Airport Extreme Base Station

• Posted: 07 January 2012 07:20 PM

Bought one today.  Never had a wireless network before.

Brought it home, followed the instructions

Oh, iMac, Intel OS X 10.6.8 Airport Utility 5.5.3

Comcast cable service, Motorola cable modem

I unplugged the ethernet modem from the computer, plugged into the WAN port on the Airport, plugged in the Airport.  Sold amber for a bit (indicating start up routine).  I fire up Airport Utility tell it to scan and it finds nothing.  The Airport Extreme is sitting on the same desk as the iMac.

See nothing helpful in the little manual that came with the unit.

Help smile

Posted: 07 January 2012 07:36 PM #1

Hm… The manual should have a reset procedure.  Resetting the Airport Extreme might make it easier to detect. 

Also, the Airport series takes about 1-2 minutes to go active if the Express units I’ve used are any indication.  While it’s restarting the AirPort unit can’t be detected, because it’s not up and running yet.

It is kinda maddening unfortunately, and Apple still needs to do more to simplify the wireless network setup process.  If the Mac isn’t working, and you have an iOS 5.0+ device, try using that to set up your network.  Either AirPort Utility is built-in or you can download it easily.

[ Edited: 07 January 2012 07:38 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 07 January 2012 08:21 PM #2

Thanks Mav

I set it up with the iPad.  Much simpler.  iPad and both iPhones on the wifi now.  Airport utility on the iMac still does not find the base station when scanning for it and is not online.

Light on the Airport Extreme is Green.

Part way there anyway.  I guess I could run get an Ethernet cable and plug the iMac into one of the other ports on the Airport extreme

Seems odd, though

• Posted: 07 January 2012 09:14 PM #3

roni - 08 January 2012 12:21 AM

Thanks Mav

I set it up with the iPad.  Much simpler.  iPad and both iPhones on the wifi now.  Airport utility on the iMac still does not find the base station when scanning for it and is not online.

Light on the Airport Extreme is Green.

Part way there anyway.  I guess I could run get an Ethernet cable and plug the iMac into one of the other ports on the Airport extreme

Seems odd, though

I have this iMac plugged into the Airport Extreme with cable.  After that, the Airport Utility recognized the base station and I repeated the set up I had done on the iPad.

Wireless icon still grayed out, still tells me that Airport is not configured when I click on it.

Old G5 iMac in back bedroom is signed onto the network I set up with the iPad.  I am happy for now.

Thanks for the advice!!

Posted: 07 January 2012 09:33 PM #4

roni, your iMac still plugged into the Airport Extreme?  If so I know what it is.  You’re not seeing any wireless because the iMac is directly plugged into the AirPort Extreme (one benefit of the base station vs. Express).  Since you have Ethernet passthrough, wireless access is therefore redundant and OS X acts accordingly.  I bet if you remove the Ethernet cable from the Mac, you can now access the network wirelessly.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 07 January 2012 09:45 PM #5

Mav - 08 January 2012 01:33 AM

roni, your iMac still plugged into the Airport Extreme?  If so I know what it is.  You’re not seeing any wireless because the iMac is directly plugged into the AirPort Extreme (one benefit of the base station vs. Express).  Since you have Ethernet passthrough, wireless access is therefore redundant and OS X acts accordingly.  I bet if you remove the Ethernet cable from the Mac, you can now access the network wirelessly.

Probably so, but the iMac did not see the base station at all until it was plugged into to it. 

The iMac, the modem and the Airport Extreme all live on the same desk, so that is okay with me.  All other devices, including an iMac in the back bedroom see and are on the wireless network.

I am good with that.