Air Play & ITV

Posted: 27 December 2011 08:19 PM

I have wondered why Apple has not let us play app games on our TV sets thru ATV set top box via Air Play.

I have heard it would be to hard to size the games for all the different size TV ‘s that are out in the wild.
    Is that what the big thing could be with the new ITV rumored to be coming next year?

Apple will sell there brand TV (ITV) solving the problem of size of the TV set as that would be software loaded into each different size ITV so Air Play app games would be custom fitted onto the screen.

Posted: 27 December 2011 09:54 PM #1

You wouldn’t size apps for the TV size, you’d deal with the output resolution (1080p or 720p). Just like a DVD or TV show does now.

The issue would be how do you interact with the Apple TV. I’ve always imagined it as being controlled by one or more iPhones as the controllers to the game system. I’m sure they’ll release it soon, then the game market will have a new iOS device to deal with.

Posted: 28 December 2011 08:05 AM #2

Infohunter - 28 December 2011 12:19 AM

I have wondered why Apple has not let us play app games on our TV sets thru ATV set top box via Air Play.

I have heard it would be to hard to size the games for all the different size TV ‘s that are out in the wild.
    Is that what the big thing could be with the new ITV rumored to be coming next year?

Apple will sell there brand TV (ITV) solving the problem of size of the TV set as that would be software loaded into each different size ITV so Air Play app games would be custom fitted onto the screen.

You can play any game on your iPhone 4S or iPad 2 with display mirroring on your TV via Apple TV. For some games, the device switches into a controller and the game is shown only on the TV.

You can read more about it here: http://www.asymco.com/2011/12/12/hiding-in-plain-sight/

Signature

Read more at: Asymco Blog

Posted: 28 December 2011 10:46 AM #3

Infohunter - 28 December 2011 12:19 AM

There is no restrictions as far as games using AirPlay, in fact the iOS AirPlay frameworks allows some unique options when a game uses the frameworks.  The best current example is Firemint’s real racing 2
    http://firemint.com/2011/partyplay/

[ Edited: 28 December 2011 11:36 AM by pats ]