Bloomberg: Apple just kicked off iPad 3 production? with LTE?

• Posted: 13 January 2012 05:17 PM

Bloomberg reports that Apple has just begun production of the next-generation iPad. According to their report (currently just via Twitter), production started this month, January. The iPad 3 is rumored to be more of an ?iPad 2S? with a similar design, improved cameras, a new processor, and a Retina Display. We?ll update when Bloomberg has more.

Bloomberg has pushed out another tweet saying the new iPad will connect to LTE networks and will have a sharper screen.

@adropofreality Confirmed by to three familiar with product. Will have sharper screen, LTE access. Apologies if it wasn?t of interest.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/13/bloomberg-apple-just-kicked-off-ipad-3-production/

Main Article:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-13/apple-said-to-prepare-march-ipad-3-debut-with-sharper-screen-faster-chip.html

Is it reasonable to assume that iPads will get LTE before iPhones?

• Posted: 13 January 2012 05:29 PM #1

Would like to see it in order to guarantee the iphone5 will have LTE although it’s hardly neccesary for the ipad.  My biggest worry for Apple in 2012 is no LTE.  If I recall the wifi only ipads are more popular than the ones with 3g.  Of course if apple can get the chipsets in sufficient quantity it’s in their interest to encourage the adoption of LTE asap in order to promote carriers to invest more heavily in LTE.

“Apple is bringing LTE to the Ipad before the iphone because it has a bigger battery said one of the people”
    Talk about poorly sourced.  Bloomberg is referring to one of Apples “Asian manufacturing partners” but theres no clarification if this is based on an eye witness account of ipad3 manufacturing or just speculation.

[ Edited: 13 January 2012 05:33 PM by AndrewLing ]      
  • Posted: 13 January 2012 05:33 PM #2

AndrewLing - 13 January 2012 09:29 PM

Would like to see it in order to guarantee the iphone5 will have LTE although it’s hardly neccesary for the ipad.  My biggest worry for Apple in 2012 is no LTE.  If I recall the wifi only ipads are more popular than the ones with 3g.  Of course if apple can get the chipsets in sufficient quantity it’s in their interest to encourage the adoption of LTE asap in order to promote carriers to invest more heavily in LTE.

I believe the main issue with LTE, besides the low network coverage, is still the high power consumption. All such devices currently in the market have very low battery life. Perhaps Apple’s chip design efforts might venture into wireless connectivity solutions as well.

• Posted: 13 January 2012 05:43 PM #3

I assume the LTE chip will be in addition to the GSM and CDMA chips, correct?  So if we assume the LTE chip isnt active when outside the coverage area and possibly when not downloading heavily then we can compare the power consumption relative to performance.  e.g.  a one minute download on LTE equals a 10 minute on GSM there potentially saving battery life if using some battery management.  Perhaps LTE can be used as a turbocharger which only comes on during badwidth intensive tasks.

• Posted: 13 January 2012 05:45 PM #4

The other issue besides power consumption is spectrum fragmentation.  38 different frequencies by 2015.  For a company like Apple who wish to use a small number of configs to address a global market, this is a real problem.

• Posted: 13 January 2012 05:52 PM #5

AndrewLing - 13 January 2012 09:43 PM

I assume the LTE chip will be in addition to the GSM and CDMA chips, correct?  So if we assume the LTE chip isnt active when outside the coverage area and possibly when not downloading heavily then we can compare the power consumption relative to performance.  e.g.  a one minute download on LTE equals a 10 minute on GSM there potentially saving battery life if using some battery management.  Perhaps LTE can be used as a turbocharger which only comes on during badwidth intensive tasks.

This is not how it works.  My company integrated an LTE radio into one of our products, and the power hit cannot be avoided, unless you turn off LTE entirely.  The radios are not designed to go in and out of turbo mode.  I think that most integrators will just wait for the power consumption to get better rather than spending time and money on workarounds. 

Also, the average user does not want to be bothered with the hassle of switching LTE on and off to save their battery life.  Defeats the whole purpose of having it in the first place.

• Posted: 13 January 2012 06:06 PM #6

So, I’ve started caching some eggs for launch in March.  Should be good and rotten by then. LOL.

Posted: 13 January 2012 06:12 PM #7

calvinav - 13 January 2012 09:17 PM

Bloomberg reports that Apple has just begun production of the next-generation iPad. According to their report (currently just via Twitter), production started this month, January. The iPad 3 is rumored to be more of an ?iPad 2S? with a similar design, improved cameras, a new processor, and a Retina Display. We?ll update when Bloomberg has more.

Bloomberg has pushed out another tweet saying the new iPad will connect to LTE networks and will have a sharper screen.

@adropofreality Confirmed by to three familiar with product. Will have sharper screen, LTE access. Apologies if it wasn?t of interest.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/13/bloomberg-apple-just-kicked-off-ipad-3-production/

Main Article:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-13/apple-said-to-prepare-march-ipad-3-debut-with-sharper-screen-faster-chip.html

Is it reasonable to assume that iPads will get LTE before iPhones?

Since last fall, I somehow think I know that Apple was looking at a late spring/early summer release of iPad 3 but for the life of me, I don’t know how I know this.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 13 January 2012 06:16 PM #8

“The iPad 3 is rumored to be more of an ?iPad 2S? with a similar design”

Let’s hope they don’t name it the 2S ...

Posted: 13 January 2012 06:27 PM #9

AndrewLing - 13 January 2012 09:43 PM

Apple has consistently said they are waiting on second generation chipset.  I take them at their word and most likely they will stick with Qualcomm as the effort to switch suppliers is not trivial and they just picked Qualcomm with the Verizon iPhone 4.  So the roadmap for Qualcomm is the MDM 9615/8215

Back in Feb 2010 they said

The MDM9615 and MDM8215 are designed to pair up with the WTR1605 radio frequency IC and PM8018 power management IC to provide a highly integrated chipset solution. The WTR1605 will be Qualcomm?s first Radio Transceiver in Wafer Level Package and will be a highly integrated radio transceiver with multi-mode (LTE FDD, LTE TDD, CDMA, WCDMA, TD-SCDMA, GSM) and multi-band support. The WTR1605 will be optimized for low power consumption and small footprint and will integrate a high performance GPS core with GLONASS support. Samples of the MDM9615, MDM8215, WTR1605 and PM8018 are anticipated to be available in late 2011.

If Apple is a lead customer which I assume they are we are on an aggressive release schedule for a March launch but money can buy slots in the queue.

• Posted: 13 January 2012 06:42 PM #10

Time to take something off of Q2 iPad 2 sale estimates, I reckon.

Posted: 13 January 2012 06:45 PM #11

firestorm - 13 January 2012 10:16 PM

“The iPad 3 is rumored to be more of an ?iPad 2S? with a similar design”

Let’s hope they don’t name it the 2S ...

‘Cause 2+ sounds better.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 13 January 2012 06:56 PM #12

Eric Landstrom - 13 January 2012 10:12 PM

Since last fall, I somehow think I know that Apple was looking at a late spring/early summer release of iPad 3 but for the life of me, I don’t know how I know this.

I think it’s your intuition telling you that in the long run, it’s horrible to release a new version of what should be Christmas’s hottest selling gadget just 2.5 months after Christmas is over. I’ll gladly take the negligible EPS hit now while iPhone 4S is ramping up in China for the long-term benefit of new(ish) iPad hype for the holidays.

• Posted: 13 January 2012 08:19 PM #13

pats - 13 January 2012 10:27 PM

Back in Feb 2010 they said

The MDM9615 and MDM8215 are designed to pair up with the WTR1605 radio frequency IC and PM8018 power management IC to provide a highly integrated chipset solution. The WTR1605 will be Qualcomm?s first Radio Transceiver in Wafer Level Package and will be a highly integrated radio transceiver with multi-mode (LTE FDD, LTE TDD, CDMA, WCDMA, TD-SCDMA, GSM) and multi-band support. The WTR1605 will be optimized for low power consumption and small footprint and will integrate a high performance GPS core with GLONASS support. Samples of the MDM9615, MDM8215, WTR1605 and PM8018 are anticipated to be available in late 2011.

If Apple is a lead customer which I assume they are we are on an aggressive release schedule for a March launch but money can buy slots in the queue.

Late 2011 would be far too late for the ipad3 and possibly even too late for the iphone5.  The iphone has been about making other devices obselete such as gps, cameras, mp3players, portable game players.  LTE would be a huge leap forward in that it would make wired broadband obselete.  If people were to save $50/month on their broadband connection they could put that savings towards a new iphone every year.  Siri has doubled bandwidth usage of the iphone 4s vs the iphone4.  That’s a good thing as the more people use their iphone the more they cant live without it.  LTE will allow people to use and therefore need their ios devices even more!

[ Edited: 13 January 2012 08:21 PM by AndrewLing ]      

Posted: 13 January 2012 08:37 PM #14

roni - 13 January 2012 10:42 PM

We should already be doing so even assuming the usual March iPad initial launch.

Apple KNOWS from empirical evidence that the 15-month smartphone cycle is bad for sales.  Will it do the same given upcoming Ice Cream Sandwich tablets?  Then it has to know what’ll happen - possibly moreso if iPad has stronger seasonality.

Apple will shoot for March iPad 3 if at all possible, I think.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 13 January 2012 09:31 PM #15

Mav - 14 January 2012 12:37 AM
    roni - 13 January 2012 10:42 PM

We should already be doing so even assuming the usual March iPad initial launch.

Apple KNOWS from empirical evidence that the 15-month smartphone cycle is bad for sales.  Will it do the same given upcoming Ice Cream Sandwich tablets?  Then it has to know what’ll happen - possibly moreso if iPad has stronger seasonality.

Apple will shoot for March iPad 3 if at all possible, I think.

Yes, but Tim and Oppie were sure all the advanced publicity on the new iPhone is caused lower iPhone sales in Q4 - and the advance publicity on the new iPad will have a similar effect