Good-bye Android

Posted: 31 December 2011 05:17 PM #76

[This post was removed because the moderators arbitrarily censor.]

[ Edited: 08 January 2012 04:41 AM by the_dragonfly ]

Signature

In any society, when the rules are not enforced on some segment of the population, that segment will become increasingly abusive to the innocent. Examples: Cops & Old Timers on this forum.

• Posted: 31 December 2011 08:14 PM #77

Gregg Thurman - 31 December 2011 07:02 PM

If I get mine first I’ll drive over to your house to gloat.
    If you get yours first you drive over to my house to gloat.

Deal?

For the version I’m buying, you need to be within 160 miles of Chicago, or I’ll never make it.

Posted: 31 December 2011 09:06 PM #78

macorange - 01 January 2012 12:14 AM

Deal?

For the version I’m buying, you need to be within 160 miles of Chicago, or I’ll never make it.

Guess that mean’s you’ll have to stop by my place first! Glad to see another Chicagoan on AFB.

• Posted: 01 January 2012 12:38 AM #79

macorange - 01 January 2012 12:14 AM

Deal?

One way or round trip , everything is 300 miles from Spokane. Guess which one I’m going to get.

You know, you could stop every 3 hous to shop, eat, sightsee, and recharge.  Wouldn’t take more than 5 days to get here.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 01 January 2012 07:12 PM #80

Brad Hutchings (Bosco) - 30 December 2011 07:11 PM

A bigger theme here for this forum is that many of you discuss Android things through the lens of Apple expectations, which is a mistake….

Saw this a couple days ago in a response by someone else.

Then today I read an article about a NetApplications continuing survey of OS usage on the internet.  Well, having read that article (from a firm that doesn’t care about OSs, other than to publish internet usage share), I couldn’t resist responding to Bosco’s assertion above.

Bosco, please tell us again, just whose expectations are you referring to?

http://tinyurl.com/Java-Overtakes-Android

If a mistake is being made, it is by those that ignore what the market wants.  The market is the source of ALL income, and Android isn’t producing.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 02 January 2012 08:53 AM #81

I know this may sound redundant, but I believe the general issue discussed in this thread is whether Android is slowly bleeding Google.  I find it hard to read which way most posters feel.

Also, Google search is so powerful, it is hard to see any real competition in the future, except via voice (e.g. Siri).

Thanks all,
    Henry Ledgard

• Posted: 02 January 2012 10:35 AM #82

Brad Hutchings (Bosco) - 30 December 2011 08:50 PM

I appreciate that [with Android] there is always the private recourse between a developer and customer of dealing directly without a censor and toll collector in the middle.

App Store customers can also interact directly with app developers. In the meantime, Google is not only a toll collector and censor, it’s a cop too:

http://support.google.com/androidmarket/developer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=113468
    “You must register to be able to distribute your products through Android Market. There is a one time $25 registration fee”

http://support.google.com/androidmarket/developer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=112622
    “For applications that you choose to sell in Android Market, the transaction fee is equivalent to 30% of the application price”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Market
    “In December 2010 Google added content filtering to Android Market”
    “Carriers can also ban certain applications, for example tethering apps”
    “In early March 2011, DroidDream, a trojan rootkit exploit, was released to the Android Market…downloaded more than 50,000 times before Google took action and removed them from the Market….Google started remotely removing the malicious apps from infected devices on March 5th”

And don’t bother bringing up the canard that users can always download Android applications from a developer’s website or through a third party alternative to Android Market—the number of transactions taking place through those sources is minimal to irrelevant.

There is an attitude here that Android must have cheated or defrauded in order to, for example, capture more than half of new smartphone sales currently.

I think Google both lies and misdirects by constantly—and only—harping on about “activations.” I also think that apart from that, a large portion of Android devices are not used as “smart” anything. They are becoming the default generic cell phone. My contention is supported by web traffic surveys and other external indicators that have repeatedly failed to support Google’s claims rearding Android’s supposed unit share growth.

Posted: 02 January 2012 11:02 AM #83

[This post was removed because the moderators arbitrarily censor.]

[ Edited: 08 January 2012 04:39 AM by the_dragonfly ]

Signature

In any society, when the rules are not enforced on some segment of the population, that segment will become increasingly abusive to the innocent. Examples: Cops & Old Timers on this forum.

Posted: 02 January 2012 12:09 PM #84

deasys - 02 January 2012 02:35 PM
    Brad Hutchings (Bosco) - 30 December 2011 08:50 PM

I appreciate that [with Android] there is always the private recourse between a developer and customer of dealing directly without a censor and toll collector in the middle.

App Store customers can also interact directly with app developers. In the meantime, Google is not only a toll collector and censor, it’s a cop too:

http://support.google.com/androidmarket/developer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=113468
    “You must register to be able to distribute your products through Android Market. There is a one time $25 registration fee”

http://support.google.com/androidmarket/developer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=112622
    “For applications that you choose to sell in Android Market, the transaction fee is equivalent to 30% of the application price”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Market
    “In December 2010 Google added content filtering to Android Market”
    “Carriers can also ban certain applications, for example tethering apps”
    “In early March 2011, DroidDream, a trojan rootkit exploit, was released to the Android Market…downloaded more than 50,000 times before Google took action and removed them from the Market….Google started remotely removing the malicious apps from infected devices on March 5th”

And don’t bother bringing up the canard that users can always download Android applications from a developer’s website or through a third party alternative to Android Market—the number of transactions taking place through those sources is minimal to irrelevant.

There is an attitude here that Android must have cheated or defrauded in order to, for example, capture more than half of new smartphone sales currently.

I think Google both lies and misdirects by constantly—and only—harping on about “activations.” I also think that apart from that, a large portion of Android devices are not used as “smart” anything. They are becoming the default generic cell phone. My contention is supported by web traffic surveys and other external indicators that have repeatedly failed to support Google’s claims rearding Android’s supposed unit share growth.

Excellent analysis.  It will be interesting to see the results this qtr in the US market.  Apple offers smart-phones for the first time on three major carriers and the US customers are mostly subsidized on contract.  Will the Android OS growth slow in the US.  When we lump all the data together we lose much detail.  Android is doing extremely well in markets where Apple does not compete especially in the pre-paid market which appears to be much more price sensitive to handset costs.  Apple IMO still has room to address this market in a more robust fashion in 2012.  Having launched both on GSM & CDMA in most of the major markets, the largest growth opportunities are in the emerging markets.  Apple currently offers handsets in the 400, 500, 600 price range, will they offer anything to target the $300 customer or leave that low end territory to the Android army.  I would think they could offer a 3GS kind of handset in 2012 at a lower price point and still get adequate margins, but Apple may be happy just servicing the top half of the smart-phone market like they do in the PC business.

• Posted: 02 January 2012 01:25 PM #85

pats - 02 January 2012 04:09 PM

Apple currently offers handsets in the 400, 500, 600 price range, will they offer anything to target the $300 customer or leave that low end territory to the Android army.  I would think they could offer a 3GS kind of handset in 2012 at a lower price point and still get adequate margins, but Apple may be happy just servicing the top half of the smart-phone market like they do in the PC business.

While still a postpaid handset, the 3GS is being offered on GSM networks for as little as “free”, with a contract.

I don’t know if, or how, Apple is going to address the prepaid market, or even if they should.

Signature

Posted: 13 January 2012 02:06 AM #86

Microsoft doing very well from fees paid by Android phone makers…

http://parislemon.com/post/15745279586/google-is-making-a-killing-off-of-android-and-by

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/lg-signs-android-chrome-os-patent-deal-with-microsoft/11636

[ Edited: 13 January 2012 02:09 AM by Red Shirted Ensign ]

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before