 03:52 PM #68

+

Brad Hutchings (Bosco) - 30 December 2011 07:11 PM

A bigger theme here for this forum is that many of you discuss Android things through the lens of Apple expectations, which is a mistake….

<headdesk/>
    <headdesk/>
    <headdesk/>
    OMG, what metaphor do I lead off with? Pot, meet kettle? Stone, meet house of glass? Brad, every thing you say on TMO is that of a Fandroid who sees everything that Apple does, every product that Apple makes, and everything that we love about Apple and its products, through the lens of your own Android expectations. Apple should license its technology, or open-source it. Why? Android’s open-source. iOS should support Flash. Why? Android does. “Oh…I’m sorry. Did.” (Kudos top anyone who can cite that quote.) Steve Jobs is evil. Why? He didn’t run Apple the way Google runs Android. People here at TMO are mindless fanboy sheep. Why? We like Apple products and the way Apple does things, instead of liking Android products and the way Google does things.

Sheesh….

<headdesk/>
    <headdesk/>
    <headdesk/>

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

Posted: 30 December 2011 04:50 PM #69

@mrm: I think what you forget is that I had been pretty sympathetic to Apple and in the center of the Apple fan crowd for more than 25 years, save for a two-year exile in the late 1990s. I had an iPhone. I still use a Mac, and still develop software for use on Macs. I really do understand the general Apple approach. When it turned heavy handed in Spring 2009 and Jobs started sounding real war drums, I was disgusted with it, and looked seriously at alternatives. In Google and Android, I found many things to be much better for users and developers, and opportunities outside the mothership company much more interesting. Fundamentally, I find the balance of power in the Android community more amenable to more stakeholders finding adequate levels of satisfaction for participating than in the iOS world. I appreciate that there is always the private recourse between a developer and customer of dealing directly without a censor and toll collector in the middle.

By contrast, most of the comments I read here about Android are mostly incorrect, and when correct, lack nuance. There is an attitude here that Android must have cheated or defrauded in order to, for example, capture more than half of new smartphone sales currently. As I periodically offer some explanations as to why Apple lost this, I’m met with some pretty vile accusations here. Which is fine, because one of my premises is that fanboys pumping a stock in a dedicated forum is just a circle jerk anyway, but it’s kind of interesting that such endemic cluelessness about a primary competitor is actively encouraged in a stock forum that so desperately wants relevance.

Seriously now, we’re in a supposedly reputable forum about AAPL, and everyone here is piling on about how Android is going to die? Child, please! Come on, son! Quit the fapping. It’s not happening.

Posted: 30 December 2011 05:23 PM #70

Brad I love how you have the nerve to characterize a whole forum of extremely intelligent nature as a bunch of lemmings.  I suspect I have made more money off of both google and apple then you make in a year, but that doesnt matter because I believe Apple is the better investment.  if you can give me one good investable idea for the android ecosystem, I’m all ears otherwise your just babbling.  This is not a developers forum although some of us write code, it is an investment forum.  As far as Google and Android they continue to make claims about advertising dollar potential of android and I continue to believe the potential is there, but they owe their shareholders more detail.  For a company, which rides the Open Software mantra to maximum effect, it would be helpful to be more open about their financials.  You have already determined that Google is pure and did not misappropriate any IP, I think the courts will decide differently.  As far as Android OEMs, the cost of doing business with Google is not a free ride.  while they got a excellent OS for minor upfront cash, they are not indemnified against all these lawsuits by Google, and they don’t have the deep pockets to defend themselves so they will most likely move to the Microsoft camp.  A couple of the big players have bet their future on Android and now they are fighting for their lives in litigation with the hope that they can cause Apple enough pain to force cross liscencing.  I think it is much to early to declare a victory for Apple or Android, but Apple keeps gaining multi- touch patterns and I don’t think Android will be able to work around all the issues.

• Posted: 30 December 2011 05:42 PM #71

pats - 30 December 2011 09:23 PM

Brad I love how you have the nerve to characterize a whole forum of extremely intelligent nature as a bunch of lemmings.  I suspect I have made more money off of both google and apple then you make in a year, but that doesnt matter because I believe Apple is the better investment.  if you can give me one good investable idea for the android ecosystem, I’m all ears otherwise your just babbling.  This is not a developers forum although some of us write code, it is an investment forum.  As far as Google and Android they continue to make claims about advertising dollar potential of android and I continue to believe the potential is there, but they owe their shareholders more detail.  For a company, which rides the Open Software mantra to maximum effect, it would be helpful to be more open about their financials.  You have already determined that Google is pure and did not misappropriate any IP, I think the courts will decide differently.  As far as Android OEMs, the cost of doing business with Google is not a free ride.  while they got a excellent OS for minor upfront cash, they are not indemnified against all these lawsuits by Google, and they don’t have the deep pockets to defend themselves so they will most likely move to the Microsoft camp.  A couple of the big players have bet their future on Android and now they are fighting for their lives in litigation with the hope that they can cause Apple enough pain to force cross liscencing.  I think it is much to early to declare a victory for Apple or Android, but Apple keeps gaining multi- touch patterns and I don’t think Android will be able to work around all the issues.

Excellent responses all, to Bosco’s nonsense.  But why do I still have to wade through it all, when I have him on ignore?

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 30 December 2011 07:36 PM #72

+

the_dragonfly - 30 December 2011 12:19 AM
    mrmgraphics - 29 December 2011 11:42 PM

I want to go out on a date with Summer Glau. In a Tesla Roadster. (A red one.) Is it going to happen? Most likely, no. But maybe Ms. Glau should open-source her personal life and Tesla should open-source their remaining Roadsters.

LOL. I’d be happy to go on a date with *any* of the cast of Firefly.  Have a friend who met Tim Minear, Adam Baldwin and Alan Tudyk at a bar once, said they were all rather nice.

Without going horribly off-topic, one of the greatest crimes of this century had to be the cancellation of Firefly. Followed closely by the cancellation of TSCC, which is where I first saw Summer Glau, and what led me to Firefly in the first place. (She also made The Cape watchable.)

At least we now have Nathan Fillion in the excellent Castle, Summer in the upcoming Knights of Badassdom movie (which looks great), and recently had Alan Tudyk in Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, which is a must-see.

OK, to make this relevant to an Apple finance forum and bring it full-circle: Had I invested in Apple when I should have when the share price was seven bucks or so, I could cash out, buy a Tesla Roadster, and take Summer Glau to a five-star restaurant. Alas, I did not invest…. :(

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

• Posted: 31 December 2011 03:57 AM #73

mrmgraphics - 30 December 2011 11:36 PM

OK, to make this relevant to an Apple finance forum and bring it full-circle: Had I invested in Apple when I should have when the share price was seven bucks or so, I could cash out, buy a Tesla Roadster, and take Summer Glau to a five-star restaurant. Alas, I did not invest…. :(

I didn’t either, but I’ve done well with options since 2006.  Have my reservation in for the Model S.  Tesla hasn’t provided a production/delivery date yet, other than to say that mine will be produced late fall of 2012.

Signature

• Posted: 31 December 2011 06:29 AM #74

Gregg Thurman - 31 December 2011 07:57 AM

Have my reservation in for the Model S.  Tesla hasn’t provided a production/delivery date yet, other than to say that mine will be produced late fall of 2012.

I also have a Tesla Model S on reserve, but I don’t expect delivery until December. Anybody else on this board have one on reserve?  All of you iPad lovers will drool over the huge touchscreen they have designed into this puppy.

• Posted: 31 December 2011 03:02 PM #75

macorange - 31 December 2011 10:29 AM
    Gregg Thurman - 31 December 2011 07:57 AM

Have my reservation in for the Model S.  Tesla hasn’t provided a production/delivery date yet, other than to say that mine will be produced late fall of 2012.

I also have a Tesla Model S on reserve, but I don’t expect delivery until December. Anybody else on this board have one on reserve?  All of you iPad lovers will drool over the huge touchscreen they have designed into this puppy.

If I get mine first I’ll drive over to your house to gloat.
    If you get yours first you drive over to my house to gloat.

Deal?

Signature